]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  March 1999, Week 2

SKIVT-L March 1999, Week 2

Banff Region, Alberta, Canada 23FEB99-28FEB99 (long)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:35:27 -0500

    At the end of February, I spent a few days skiing in the Banff
region of Alberta with my friend E.  The town of Banff is about an hour
or so west of Calgary, pretty close to the border between the Alberta
and British Columbia provinces.  While the region around Calgary is
relatively flat, as you head west towards Banff, the mountains quickly
rise up, and you are suddenly surrounded by the Canadian Rockies.  The
area is in a national park, and is world-renowned for its beautiful
scenery; so even if you don't ski, it's worth a trip just to see the
sights.  The town of Banff is at an elevation of 4,530', and is
surrounded by many jagged peaks in the 9,000' to 10,000' range.  If you
stand in town and slowly rotate yourself in a circle (I did this more
than once ;), you will actually see that you are truly encircled by
mountains in every direction.
    We booked our trip through the Ski Banff / Lake Louise organization,
and the package, which included transport to and from the airport,
shuttle bus transport to and from the ski areas, room, and lift tickets,
took the hassle out of everything.  We stayed in an efficiency where we
could cook our own meals, so including airfare and everything, the trip
was only about $600 for four days five nights due to the nice exchange
rate.  There are three main ski areas in the immediate vicinity that are
covered in this package: Lake Louise (approx. 45 min. away), Sunshine
(approx. 25 min away) and Banff Mt. Norquay (approx. 15 min. away).
When you arrive at your hotel, they give you a little ticket that goes
on a string around your neck.  Put this on and you're good to go.  This
ticket gets you on the buses, and also works as your ticket at the ski
areas; you don't even need to go near the ticket counter!  The buses
leave from the various hotels in the morning every half hour, starting
at around 7:45 A.M.  You simply check the schedule at your hotel, and
hop on the bus that is going to the area you have chosen for the day.
At the end of the ski day, the buses leave the areas about every hour
between 2:00 and 6:00ish.  We caught the first bus to the mountain each
day, and usually left the ski area at about 3:00 P.M.
    As most of you may know, the northwestern United States and British
Columbia are having an incredible winter, with record snow depths and
ski area closures due to too much snow.  Thankfully, the Alberta areas
are also getting in on the act, and the Banff region is having its best
winter in 29 years.  It's interesting to note that even an incredible
year in the Banff area is not all that impressive as far as snowpack
goes.  The settled snow depths at the areas we visited were 86 inches
(Sunshine), 60 inches (Lake Louise), and 33-49 inches (Banff Mt.
Norquay).  These amounts were enough to cover everything they had to
offer, but I bet things would be tight in a lean year.

Tuesday Feb 23 - Day 1 - Travel Day

    Our flight left at 6:00 from Dorval airport in Montreal, so I worked
most of the day and then we headed up from Burlington to catch our
flight.  We'd just had a few days of temperatures around 0 F, so we were
all set for whatever temperatures Alberta could give us.  The drive went
well, although, as we eventually headed west toward the airport, the sun
was at a perfect angle to blind us and make reading road signs next to
impossible.  We checked our bags with Air Canada and found out that
Dorval wanted an extra $10 each for airport surcharge before we could
pass the detectors to our gate; interesting.  We had a nice flight,
straight shot to Calgary, arriving around 8:30 MST.  We hung around the
airport for a bit, then caught the last Banff Airporter shuttle at
10:30, (by then we were getting pretty tired).  E nodded off during the
drive, but I had to wake her up as we entered the mountains.  Even
though it was dark, the moonlight gave a nice view of many of the nearby
peaks.  E ("Oh my God!") jumped in her seat as she saw the mountains
(first time in the Rockies) and didn't need to worry about falling back
asleep after that.  We arrived at the hotel a little after midnight, got
to our room with a quick unpack and lights out.  Tomorrow we ski the
Canadian Rockies!

