SKIVT-L March 1999, Week 2

Killington 7MAR99

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:18:06 -0500

        With Killington tickets that we had earned through volunteering
at the Killington Stage Race, we
were armed for a day at the big K after more than 2 feet of champagne
had softened its slopes in the past
24 hours.  The official report was 19-25", and since it was a weekend,
there would be no stopping the
hordes of other powderhounds wanting to get in on the storm of the
season.  The initial plan was to arrive
at around 7:30 A.M., and beat the crowds, but other factors ate into our
morning time.  While Bennett's big rig
blasted up our driveway with haste, Mango's car was a bit troubled :(
Eventually we got on our way, and
even though we arrived at the mountain at approximately 8:10 A.M., the
Killington Peak parking lot was
essentially full and we lucky to get a spot.  We met our friend Chris at
the lodge, and he said that even
when he arrived at 7:30, the crowds were already huge.  As I looked
around at the number of cars and
people, I was reminded of just how big Killington is  (and hoped it
could suck up the masses on a day
like this).
        We started off with a trip up the K1 Gondola and headed over to
the Canyon area.  Everything was
basically tracked out already, but we headed over to Double Dipper for
some quick steep stuff.  As we
approached the trail, Bennett broke left, and hit Big Dipper Glade,
while I spied some remaining untracked
on the right side of the trail.  I had to drive the brush hog, but was
rewarded with some waist deep and
chest deep shots as I blasted through the drifts that were held by the
trees and brush.  E had headed down
the center of the trail to check out the chowder, and got smacked in the
head with a snowboard; headache on a powder day is no fun at all :(
        Next it was up the Canyon Quad and over to the Snowdon region.
Although things aren't as steep
over at Snowdon, we figured we'd find more untracked snow to play around
in.  The edges of the lift line
were in nice shape, so we took a run down along the Snowdon Quad and hit
some great shots.  At
one point I hit a pitch off the left side of the trail that dropped onto
a connecting trail, and submarined
twice!  The only bad part about those kind of shots is that you hardly
get to see anything, as the snow
comes up and snuffs the view from your goggles.  To a powder hungry crew
of first-run skiers on the
Snowdon lift though, it must have been a reassuring sight of what was to
come for them, and I later heard
that everyone had erupted into a symphony of hoots and hollers.  We then
hit the Snowdon lift again and
found ourselves a bit of woods.  I honestly can't even say if I remember
where they are exactly (Somewhere near Great Bear maybe?), but they
start off with a nice steep black pitch for a few yards, then gradually
mellow out to a green like pitch in the end.  We gave E the honors,
since it was her first chance to ski powder this deep.  After a couple
of nice turns in snow that came up somewhere between her knees and
waist, she encountered the "sticky ski" phenomenon in which the snow is
so deep that it slows the bottom half of your body down, while your top
half wants to keep going.  The end result of this: head over heels, and
body under snow.  The rest of us tried to figure out what we do to stay
upright in such a conditions as a teaching tip, and we decided that we
shift our weight to the back of our skis (lean back a bit) as we feel
the snow begin to grab our lower body.  After we hit the first steep
pitch, the grade mellowed and we skied (and often Waded) to the next
trail.  With such deep snow, it was nice to have it so light or we would
hardly have moved at all.  On the nice mellow pitch at the bottom of the
woods, if you just let yourself glide straight, you could maintain
speed.  It was a great sensation, and you even built up a bit of a wake
that followed you as you disrupted the virgin fluff.
    After our fun runs at Snowdon, we continued our progression over to
Rams Head Mountain.  There was a bit of a line at the quad, but it was
high speed so things moved along.  The snow was beautiful in the Rams
Head area, but with minimal pitch, skiing in the untracked was just too
slow.  As we skied the woods to the skier's left of Header, there were a
couple nice pitches that gave great rides, but as soon as you lost
enough slope, you found yourself needing a push in the deep fluff.  The
old trails above the current Rams Head lift didn't escape our gaze
though; I'd wanted to do those for a while and today was probably going
to be the day for a hike.  We looked up and saw just a few tracks coming
