SKIVT-L February 1999, Week 1

Re: scary skiing situations

Matt Duffy <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:52:04 PST

      Good morning Kim. Tell me what you think. Will anyone make it
through the 1st paragraph without deleting?

>            There has been a lot of talk on skiing deaths on this list
>recently.  Have any of you gotten into a scary situation while you were
>skiing when you thought your life may have been at risk.  Out of
control
>slides, avalanches, unintentional falls off cliffs, ice falls at Tucks?
>I would be interested to hear some of your stories.
>

>        Doug

     I've got a good one. This is a good example of why you shouldn't go
exploring in the woods by yourself. As my posts have indicated though, I
still do it. I am much more careful than I used to be. Some of you may
remember reading about this in the newspaper a couple of years ago. Here
is something I will never forget:

                      January 16, 1997

             It was a beautiful day at Smugglers Notch. There was a
clear blue, sunny sky and the temperature was about 20 degrees. I had
shedded several layers, finally finding comfort in long underwear,
windpants, hat, goggles, gloves and a windbreaker. In the previous week,
it had dumped powder galore. In the woods, there were still many
freshies to be had. I had rented a pair of Elan SCX's and was in love
with the way they performed in powder. So much, in fact, that I ended up
buying a pair. There were still places in the woods with untracked,
thigh deep powder. That's where I was, whooping it up all day. I darted
back and forth through trees with reckless abandon.

              At around 2:00, I was in the Wishbone/Hershey
Highway/Short + Sweet vicinity where I noticed several sets of tracks
going every which way. I gave in to my curiosity and started following
them. A couple sets of them zig-zagged all over the place, but
eventually looped back to the Long Trail, without making any descent. I
decided to give one last set a chance. These led me through some thick
pines before coming to a small clearing. The tracks stopped here, where
someone had a change of heart, turned around and went back. I did not
know it at the time, but all of this poking around had me a little
disoriented. There was an opening on the opposite side of the clearing.
I went over to take a look. It was VERY inviting. It was a little bit
narrow, steep and UNTOUCHED. I could see about 6-8 turns in it before it
dropped out of site. The snow glistened in the afternoon sun, beckoning
for someone to ski it. Not unlike a drug addict, this powder junkie
could not resist the high quality temptation that was right in front of
me.

               I went for it. It was epic. After the initial burst of
turns, the chute got steeper and wider, twisted and turned into some
dense trees, got wider again, lost some pitch then gained it back and
thensome, then it spilled me out over a surprising 12 foot ledge,
dropping me into a gully with an 'in your face' powder splash that
covered me head to toe. All of this in the first minute or so! I stopped
to wipe off my goggles. My heart was racing, adrenaline pumping. I had
just begun the best powder run of my life. It also was the beginning of
a very HARSH adventure.

               I could see about 20 yards or so down the gully until it
made a sharp right. Near the turn, the gully became deeper and wider. I
was guessing that I was on top of a frozen-over brook. With clear
goggles, I was back in action. When I reached that 1st corner, it became
quite a thrill ride. The pitch had increased and for a while I skied up
and down the sides as if I were in a giant, powder filled halfpipe that
meandered back and forth down the mountain. It started getting narrow
again, which prompted me to just let gravity do it's thing. I stayed in
the middle and floated effortlessly around corner after corner, just
spiralling into the unknown. In retrospect, I think this was very
symbolic of unknowingly being flushed down a huge toilet.

               The guess I made earlier was correct. I had come upon a
waterfall. It was about a 15 footer, frozen over and covered with snow.
I could hear the water rushing below the surface. There was a way around
it, but with all that powder pillow of a landing and my blood being
about 90% adrenaline by this time, what do you think I did?

                Poof!!!!  It felt like punctuating a joyous exclamation.
The landing was flat, which stopped me completely. This was fine
because, once again, my goggles were full of snow. I lifted them up,
wiped off my face and checked my watch(I had one back then). This
started to take the wind out of my sails. It was almost 3:00.

                Not including the time I spent poking around the Long
Trail, I had been skiing for at least 25 minutes. I should have come out
on a ski trail about 23 minutes ago(hence the name "Short + Sweet") The
gully pretty much flattened out at this point and the walls had become
tall, rugged looking cliffs. I pushed on a little further hoping to see
something, anything familiar. No such luck. It was a bit of a sinking
feeling. I was still taking in all of the wild scenery, but was also
feeling the dread of making the upcoming decision.