Wednesday Feb 24 - Day 2 - Lake Louise

    Since we knew about Lake Louise as one of the most popular resorts,
we headed there on our first day.  The 7:44 bus got us to the mountain
at around 8:30, and crowds were still light.  The annual snowfall at
Lake Louise is a paltry 144 inches, so the only way they must be able to
survive is by not losing any to rain.  In this "year of La Nina"
however, they had already received over 200 inches, so coverage was
excellent.  They had received 2-3 new inches of snow overnight, which
added up to around 4-6 in the back bowls.  Temperatures were relatively
mild (upper 20s), which gave us powder in the 8-10% range; mid weight
stuff that at least let you sink in a bit and get the feel.  The front
of the mountain has your regular old trails with some above treeline
stuff up top, a solid 3250' of vertical with no serious flat zones.  The
back side of the mountain is composed of treeless bowls, and finally,
there is a smaller mountain off to the side (the right side if you look
from the front) known as the Larch area.  Don't let my simple breakdown
of the layout fool you, the place has 4000 or so acres of skiable
terrain, which means that with light crowds, you just can't track the
place out fast enough.  Our goal was simple, head for the back bowls and
get some tracks.  Since it snowed lightly most of the day, the
visibility above treeline was sometimes tough in the flat light.  We had
some fun memorable runs.  Somewhere off the Ptarmigan chair (skiers left
of the main mountain) after skiing down a little distance, we found this
trail (no idea if it had a name) which eventually turned into a power
line filled with telephone poles.  This trail was steep, bumpy, narrow,
full of nice snow, and the best part was that I had no CLUE where we
were, we just kept going for what seemed like 1500 verts.  Finally we
came to this little green trail, and I was thinking, OK, now we'll
follow this to the base, run is over.  Wrong!  After following the green
trail for a bit, we came out on a blue / black trail with fantastic snow
surrounded by a thick evergreen forest.  We continued on down and
eventually arrived at the base after another 1000' of vertical.  The
trail was so great that I had to find out what it was, and my best guess
is that it was Meadowlark, a trail that the map says (and now so do I)
not to miss.  The entire run seemed to go on forever, and we had not
even started at the uppermost lift; it just reinforced the nice fact
that you can really get a solid 3250' out of the mountain at a nice
sustained pitch.  E really enjoyed the rock garden off the Larch Chair
(the smaller mountain to the side).  It has lots of avalanche debris in
the form of boulders, and I bet it would be fantastic with even more
snow.  Our most memorable run of the day was one in the back bowls.
Toward the end of the day, we decided to traverse as high as we could
around the back bowls at the boundary line to see if we could hit some
terrain on the mountain across from the back bowls (Brown Shirt area it
is called I guess).  In the process of doing this, we found that this
area had built up nice snow, and remained untracked all day.  I gave E
the honors, and she had a spontaneous "Woo Hoo!" encounter (one in which
you do not consciously make the decision to say "Woo Hoo!, and you may
know what I mean if you've had one) at her first big untracked section
of open bowl powder.  These things are fun to watch.  We caught the 3:00
bus back to Banff then ate and slept.  Tomorrow we were to visit
Sunshine Village, where we would find out that our favorite Lake Louise
Powder run would just be considered, well, run of the mill...