down from the summit.  I hate to suggest hikes when everyone in the
group isn't all fired up, but when E mentioned that it looked like it
was worth it, she sealed everybody's fate.  We locked the plan into our
memory banks for later in the day, and headed off in the direction of
the Superstar Quad to meet up with Tom and Melissa.
    Tom had arrived sometime after 10:00 and had to shuttle all the way
over from another lot to get to the main Killington base lodge
(Everybody was getting here by now, but the lift lines were kept fairly
minimal by the big K lift system).   We took a run off the Superstar
Quad while they got ready; Chris and James hit Julio, and I headed for
Skyelark with E.  This section of the mountain was being blasted by a
North /Northwest wind, and in some places the trail was stripped of its
nice new covering and bore a hardpack glaze.  We kept near the trees on
the left and got as much of the drifted snow as possible, but traffic
skier was high and we knew there was better stuff out there.
    Once we met up with Tom and Melissa, we directed ourselves to the
next stage of our tour; the South Ridge Zone!  I've always enjoyed
riding the crazy South Ridge Chair with it's sharp turn and crazy split
setup.  I've also found the trails there to be very uncrowded, and the
snow excellent.  After a quick photo-op, we headed down Blue Heaven,
which I expected would be to everyone's liking.  The snow was awesome;
out of the wind and not too heavily skied.  At one point, Bennett and I
headed off into the woods, and had a hell of a time finding the group
again (I need those walkie talkie things!).  Eventually we did find
everyone, and unfortunately, the South Ridge Chair was not running :(
Therefore, we took the Falls Brook Trail to the base of Bear Peak.  The
Falls brook trail was green, but it switched back and forth and created
woods shots for us all over the place!  Judging by the tracks in there,
a knowledge of that area would give some great runs.
        After riding the Skye Peak Quad, we moved over to Skyelark again
to get back to the Killington base.  This time I wanted to avoid more of
the windblown section (and the wind itself which would really bite into
you if you had exposed skin).  We found some great woods to the right of
the first steep pitch, and then I followed Bennett and Mango to the left
lower down and found even more untracked lines.  I've still got marks on
my face from the branches, just a little momento of the occasion ;)
There were plenty of tracks in the woods throughout the day, but there
just weren't enough woods skiers to track things up too heavily; if you
wanted to stay in the woods you could go untracked forever.  You gotta
love that about the big K - it's big.
        We then had a quick lunch, and worked our way back to Rams Head
for our grand finale run, the hike above the Ram's Head Lift.  The
trails were still relatively untracked, and unless the wind was cruel to
us on all sides we would get some sweet turns.  The hike took about
15-20 min., and seemed to give out maybe 400 or 500 more vertical above
the lift.  E asked why we always have to do this stuff at the end of the
day when everybody is tired.  I replied, "You can't do the hike at the
beginning of the day!  That's when all the easy to get to stuff is still
untracked :)"  We hiked up to the left above the lift, and fortunately
others had broken the trail earlier in the day.  The broken trail
consisted of a 2+ foot deep trench, and I would have loved to get a
picture of the lot of us tromping up the slope, half hidden in the deep
snow.  After reaching the summit, we relaxed a bit and searched around
for the best route down.  A group of snowboarders had just hit the north
slope ahead of us, so we opted for the much less tracked southward blue
slope.  There were a couple of tracks in it already, but plenty of
undisturbed snow for our entire posse.  We had some sweet turns through
knee to thigh-deep snow, and at one of the drifts, you really had to
change your weight to avoid flying forward out of your skis.  E
encountered this drift with good speed, and Bennett and Mango, watching
from below said she simply disappeared until they saw her head pop up a
few moments later.  From a distance, they though it was me making the
turns, until they saw her fall.  They couldn't explain it, it just
didn't look like one of my falls.  We'll teach E to make a bigger
explosion in the future ;)  After our last powder-filled run, we headed
for the lodge and back to home.  I'd hate to think of what we could have
hit if we knew the terrain as well as Sugarbush, but watch out.... we're
learning.

J.Spin