SKIVT-L February 1999, Week 2

Utah 2/3/99 - 2/7/99

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:47:24 -0500

        I took a quick trip to Utah this past week to see some friends
and enjoy a little skiing.  The snow was nice, although the most notable
part of the trip was having some sort of flu-like thingy that kicked me
in the butt.  So, that aspect of the trip is noted as well as the
skiing.  I have mixed tenses in sort of a narrative and history at
times.  I will leave it that way, enjoying the style in which it
represents my periods of semi-conciousness.

Wednesday Feb. 3 - Departure day.  I am now on the third day of being
sick and second day of chills, sweats and loss of strength.  We (my
friend James Bennett and myself) drive down to Manchester (about 2.5 hr.
from Burlington).  I'm thankful that James was there, I didn't have the
coherence to both drive and navigate due to my flu.  We park in the long
term parking. James saves the day again as I am too weak to carry any of
my heavy ski gear.  Manchester to Chicago to Salt Lake City; traveling
sick is just lovely.  Our friends Chris, Greg and Heather pick us up at
the airport at around 10:30 MST.  We head to Vicki's place in Park City,
they tell us about Monday , their best day of the trip so far where they
received 18 inches or so at Alta.  The Wasatch are visible in the
moonlight, covered in snow, what an awesome sight.  We arrive at the
house that Vicki rents (with one roommate know as "Burner") in Park
City; elevation is about 7100'.  It's a crazy old miner's shack with two
bathrooms right next door to each other; one has sink, toilet and bath,
about 5 feet away is another with sink, toilet and shower.  Perhaps this
is to ensure that when one type of each bathroom item is out of
commission, the other can be used.  It's just how you'd imagine a ski
bum shack to look, rickety, slanted etc., but since it's in Park City,
it's on the market for $300,000 and can not be torn down because of
historical preservation.  All, I can think about is how I need to sleep;
manage to acquire one of the couches (thanks again James for taking the
floor) and eventually fall into a fitful sleep.  I feel like crap.

Thursday, Feb. 4 - Ski day number 1.  I wake up very slowly; overall
body ache is gone, but I feel extremely tired.  Today we will be skiing
with our friends Chris, Greg, Heather, Ian, and Ben at Solitude.  Ian is
on patrol / snow safety at Solitude and has been for a number of years.
He has taken the next two days off to ski with us; we're psyched to see
him and get a fun tour of the mountain.  The snow that fell on Monday
was blasted by 50+ MPH winds into windpack / windcrust, so the powder of
Monday is hard to find.  Ian takes us all over, the best stuff is in the
headwall Forest (my favorite from last time) and Honeycomb Canyon.  We
traverse along Honeycomb on the left side, and eventually decide on an
area to drop in.  The conditions are windcrust/pack, over/with 12"+
powder pockets.  Very tricky and challenging skiing, which jump turns
can make pretty short work of; but alas, I do not have the energy to
keep up turns like that for an extended period.  Still, it was lots of
fun.  The funniest, although I missed it, was Greg skiing a nice patch
of powder, then double ejecting in a thigh-high drift with a wind crust
top.  Of course on the back side was more powder so he was covered in
snow (saw the aftermath) and his poles were hard to find.  I finished
the day with one more run than I should have in the canyon, and by the
middle of the trip, the chills and aches came back, and energy was
drained out of me.  We went to the Thirsty Squirrel (The bar on the
mountain) where all I could do was lay on the couch and try to rest, got
in the car and had to rest more.  As we dropped out of Big Cottonwood
toward Ian's house in Sandy, the 4000' drop took all the mucus in my
head and tried to shove it in my ears.  Now I was tired, chilled,
congested AND deaf.  Everybody got together to have a nice big dinner at
Ian's place, and although I did get to eat, I spent most of the evening
in a state of half-sleep flu-induced delirium on the floor in one of
their rooms.  Eventually we need to get back to Park City, still tired,
still feel like crap.  It is drizzly all the way up to around 6500',
where it finally becomes snow.  God I need to rest but of course there
is the chance of a powder day tomorrow, let's all give a sarcastic Yay!
(Sigh)

Friday, Feb. 5 - Ski day number 2.  I wake up feeling a bit better,
still very slow to move.  I know that today will be the ultimate test of
mind over body over mind; a powder day when I should be resting :(
Still, a solid breakfast (2 bacon egg & cheese biscuits; lipids will
keep me going longer than anything else, part of Bennett's Hash Brown &
Oranges) combined with a quick Red Bull and a Ginseng Tea has got me
feeling the best in days.  Alta is reporting 3-6 new, with 6 more on the
way.  Quick, get me to the powder before this high wears off!  While the
powder was rather heavy (9%) compared to what I had just skied back home
in VT (5-6%), it sure beats nothin'.  I am happy with brief periods of
ecstasy in which my body has the strength to make jump turns down steep
chutes and gullies, but this can only last for so long.  The best stuff
was in the High Rustler / Eagle's Nest area where there was easily 12+
inches, making for AWESOME descents down the steep face.  The chutes in
the Superior lift area were also great, but with a bit less snow.  I
will say that the open bowls are much more fun with fresh powder,
without it, I find that they just tend to be a random assortment of
oddly placed bumps; not much for rhythm.  By around lunch time, the flu
has again caught up with me, and Bennett is also feeling drained.  We
take a break in the cafeteria for an hour (sigh) before finally taking
two more easy runs in the still untracked below high Rustler Eagle's
Nest.  I no longer have the strength to do the upper sections, so we
traverse in lower.  There is still mucho untracked down here, 12+
inches, but as the pitch lessens, it becomes hard to keep going in the
heavy powder.  After these two runs, I am done.  I'm glad that I didn't
kill myself as badly as yesterday; but as I sit in the bar with the big
windows, watching happy people rip it up down Alf's High Rustler, I know
what I was missing.  We meet up with Chris at Ian's, and despite the
potential for hot-tubbing and other fun, I know that I need to rest and
take it easy.  We get back to Park City, pop out for a meal of Ribs at
Texas Red's, and hit the hay.

Saturday, Feb. 6 - Ski day number 3 - not.  We wake up sometime after
5:00 to the sound of avalanche control bombs going off at Park City ski
area.  Such a nice sound when you know what it means.  There had not
been a mega dump, just 4 or 5 inches new.  I had planned to explore the
Canyons resort today in order to formulate my own opinions about this
Utah extension of the ASC empire, but pushing myself for two days has
taken it's toll.  Chris has been in Utah for a week, so he is skied out,
and now James had come down with some disease of his own.  The day is
spent on the couches of the little miner's shack as we watch the tele
and try to regain strength for our trip home.  We were thinking of going
ot Ian's to make up for yesterday, but we are just too spent.  Turns out
that Ian was out until 10:00 PM, working on the situation with the hiker
that was killed in the avalanche on that day.  At least we got to see
him (Ian that is) on the news, despite the grim situation.  Tomorrow, we
head for home, Yay :(

Sunday, Feb. 7 - Return Day.  My condition has improved (or course) for
the day home, while James is on the downward slide.  We get up in the
morning and head out to the airport with Chris.  It's nice to be able to
carry my own bags, but I'm sad as I leave the Wasatch, knowing that more
snow is on the way in the next few days.  My second trip to Utah, my
second time being sick in Utah.  It will take a couple of really nice
trips before I will be able to shake the flu-related memories that I
associate with that place.  I did experience the best Utah ski day I've
had.  Finally on my 8th Utah ski day... 'twas a real powder day.

J.Spin