Thursday Feb 25 - Day 3 - Sunshine Village

    Sunshine Village is an interesting place.  I'm not actually sure
that there is a village, but in order to get to the main base lodge, you
ride a Gondola (starts at 5440') that contains three sections, and
requires about a 15 minute ride just as Mark Renson described in his
journey.  Part of the Sunshine Village slogan is "Three Times the
Snow...", and I can only assume that this refers to the fact that they
have a 410 inch annual snowfall (they are on the continental divide) in
contrast to the 144 inches at Lake Louise.  It's not hard to see why
this was my favorite of the three Banff ski areas that we hit; any place
that gets more snow than Jay Peak and almost no rain must be a powder
factory.  Like Lake Louise, Sunshine is big, at 3,168 acres and it has a
total vertical of 3514'.  You won't really use all of this vertical
unless you take the relatively flat trails back to the base of the
gondola, so sustained, it's more likely in the 2500' range.  The trail
layout is as follows:  If you consider the top of the gondola as the
base, you are basically in a big pit there, with lifts and trails in
almost a full circle around you.  This gives you lots of options to
follow the sun and things like that as they recommend in their trail
map.  Sunshine had received 5-6 new inches overnight (again temperatures
were warm so it was in the 8-10% H2O range), and everything was looking
great with the new snow.  It snowed lightly on and off through the day,
and the sun broke out once in a while to give us some of those fantastic
Canadian Rockies views.  Our ski plan was simple:  we would start out on
one of the lifts, and work our way around the circle to sample
everything we wanted to.  We started out on a T-Bar on Wawa mountain,
which serviced a bunch of blue / black trails intermixed with some fun
trees.  We were there quite early, and the trails were basically
untracked so we couldn't even pull ourselves away from skiing a few runs
along near the T-bar in the fresh snow (OK, and maybe I like riding the
T-Bar because it's fun to try to drive E off the edge of the track, as
much as the signs say not to ;).  We finally convinced ourselves to
swing around and hit other lifts, and this continued for the rest of the
morning, as we found great snow.  Our next "stop" was when we hit the
Continental Divide High Speed Quad.  This lift services the highest
point that we hit on our trip, the top of Lookout Mountain at 8954'.
There is a vast area of above treeline skiing here, and even though it
was nearing lunchtime, there were still huge areas of untracked snow.
We had run after run of untracked until we finally decided to pull
ourselves away and grab our lunches.  After that, we continued around on
our circuit, eventually getting to Goat's Eye mountain.  This mountain
contained another above treeline section, but here we found the snow to
be wind scoured, and after one run up there, I was happy to stay down in
the trees below where the new snow of the past couple of days had
accumulated to around a foot.  We spent the rest of the day in the trees
/ trails below Goat's eye, there wasn't a lot of steep terrain, but
that's sometimes nice for skiing tight trees.  The only disadvantage to
skiing this part of the mountain is that there are only a couple of
small slow chairs and you just have to be patient.  I think that this is
probably why this area never gets tracked up, people just don't want to
deal with the funky lift setup.  We finished off by taking the Canyon
Trail to the bottom of the Gondola, a narrow trail with various bobsled
track-like sections that gives it a black rating despite not having an
overall big pitch.  The other option down was Green, and I assume it's a
bit lesser grade.  By this time, we had already decided that we would
return to Sunshine for our fourth day; just as their slogan says, "Three
times the snow".

Friday Feb 26 - Day 4 - Banff Mt. Norquay

    Banff Mt. Norquay is essentially the "Bolton Valley" of the Banff
area if you were to make a comparison to Burlington.  It's just a few
minutes outside town, and is a much smaller, more local area than the
big places we'd just visited.  Their average snowfall is even less than
that of Lake Louise, just 120 inches annually.  They report 162 acres of
skiing, and a vertical drop of 1650 feet.  Despite the way that these
stats stack up against the bigger areas, they have an incredibly steep
section of trails on the left side (one guy said one of the trails is
the steepest in the Banff region) and if the snow is good, you can at
least enjoy a half day there.  As is often the case, if you give me one
good trail that has what I want, I can enjoy the hell out of it, and
that's exactly what happened at Mt. Norquay.  The mountain basically has
its lifts lined up along a ridge, and they don't go all the way to the
top of the mountain because it is just too craggy and steep.  We started
off and slowly worked our way right (looking from the base lodge) and
testing out the trails.  Basically, as you would expect for a place that
gets such little snow, the surfaces were scratchy and nothing to compare
with Sunshine Village.  Eventually we hit the end of the lift system,
and the final trail called Bruno's Gully.  They reported a couple of
inches of new snow since yesterday, and it must have all blown in here
because this place was da bomb!  The gully starts out from a big
avalanche chute, and gradually widens into a double gully with a blue
bump trail on the skiers right, and a tree-filled gully on the skiers
left.  The snow here was soft, the bumps were great, and the powder in
the trees was fantastic.  To sweeten the pot, this section was serviced
by a high speed quad, so we could run laps on it with almost no time on
the lift.  Since this was the most distant trail from the lodge, hardly
a soul came over all morning, and we just kept working it until it was
time for lunch.  This was the clearest day of our trip, with just a few
clouds around the mountains so we also took lots of pictures to capture
the views.  In the afternoon, we quickly checked out the steep trails to
the far skier's right of the mountain, but they had seen some sun and
were rather scratchy so we headed back to the Gully.  It was supposed to
be a relatively easy day; check out Mt. Norquay and see the views, but
due to the conditions in Bruno's Gully and the high speed quad, we
pulled in just as much vertical as we did at the big resorts.

