SKIVT-L March 1999, Week 3

Mad River Glen 13MAR99

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:50:37 -0500

        On Saturday, I was supposed to meet up with the SkiVT contingent
at the MRG flagpole at 10:00.  I couldn't wait to explore some new
woods, tree bands and all that fun stuff; but something happened to set
me back a bit...
        Everything was going perfectly, I left the house in Burlington
at around 9:00 and hopped on Interstate 189 then connected to 89 south.
After about 2 minutes on 89, smoke started POURING out of my heater
vents into the cabin of my car; we're not talking little puffs here, I
had to pull over as I began to wonder if the engine was on fire or
something.  Once I stopped the car, things settled down and I hopped out
to look under the hood, no visible signs of charring or anything like
that in the engine compartment, oil was good; hopefully we're talking
about something with the heater system.  I decided that I should call
for reinforcements, so I started the car up, and took it a couple of
miles at low speed to get to a phone.  Smoke was still coming out,
albeit at a slower rate, so when I got to a condo complex off the
interstate, I stopped and ran over to a house to make the call.  E came
along with her car, and we drove mine slowly off the Williston exit, the
smoke had now stopped, and I also noticed that my fan wasn't working,
hmmm.  Since my mechanic was in Hinesburg, we decided to take it there
to be safe.  Ahhh, snowy Hinesburg, and my mechanic's driveway had not
yet been plowed so of course the car got stuck.  My chances of even
making the 1:00 meeting time at the Flagpole were now starting to
dwindle.  As I walked over to get a shovel from my mechanic's house,
they apologized about the driveway; don't worry, just leave the keys and
we'll take care of it.  My prospects of getting to MRG had suddenly
improved!
        Since I had missed the 10:00 meeting at the flagpole, I took my
chances at making the 1:00 meeting; it seemed like a good bet.  I
arrived at MRG and managed to get to the flagpole at 12:53, nothing
could stop me from skiing with the SkiVTers now!  Time passed, I craned
my neck, looking through the masses for signs of green plaid; nothing.
At 1:20 P.M., I finally resolved that I was not going to meet with the
SkiVTers at this point, but I had not given up hope and hopped into the
line for the single.  The line for the single was long (19 minutes first
run) and I figured I'd have to see the SkiVTers during that long of a
wait in the middle of everything, how could I not.  No such luck.  Next
phase, well, there's a 10 minute lift ride, that gives me even more
chance to see them.  No Such luck.  I'll take the lift line all the way
down and look at everyone on the lift, then I'll see them.  No Such
Luck.  "I'll repeat that process again, they've got to show up some
time"  As I stood in the single line for my second time around, I
spotted a swatch of plaid hung on a blue ski jack, in just the spot that
I hang mine.  "Could this be?, had I found one of the SkiVter group that
I had been searching for?"  No Such Luck.  Although I had found a
SkiVTer, it turns out that it was Rich Ramsden? (nice to meet you) who
knew nothing about the meeting that I had mentioned drat!  I returned to
my spot in line, and finished off the 20 min. wait; still no sign of any
other SkiVTers "Come on, it's not THAT big around here!",  I'm thinking
to myself.  I repeat my cycle again riding the single, ski the lift
line; I'm really starting to re-familiarize myself with all the cliffs
and jumps on the lift line now, this is getting fun!  I repeat the cycle
for a third time, another 20 min. lift line and still no luck.  After my
third cycle it was getting towards 4:00, and I had to call it a day due
to dinner plans.  No SkiVt session for me today :(
        Oh, right, the skiing ;)  Well, let's just say that I got to
know the lift line quite well for the day, and found conditions to be
good.  The bumps, as is often the case, were the best I'd seen all
season, but the powder along the sides of the trail had settled a lot
and wasn't quite as fluffy as it had been.  Coverage was good, and
generally all the exposed rocks were in the cliff areas.  There was some
ice that was coming through the bottom, but there was also plenty of
soft snow around from the recent snowfall, so it could be avoided.  I
was really having fun working my way down some of the technical lines in
the cliff bands, it was good to be back at the Glen.  In my quest to
stay under the lift however, I noticed that I was diverted by ropes in a
couple of places (as usual) and had to head off on another trail and
then connect back below the lift.  The ropes marked off cliff areas in
the trail, but I had to ask myself, "There are cliffs all over this
trail, why do they mark off just these two?"  Granted, they look a bit
bigger than most of the others, but people just ski around the ropes and
jump them anyway.  So, are these ropes suggestions / cautionary (like
the rope across the big drop in the Stowe Streamed)?, as in, "Hey you,
there is a big cliff here, stop at this rope and look before you
continue because you might crack your head open if you didn't notice
this big drop."  Or, are these ropes saying, "We know that there are
cliffs all over this trail, these are just to big for you so we've roped
them off, go around and join back to the trial later."  The same spots
have been roped off for as long as I can remember back since high
school, but there are various tracks that go around into the woods and
then jump the roped off sections, and of course, there's much harder
stuff all over the mountain that people hit all the time.  I was of
course, tempted to follow some of these tracks etc., but since the areas
were roped, I refrained.  So, I guess I'll ask the MRG regulars what the
deal is under the lift line, are these "don't go there" ropes, or "use
caution" ropes?  As usual, I had lots of fun in my day at MRG, hopefully
next time I will be able to catch up with the SkiVTers for some
exploratory action. :)

J.Spin