SKIVT-L January 1999, Week 5

Sugarbush 29JAN99

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:53:04 -0500

        Well, this elongated clipper system really dropped a nice dump
of snow on us over the past couple of days.  In Burlington, we picked up
about 6 inches of incredibly light fluff.  To clear off my car, all I
had to do was slam the door, or run my hand along the top and the stuff
would just disappear.  I initially would have gone to Mad River Glen,
but Bennett had to work, and my other roommates weren't leaving until
around 10:30 or so.  Since the 'bush opened by at least 8:30, that would
make for a good bunch of runs before work.  I ran a bit late, so I
decided to head over to Mt. Ellen and I pulled into the parking lot at
around 8:30; about 30-40 cars were there already.  Temperatures felt
approximately single digits, but wind was minimal , and the sky was blue
so things were looking good.
        As another SkiVTer already mentioned, the Green Mountain Quad is
not running on weekdays, so I hopped on the Inverness (which would have
been my choice anyway; same amount of ride time basically, but you
actually get some vertical).  Gates were being set up on the Inverness
trail, which meant, uh oh, they probably had various Inverness trails
closed :(.  The GMVS Poma line looked sweet, only one set of tracks, but
alas that was closed; so were Brambles and Semi-Tough (hey if these
don't open today, they'll be nice for tracks tomorrow at least on the
sides).  Walt's Trail was open, but had been groomed and I could still
see a few pieces of brush sticking up.  So, I took the North Ridge
Expressway over to the North Ridge Chair.  On my way, I caught the last
little bit of Lower Northstar, finding a couple inches of champagne on
top of previously groomed, yum!  I veered off the side and found about 8
inches of light stuff, things were looking great and it was only my
first 1/10 of a run.
        Heading up the North Ridge, I noticed a skier coming down
Cliffs, and made a mental note in my head.  Hopped off the chair, and
headed to Rim Run.  Oh man, two tracks on the whole trail (most people
had taken Elbow I guess) and it was ready for some big ol' turns.  The
surface here was 2-3 inches of pow on top of nicely groomed.  It was an
interesting sensation, since at the speed I was going, the shovels of my
shaped skis were just about floating, but I was just on the verge of
carving underneath as well.  I had to fluctuate between carving and
powder mode, sometimes the shovel would surf, sometimes carve, but
always fun.  I followed down to the base of the Summit Chair, and
recalled that Cliffs was open.  On Cliffs I found ungroomed conditions,
however, it appears that Cliffs was open yesterday, and the new snow had
been tracked up.  I was skiing on the six inches of new that fell after
these people.  This was certainly not bottomless, the powder was way too
light to keep me off the bottom, and I definitely hit the crusty stuff
below.  This was minor though, and only at the hardest part of the turn
(and it could be avoided if you worked at it and didn't crank too
hard).  At the bottom of Cliffs, I caught the last bit of Hammerhead,
which was closed, and therefore had about 10 inches of powder on top of
the old snow, hmmmm, maybe we'll have to check back in here later ;).
Next run was basically the same route, except I hit the mini terrain
park on upper looking good (since it was ungroomed) and found 6-10
inches of powder (depending on how far to the sides I went).  I sampled
a little bit of Hammerhead, and even with the 10 inches of powder, I was
still hitting bottom.  I plowed through the deep stuff for a bit (it was
awesome by the way but it was technically closed) before cutting back to
Cliffs.  If they don't open it until tomorrow, bring some skis that you
don't mind possible scratching, and you could hammer it!  Just be
careful as the powder probably hides mysterious nasties below!
        Next time up the North Ridge, I observed the crazy snowmaking
problem that they had on Cruiser.  The guns had made these big spines
(like in the terrain park) and they were being marked off by a
patroller.  They look like loads of fun as long as you know they are
there.  I followed my previous route to the summit chair, and this time
went up.  Black Diamond was open, and looked pretty good, but there was
certainly some bare stuff underneath.  I headed down Rim Run, and found
the very upper section yucked up with heavy machine made snow (no big
loss if I'd never hit the summit); probably necessary for coverage
though.  This time down, I went to the Godzilla terrain park.  They have
a dozen or so different hits in there: spines, jumps, quarter pipes.
All I can say is that I was the second one through and it was a blast!
Normally they just turn into a big mess of ice packed snow, but with all
this fluff on top, it was great.  Even still, some of the landings were
hard because the snow just gets pushed out of the way.
        It was time to be getting to work, so I headed past the
interconnect and hit Crackerjack.  The groomers had not left the nice
swath of freshies on the right side this time, nuts!  I went over to
Sugar Run, and again, they had groomed it so damn nicely that I would
have had to go brush hoggin' to catch the strips of fresh on the side.
(Mind you, when things get more tracked out, I'll be there ;).  Now, of
course this is a learning area, so grooming has it's place, but still,
they had to miss something!  I looked to my right and skated up to the
top of the Sunshine double lift line (Easy Street).  Here's where we hit
pay dirt.  The 20-30 feet to the left of the lift towers was left
untouched by the groomers.  Did they know I was coming?  Was this my
special powder day present?  Oh yeah!  10 inches of champagne on top of
a nice base at a mellow grade.  No hitting bottom here!  Shot the whole
section, even got a couple powder airs.  I had to go... but no way!  I
hopped on the little Sunshine Chair and hit it again with a parallel set
of turns because it was so damn fine!  Once again, the greens deliver
the goods!  Anyway, for people that are going out tomorrow (I think I
NEED to after today), you'll be able to find some great snow.  The
temperatures are going to stay nice and cold so whatever you find
untracked will be sweet.

J.Spin