SKIVT-L February 1999, Week 2

Allentown

Maureen R <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:48:58 PST

I have been a lurker on this list for more than two years, but I feel
the great necessity now of adding my comments to this discussion.  I am
a little late in tunring this in because I did not read my messages
until recently.

Dougie, I think that your comments below are partly based on the fact
that you think that only one type of person reads this list (and I don't
assume that everyone who bonds with Dougie subscribes to his views).  I
would like to enlighten you, compadre, that this is indeed not a fact.
I don't understand how someone as poorly educated, both academically and
in critical judgment as you (as evidenced by the many posts of yours
that I have read), would have the audacity to criticize or judge the
lives of others.  Furthermore, I am not sure how your judgments on
ethnicity/sexual preference, etc have anything to do with skiing.  Why
do you think that anyone cares about what people your parents think are
worthy of association with them?  If YOU and your statements are an
example of what your parents value, I think that speaks for itself.

I would suggest that before you begin criticizing others that you ask
yourself what have you achieved that is of significance, what have you
done that allows you to judge others, particularly, when the source of
your prosperity is your parents and not your own bootstraps.

Trying to join in on this phenomenon of being "politically incorrect"
requires more than a desire to spread your own ignorance.  When it has
any merit (and I think that this is rare) it comments on the hypocrisies
of where we are as a culture, that is, we say one thing publicly, but in
the privacy of our homes, our friendships, and our "groups" we are
saying and acting something else.  The problem with our culture is not
the sentiments of being politically correct, but rather that we have not
found a way to communicate the values inherent in those sentiments.
Instead we still rely on laws and the pressure of public shame to exert
the change in people's behaviors (and with very good reason).

I don't think that Dougie should be banned.  Indeed, I think he should
be ignored.  I can only hope that time and an understanding achieved
through meaningful education will exact the change.  I don't think that
any argument can reach someone who doesn't seem to understand why his
comments in general are offensive to a sizable group of people.  I would
rather assume that you are generally and willfully stupid and therefore
guilty of the arrogance that comes from ignorance, than accept that you
are a hardened and committed fool.  Your actions are so rarely informed
with sense that you don't even rise to the limited intelligence level of
a racist/sexist/homophobe.

And, since free speech and free range haranguing reigns in this forum, I
would also like to direct my comments to Mrs. Slifkin.  If I were you, I
would have to question why I have raised a son of such poor
abilities-and, no, he is NOT a very good writer.  It is surprising that
at his age, he still requires his mother to remind him of the nature of
proper decorum and discourse in a public medium.  Perhaps it is time for
you to sit down with your son and discuss what skills are required for a
young man in the new century of a multi-cultural age--nevermind, that he
does not yet know if I, or anyone else he has insulted, will ever be in
a position to hire or fire him.

Wes' disclaimer is not very satisfying beyond an official statement.  If
this is the state of education at UVM, and this is what I can expect of
the university student body there, (and many of you seem to have gone
there and seen fit to say nothing about his statements), I am glad I
went to a different institution instead.  And to think, that I thought I
was missing something.

Signed,

A concerned skier.

Not to put down Miguel but Allentown is Puerto Rican central.
> 40 percent of my high school was Puerto Rican and equal amounts were
on
> welfare.  Don't get me wrong some of those Puerto Rican girls were hot
> but they were mostly a bunch of assholes who would rather go to jail
> than college.  The job market in the Allentown area is also terrible.
> All the Lehigh graduates move out of the area upon graduation.  After
> you account for the Puerto Ricans, the white trash, and all the old
> people you have a small population of professionals that I would
> consider my parents and their friends part of that group.  Also
> Allentown doesn't have many Northface wearing healthy people like
> Burlington.  There are so many fat people.  Pennsylvania has the
highest
> per capita food consumption in the US.  There are plenty of Overweight
> woman who work Walmart and have husbands who wear Marlboro jackets and
> sit at home and watch Jerry Springer.  Sometimes these people go night
> skiing at Blue mountain after they get drunk.  Has anybody ever driven
> through downtown Allentown.  The Hamilton mall used to the hub of the
> city with stores and the first Hess's and Leh's now it's a few crappy
> stores and plenty of homeless people.  People complain about crime in
> Burlington, we had 15 murders this year in a city of 100,000.  Our
> prison is nicer than the high school.  The funny thing is there are
> $500,000-$1,000,000 dollar houses on the outshirts of Allentown that
> house Docters, Lawyers, and Air Products execs.  Sure Allentown is 17
> miles from Blue mountain but you don't want to live there.  On second
> thought we do have the great Allentown fair and there's nothing like
> watching 100,000 tatooed rednecks walking around in Mettalica shirts
and
> watching two fat lady's wrestling in mud.
>
>         Doug

What a rich heritage that you come from, Doug. The picture is beginning
to come into focus. Keep unloading.
 DO NOT ever apply for a PR job with the Allentown Chamber of Commerce!
I believe you nuked those bridges.