MUNINET Archives

January 1999

MUNINET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
JOHN P CUSHING <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:33:33 -0500
        Well, you all can see that the State Government wants to simplify
the taxpayers lives. Let the taxpayers continue to pay all their property
taxes at their town offices. (See article of January 22, 1999 in the
Burlington Free Press.)
        Several of us spoke before the House Ways and Means Committee
yesterday. We did not speak about the fine points or on a draft bill, but
we did speak about the following issues.

        1. A $6.00 per parcel fee for the Town to have the
Town Treasurer collect the State Wide Taxes. I     do not believe
this will be paid for more than            one year.
        2. We asked to keep it simple and to let the       system
stay as close to the Town's current        collection system .
        3. The delinquent taxes should not be an           obligation of
the Town.

All these issues must be worked out, but it is hard to do without first
having a draft. Please try to keep in touch with any matters of concern.
I will try to keep you up on the issues as they arise.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]