SKIVT-L March 1999, Week 4

Jay Peak 21MAR99

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:07:51 -0500

        From Friday into Saturday, we had one of those storms that Jay
Peak is famous for:  an incredibly localized dump of snow.  It's been a
rather strange season, and this is the first time in a while that I can
recall the Jay Peak cloud going into effect.  As you can see from the
chart below, even Smuggler's Notch, (the next area south of Jay Peak
along the main spine of the Green Mountains) received only a fraction of
the Jay Peak total.  (I also believe that Stowe, across the notch, got a
significant dump, with 16" reported)

Mountain(s)                     New            Base
Conditions       As of

Jay Peak, VT                   32"(81cm)   60"(152cm)
Powder           03:00 AM
Smugglers' Notch, VT    8"(20cm)     50"(127cm)      Powder
04:00 PM

        Although I didn't get to Jay Peak on Saturday, I did head up
there on Sunday to take part in the aftermath of a great spring dump.
We had initially planned to go to Killington for the $20 refuse-to-abuse
day, but the new snow drew us to the north.  E had been wanting to try
snowboarding for quite a while, but we never found a day to do it.  We
finally planned to ride the boards on Sunday morning.
        Our friend Dave had finally made it up from Boston for a VT ski
day, and with the addition of Bennett, E, and myself we had four folks
ready for a great day at Jay Peak.  With everybody bringing both skis
and boards (skiing was the plan for the afternoon), my car was just
about filled to capacity, but it was our only option for fitting both
gear and people in one vehicle.  The roads were great, the sun was
shining through high hazy clouds, and temperatures were quickly rising
into the 40s at the lower elevations.
        We arrived a the mountain at around 9:00 A.M., and crowds were
starting to pick up.  The plan was to focus runs around the Metro T-Bar
so that E (1st day on snowboard) and Bennett (3rd day on snowboard?)
could get up to speed on their riding by using the mellow terrain.  We
stated off with a couple short walks, and Dave instructed E on the
basics.  The surface was incredibly soft packed powder, so soft, that as
we walked on the groomed surface, we made 4 inch holes with our boots.
I hopped off the side of the trail and sank up to my knees in powder,
still dry, in the 8-10% H2O range of density.  I told E how lucky she
was to have her inaugural snowboard day on conditions like this, not
everybody's backside is so lucky ;)  After a few tries in the bottom
area, it was time for what would be one of the biggest challenges of the
day, riding the metro T-Bar on a snowboard.
        None of us (not even Dave I believe) had really used a T-Bar
with a snowboard before, but it seems the preferred style for riding is
to stand sideways in your normal stance, and slip on of the T-Bar ends
between your legs.  This seems to give a good angle of pull, and your
board will ride straight ahead if everything goes well.  For novice
snowboarders however, the balance and edging aren't quite there yet, and
well, things can happen.  The first time Bennett got on the bar, he went
nowhere.  I wasn't there to see it, but I understand it was funny.  The
next time, I think he made it to the "Christmas Tree" stop, maybe a
couple hundred feet up the line before he lost it.  E had her own
problems as well, falling off like Bennett, but she's just not quite as
comical.  I think it may have something to do with the fact that she
will let go when she falls, whereas Bennett (as I've often done myself),
will attempt to "muscle" his way back into position.  That's where the
funny stuff comes from.  One-footed hopping, dragging, grabbing; it's a
riot (in retrospect).  Bennett and E made great strides though, and
every T-Bar ride that they attempted was helping their edging and
balance that much more.  When they both made it to the top of the T-Bar
on their respective tries (and the T-Bar is a good 5 minute long ride),
the celebration was loud.  By the end of the morning, both Bennett and E
were making turns and we took a run up the double to give them a longer
run.  Dave was really ripping up the woods on his board, (He could only
act as snowboard instructor for so long before the call of powder
dragged him away) so I joined him for a bit and the snow was excellent,
although in the sun hit areas it was getting a bit mushy.  At around
1:00, we stopped in the lodge to eat our lunches, then ran to the car to
swap our boards for our skis.
        We started the afternoon off by taking the double and connecting
over to the quad.  Bennett and I spied our favorite drop at the top of
the lift line, looking like it had enough cover, so we headed that way.
In general though, there were a lot of exposed rocks in the upper
section (as is often the case) so it was difficult to find a rhythm.  We
continued on down and finished off the lift line, finding great cover in
the lower sections with fairly soft bumps.  On the next run, we all
headed over to the power line, the snow was soft with a few icy spots,
but there was tons of powder on the right side and we had to drop in.
We immediately had flashbacks of runs with our friend Scott doing the
same thing, Power Line seems to really hold the snow on the skier's
right.  We then traversed over to the tram, in hopes of getting on
without a line.  It had been a 2-3 tram wait all day, so we avoided that
scene, but now that is was after 3:00, the line had shortened.  We got
in line right at the back of the landing in the middle of the staircase,
which, by my rule of thumb, is the demarcation line for getting on the
next tram.  The rule of thumb worked, and as our group got to the door
there was only one more person allowed on after us.  We got to the
summit around 4:00 and were greeted by fierce southerly winds as we left
the gondola station.  I suspected Ullr's dream would have good snow, and
we found some of the most awesome conditions of the day.  I think that
low traffic kept the terrain over there incredibly soft.  We hit Ullr's,
Poma Line, and Beaver Pond Glade.  Even though Beaver Pond Glade was
tracked out, the snow wasn't firm at all, still very soft with fresh
powder off to the edges.  It was certainly some of the best snow of the
day, and it made me wonder whether waiting in 1/2 hour tram lines might
have almost been worth it.

J.Spin