Saturday Feb 27 - Day 5 - Sunshine Village

    It was an easy decision to return to Sunshine Village for our last
day, due to the experiences we'd had with the snow.  The snow report
said 2-3 new inches, bringing the total to over a foot in the past 4
days.  The morning was windy, and after a quick trip above treeline, we
headed back down to the trees and enjoyed runs on the protected trails
and woodsy areas.  I enjoyed run after run in the trees to the left of
the Bluebell trail.  This area only give shots of about 400-500
vertical, but the snow was deep and soft (although still in the 8-10%
H2O range) so it was quite fun.  I never saw another person in there,
most likely due to the fact that the lift that services the area is
slow, and the vertical is not that high.  It began to snow heavily for a
couple of hours, and we picked up a quick couple of inches during the
latter part of the morning.  In the afternoon, the squall blew itself
out, the winds died down, and we headed above treeline again.  We hit a
couple of groomed / tree runs off the Wawa T-Bar, and we had a memorable
event in which we skied across the T-Bar line.  There are no signs that
say to stay out of the T-Bar track, and there are numerous connections
between the trails on both sides of it.  We timed the T-bars to make our
leap across, and then went for it!  E managed to drive herself right
into the hard border of the T-Bar track gully, double eject from her
skis, and remain right there, as all the folks on the T-Bar continued
by.  The folks on the T-Bar was cracking up, as was I, and eventually E
even started to laugh, once she got herself out of there.  I would have
liked a bit more mayhem, maybe knock a few people off the T-Bar and
stuff, but what are you gonna do ;)  After some good T-Bar fun, we
finally started to work our way counterclockwise around the bowl.  They
had a boardercross going on below the Standish chair area, and the crowd
at the lift was the biggest we'd seen in our whole trip.  We did wait
for one ride however, and heading to the right off the chair we spied a
nice hike-to area above the big bowl between Wawa and Mt. Standish.  The
terrain didn't make it convenient to get there from Mt. Standish, so we
headed back to the Wawa T-Bar, and hiked to the left from there.  On our
first hike, we cashed in early and caught fresh tracks down a nice gully
that dropped us down to the regular traverse over from Wawa.  On our
last run, we took the hike way left, and blazed our own trail right
along the patrolled boundary to get to a nice new gully.  As we
traversed across, to our right, outside the boundary we could see a huge
Alpine basin, no trees or anything, just flat for about a mile across
until peaks rose up on the other side.  It was really cool, something
I've never really seen before outside of movies etc.  We enjoyed our
last run of untracked snow (until we got back to VT that is ;) and
continued down the Canyon trail to catch the bus at the base of the
Gondola.  A great end to four fun days of skiing.

Sunday Feb 28 - Day 6 - Return Travel Day

    In the morning, we caught a bus back to Calgary, it was sad to see
the mountains disappear from around us as we approached the city, but we
could get in the views that we had missed on our nighttime trip into the
park.  Calgary was still brown, but as we stood in the airport, we could
see the Rockies off in the distance this time; almost made me wish we
were going to fly west instead of east.  As we returned to Montreal, it
was dumping snow really hard, much harder than anything I'd seen in my
days in the Banff region and it felt good to be home.  It seemed like
storms had a difficult time making it all the way across the Rockies to
Alberta with any strength left in them.  I assume by the time they get
across all of the Canadian Rockies, there's just not much left.  The
annual snowfall at Lake Louise can attest to this fact, although
Sunshine must get hit hard sometimes to have the annual snowfall that
they do.  I'd be interested in finding out how often they get real big
storms in the Banff area.  Anyway, it's nice to be back in Vermont,
especially if March keeps up the way it has so far :)

J.Spin