LISTSERV Archives

EDSS-295 Home

EDSS-295  February 1999

EDSS-295 February 1999

Re: research help on banner ads

Steve Cavrak <[log in to unmask]>

Telecommunications and the Information Highway <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:59:05 -0500

<<
My research interest has been the effectiveness of
banner ads on the Web--what are the antecedents of
banner clicking.  As a project for my doctoral
dissertation, I am conducting an on-line survey of
audience processing of banner ads (factors affecting
banner click-through).

Sounds interesting ... and it might have some useful
insights about how folks actually "read" the web ...

as well as how something like this is "assessed" --
i.e. there are several different measures of effectiveness.

1. the ability of a banner add to "divert" attention from
   the current page to a new page on the "sponsors" site
   (click through)

2. the ability of a person to recall seeing a "banner ad"
   (this is sometimes called "recognition", or "persistence
   of vision" :)

3. the transfer of new information ... planting an idea
   in someones head. (sort of like the microsoft assitants)

As a measure of a "good" banner ad, I just ran across
one that advertiser

        [ Re-Invent  Yourself ]
        [  jobs.internet.com  ]

The two messages alternated, red, white, black.

Steve