                I was guessing that I had skied down the backside of the
crotch where Sterling and Madonna meet each other. Not knowing the
geography of what or how far the next town was in this direction(?),
only one choice seemed to make sense: Go back the way I came. All of my
glee was long gone by now. I was very angry with myself. Walking back
through all of that snow was going to be a lot of work. I remember
thinking it would probably take a couple of hours, and that I would be
late for work. I was working for a restaurant at the time, and my shift
that night was 5:00 to 11:00 pm.

                I stood there sulking for a couple of minutes. I had
worked up quite a sweat and was starting to cool off. I could feel that
the temperature was dropping. It was time to get moving. I clicked out
of the bindings and instantly sank almost to my waist in powder. Great.

                Progress was slow. After 20 minutes of angrily trudging,
I still hadn't gotten back to the waterfall. I was already getting
tired. I had stopped for a little rest when I heard a strange, low
pitched, muffled noise. Then I began to feel it. Just as the synapse
occurred in my brain, I was helplessly dropping through the ice.

                It all seemed to happen in slow motion. All in one
motion, I let go of the skis and stuck my arms out, catching myself on
the way down. As if I wasn't scared enough; while supporting my weight
completely with my arms, my feet were not touching bottom. I kicked
wildly for a moment. Instant and intense fear followed.

                I must have been in shock, because it seemed to take no
effort whatsoever to pull my self out, grab the skis(luckily, they
landed next to the hole) and roll towards the side of the gully. There
was a big hump in the snow, presumably it was a big rock. I clung to it
for a while, nervous and shaking out of control. I looked over at the
hole. It was about 4 feet in diameter, and from my angle, the water
looked very dark.

                 My poles were not in site. I thought they had either
been swallowed up as I nearly was, or they were buried in the snow. In
either case, there was no way that I was about to go walking back near
the middle again.

                 They were in my white-knuckled right fist. I really
needed to calm down. I gave it a minute, then struggled to my feet and
was eventually able to click into the bindings with a squish, squish. I
contemplated taking off my boots to dump out the water, but decided not
to expose my feet to the rapidly cooling air. It didn't matter if I
dumped them out, my feet were going to be wet and I needed to keep
moving.

                 Progress was even slower with skis on my feet, but I
felt safer with them. When I finally reached the waterfall, I was forced
to take them off again to make the climb. This made me very nervous. I
stayed as far to the side as I could and never fell through. The
sidewall of the gully was too steep to attempt, I would have to climb up
next to the 'fall. It was extremely frustrating. I could not get any
leverage at all. It was like trying to swim uphill.

                 I went through a painful process that I would be forced
to embrace throughout most of the way up the mountain. I would toss my
poles up above me, take my skis(which were locked together, the way you
would carry them) and stab them into the snow as far as I could reach
above me. I then would grab them and pull myself up a few feet at a
time, hoping they would hold. These steps were repeated over and over,
hour after hour. Very often the skis did not hold, and I would slide
back, further down than I started. Finding my poles was not always easy
either. If they were not the expensive composite poles that they were, I
would have left them behind without a thought. I almost did anyway.

                  Climbing the 15 feet or so next to the waterfall took
almost an hour. By this time, it was dark. It wasn't quite this
difficult the whole way. Sometimes there were trees to grab onto, and
there were brief sections where the pitch relaxed a bit, too.

                  I never stopped for more than 30 seconds to rest. I
knew that to do so would put me at great risk for severe frostbite, even
hypothermia. Having been submerged in freezing water from the waist
down, I was already at risk.

                  Outside of being very cold, the weather was actually
cooperative. There was almost no wind at all, and the sky was crystal
clear. I remember thinking everything was so very beautiful. The stars
sparkled, the moon was bright, and the snow shimmered like glitter. It
was so pure and natural. Just beautiful.

                  I did NOT spend the entire time taking in the scenery.
In fact, most of the time I was oblivious to it. I would notice it now
and then, and it would help keep me sane. About a million things went
through my head that night. I certainly had plenty of time to think. It
ended up taking me more than 9 hours to get back to the Long Trail.
Thoughts of my then 3-yr. old son Alexander, my family, friends, what if
I lose limbs out of this deal, I just want to lay down and pass
out,...etc. filled my head.

                 Several times I came very close to crying out for help.
I knew it would be futile, and never did it. I thought it might put me
over the edge and make me frantic. I tried to keep a clear head the best
that I could. For almost the whole way, I never really felt terribly
cold, except for my feet. I was actually sweating profusely, the entire
time.