SKIVT-L February 1999, Week 1

Spruce/Stowe/Smuggs 1/29 - 2/1

Dan Barron <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Feb 1999 03:10:22 -0500

Just home from a great 4-day

Here's a long reminiscence on:
Friday at Spruce (heaven)
Saturday woods at Stowe
Mixed Sunday: Stowe woods, Spruce, Smuggs
Monday Smuggs

After a messy, mostly one-lane drive up 89, got the missus checked in
around 10:30 Friday morning and shot off with daughter Laura to sample
some of the powder I was sick of driving in. Wasn't exactly planning it,
but once at Stowe, the car just sorta headed for Spruce. It was a good
turn.

Friday was a legitimate yesterday, the worthy subject of that lift-ride
phrase so happily spoken, so sad to hear: "ya shoulda been here
yesterday."

The powder was delightfully light, deep enough to provide perfect
maneuverability on top of a slightly icy-crunchy base. It almost felt
like training wheels for ice: you could feel the slipperiness
underneath, but the powder held you up. Laura and I had it practically
to ourselves on Spruce.

Practically, but not totally. On our second ride up Big Spruce, still
about 1/3 from the top, looked down at one of the few skiers there to
see it's Jerm. He patiently waited for Laura and me to catch up at
crossover # 1, then we did a run down ungroomed (everything was
ungroomed) and largely untracked Main Street (I think), a lot of it
through light brush. Laura was a bit surprised to see a green plaid
person (in her book, a skiing computer nerd) rip.

At the bottom, Jerm took off to meet someone at Stowe. We stayed at
Spruce. Laura was having a blast snowboarding on Sterling. I switched
off between skiing that with her and poaching Whirlaway then back to
Crossover 1 then down. The steep section of Whirlaway right near the top
was pretty bare (especially the first time I hit it, unprepared), but
from there on the trail offered great fresh and also great turns in the
skied-up ex-powder. I did it 5 or six times over the next few days.

All of skiers right from the top of Spruce was roped off. Never did
figure out how it got so tracked up. But no matter. Remaining three open
(or semi-open) trails on Spruce felt like 12 most other places (and take
just as long riding up). Dips, steeps, woods, powder, brushfields.
Powder was boot-deep and just made for bouncing high-speed little turns,
as it was too light to slow you down much, but just thick enough to give
reliability and control. An all-time top ten ski day.

Friday Odds n ends: Learned to love mittens. Fantastic eye-candy effect
as myriad (that's a greek word) snow crystals blown from the trees
sparkled in bright sunshine air.

Saturday AM was supposed to meet Lars Bruns and Jerm at quad, but
breakfast with the family held me up. Took off instead to do Stowe
woods. Traversed into woods past Nosedive Bypass. Crossing trails look
like almost nothing but, always-surprisingly, continue. Was amazed after
traversing 100 yards??? to find wide open area, still way steep-o, but
open enough and wide enough to be nowhere near as hard as they look.
List folk, does that area have a name?

Other runs on Saturday were in Tres Amigos glades, woods left of Goat
(Goat itself  was icy compared to o.p. offerings) and woods between
liftline and natl. Ended again off bypass but not as far in.

Lars Bruns wrote:
> , but couldn't
> catch up.
[Had to leave that part in. Haha]
> Who has the brown teleboots and plaid on a string??

Lars, if that wasn't Andre you saw, maybe it was me? I had on brown tele
boots and green plaid on a string off the back of my blue jacket. Purple
hat. Black pants. I did my last run of the morning at 1:20 off bypass
and down to the quad.

Saturday afternoon went over to the Gondola with Laura. She enjoyed the
blues, finding powder on the sides, but groomed trails Saturday had
begun to get icy. Laura does not ascribe to the "tough conditions make
you a better skier (or snowboarder)" school of snow karma. Still, she
made it down bumpy chin clip in good spirits if not good form. We'd been
lured by lower chin clip, which was sweet; upper was scrapy.

Sunday morning, riding up the quad, get into a conversation with a
downhiller thinking about trying out teles, and trying to figure out
whether she wants plastic or leather. I and two others on the lift
blather on and on on the subject (consensus: learn on leather; spoken
reason: it makes you do the turn right; unspoken reason: we suffered,
you can suffer too). As I ski off the top, the apsiring tele'er says hey
wait. Was my explanation that cool? No (shucks). She saw the plaid on my
back. I'd missed hers. The telemarker to be is none other than PattiMac.

We did a high velocity (for me, anyway) run down nosedive
together--Friday's powder is Sunday's groomed lightening--then rode back
up, offering prayers to Janine the Snow Goddess (PattiMac has this
theory). Had fun practicing the tiniest little carved tele turns, going
full speed downhill and just angling 2 degrees to the left, two degrees
to the right, riding the arc, not allowing the slightest skid. It felt
like I was sucking speed up from the hill's each little rise and dip.

Sunday afternoon hop over to Smuggs. The traverse is pretty fast now.
Get in a couple runs at a place I've only really skied once and don't
really know. It seems to have a multiple personality. Got on a few
screamin groomers, just made for floorin it. Had a blast in Highlander
Glades and (Lower) Doc Dempsey glades. Icy in some spots, fresh lines to
be had in others.

Lower Chilcoot is a ton o' fun. Weird shaped, highly irregular moguls,
some almost like mini-whales (porpoises?). Snow surface of 1/2 to 1 inch
on top of anything hard gave plenty of maneuverabilty. Great time trying
to make the brain go fast enough to tell the feet to turn fast enough to
make the bumps even out into some kind of dancing path.

Monday morning is a lot like Sunday afternoon. Try little Spruce, hoping
to get to some different areas on the mountian, but still can't find the
ungroomed I saw from the lift. The soft powder from Friday, where it was
cut up, has hardened up with the last two days of super-cold. It's not
cement, but instead of the surface giving for the top 6", now only the
top 1/2" gives. Not so much fun.

Over on Smuggs, the glades are getting better. By noonish Monday, the
temps have warmed up for the first time since Friday. The run back to
Spruce is zippy--hang on through the downhills to cruise the flats and
up-sections. The steeper shot at the bottom quarter of Spruce has
softened up in the sun. The last two days picking through the rocks and
all had been nervous-making and icy; now it was sweet and mellow, I'd
love to do it again. And again...

but the long car drive waited. Called it quits at 1:30, drove home on
the interstate, buzzed on coffee, still practicing my carved
(rubber-tire) turns. Made it home and sat down to type this 3 1/2 day
saga.

telenaut