Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  March 1999, Week 3

SKIVT-L March 1999, Week 3

Vermont Trip Part 1 (longish)

"Scott T. Clark AFSAC/ITT" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:41:29 -0500

Saturday 3/6 - The Drive From Hell

It didn't even start off well.  We were awakened around midnight to the
sound of rain pounding down on the roof.  Later when we got up and had
the car loaded and ready to go at 6:00 AM it was still pouring.

The rain turned to wet snow south of Cleveland, gloppy wet snow that
threw cars and trucks off the road, and blinded you whenever a truck
passed.  The consistency changed the further east we headed, and once
past Erie PA we made the decision to take Rte 17 (the future I-86)
across the southern tier of NY due to the storm track and lack of trucks.
Our hope was to drive into then out of the storm, and hopefully get in
front of it before we arrived in Bennington

In SkiVt-L parlance, the road conditions were partially groomed to
ungroomed, with piles of fluff accumulating along the sides of the trails.
We were desperately hoping for Brutal Grooming.  We wanted to strike a
balance between maintaining a decent (albeit slow) pace, while also
maintaining a healthy respect for the immutable laws of physics.  After
seeing cars and trucks being involved in mishaps all day, it was our turn
somewhere north of Oneonta on I-88, in the dark, with snow continuing to
fall.  We got a wheel over into the deep stuff (there was really only one
lane), and that was all it took.  All wheel drive only works when there is
power to the wheels, and we didn't get the car downshifted and give it the
gas in time to avoid a minor excursion off the side of the road.

However, Snow God Karma was on our side, and within five minutes a tow
truck arrived out of nowhere.  A $20 donation had us on our way, and the
snow continued to fall until we got to Bennington.  After 15 hours on the
road, we were rather upset to find they had only 2" on the ground.

Sunday 3/7 - SkiVT-L Day At Stratton (I've got friends on a Powder Day)

A few more inches fell overnight, and the ski report on the TV indicated
that Stratton had received more than Bennington.  Whew!  By prior
arrangement we were to meet with list members Brad Gellerstedt and Marc
Chrusch at 9:00 in the heart of the McSkiing beast called Stratton.  Marc
(definitely enjoying the life of the semi-retired country squire) was
staying for free at a friends condo at Bromley, while Brad had to make the
drive from somewhere along the banks of the Ompompanoosuc River.  OK, we
weren't there for first tracks, but the skiing was fine anyway.  You all
know the conditions, cold, very windy, and blue skies.  They may have
groomed something at some point, but you couldn't tell by looking at it.
About 1' of fluff on top of, well, lets just say the substrate was very
firm.  The wind did a neat job of wind scouring some trails, and blowing
snow over old tracks on others to make them almost self grooming.

I like Stratton, having skied there once before back in 1996.  A nice big
friendly old mountain, for which we had free ticket vouchers (a $102 value)
earned from using the Tremblant Max discount card in February.  Nothing sick
steep, but a kinder gentler approach to skiing.  Marc had the most recent
experience skiing there, so we let him lead us around.  I just wanted to be
at the Sun Bowl Lodge by 10:15 or so in the event that our very own Humor Czar
Jim Kusack made the trip up from Connecticut.  As he pointed out to me, there
would be no small irony in this lean snow year for him not to be able to make
it due to too much snow.  We were arriving just as he had given up on us, but
an eagle eyed Snow Goddess spotted the plaid, and we sent him off for a few
runs while we warmed up.

What did we ski?  Who knows.  Upper this, lower that.  Started over at the
gondola and worked our way over towards the Sun Bowl, then back.  Everything
seemed to be skied into little piles of fluff, with the Sunriser Super Trail
one big cotton ball covered slope.  I know we rode the worlds coldest
chairlift though.  Kidderbrook.  Nice run, cold windy chair ride.  The last
200' or so make it almost not worth it.  Due to the size of our group we had
to split up into various combinations for lift rides, but it gave everyone a
chance to get acquainted.  I think we all appreciate the six-pack chair now,
because on that thing everyone rides together!

All in all, a very leg tiring but fun day, with frequent stops to warm up.
Every run felt like the equivalent of two or more.  Throughout the day we
enjoyed great views though.  The Adirondacks, Bromley, Magic, Ascutney, and
Mt Snow could all be seen.  We tried our hardest to accomodate Jim's schedule
in regard to his non-skiing wife Amy, but I'm sure we got him in trouble.  It
was the lift and trail arrangement, honest!  Jeanine and me tried to
compensate by at lunch giving Amy the hard sell on Gray Rocks in Quebec.  Jim,
anything we can do to help make her an enthusiastic skier, just let us know!

We stopped skiing rather early due to the brutal wind conditions, plus we
had the drive up to Waterbury Center ahead of us, as well as another five ski
days.  But we did have fun.  For a place with a reputation as a glitzy
McMegaresort I thought it was a frayed at the edges and funky.  Sure, there
were some millionaire homes that screamed "If you lived here you'd be rich by
now", and the first phase of the Long Trail House does stick out like a big
yellow four (or five?) story sore thumb, but the place has potential.  The
skiers certainly seemed competent, friendly, and contented.  What the place
needs is a few more high speed lifts, and perhaps a review of the trail naming
conventions.  We all agreed that any trail on any trail map should at least be
longer than the space allotted for its name...

Thanks Marc, Brad, and Jim for a great time.

Monday 3/8 - Stowe (No friends even on a Packed Powder Day)

We spent the rest of the week at the MacCubInn with Patti.  We got a decent
start Monday, but when we got to the mountain neither the double or the quad
were running due to the wind.  It was like the previous day down south, cold
and windy, but Stowe had received more snow.  It had, however,  been
Brute-ifully Groomed, something I certainly appreciate, since I am a gourmet
of the groomed and a connoisseur of corduroy.  Our first runs were high speed
cruisers off of the triple to warm up (not!), and then after a cocoa break we
checked by the quad in case any SkiVT-L'ers showed up for a proposed 10:00
rendezvous.  Sadly, none did.  Sniff.  Next we hit the gondola for some long
runs on Merry Peril/Perry Merill, Gondolier, and Switchback, and combinations
of the above.  After lunch we tried some runs over at Spruce, but the cold
slow lift ride sent us packing early.

How good was the skiing?   We ran into MRG Marketing Director Eric Friedman
at on our way back to the lodge, who offered to "comp" all of us after Patti
introduced us as the Snow Gods.  Jeanine and me politely declined.  We
appreciate the good coverage and grooming at Stowe.

Quitting early was a good thing, since we had to get new boots for Jeanine
at what we are convinced is the ONLY place to buy boots, Inner Bootworks.
In fact, Jeanine had been waiting since last year to buy her boots there,
after getting some great service and advice previously.  It took us a while,
but Jeanine ended up being professionally fitted with new Technicas, me with
generic insoles, and Patti with some free boot shell adjustments.

Tuesday 3/9 - Stowe (Skiing with Susan Graham)

Blue skies, great views, perfect packed powder, superb grooming, what more
could you ask for?  Warmup run?  Why Nosedive of course!  What a day it was,
relearning the MacCubbin technique for skiing Stowe, namely never taking any
trail for its entire length, instead stitching together a seemingly endless
variety of trail segments.  Combinations like Nosedive/Liftline/Sepps or
Centerline/Jumble Of Trails On Skiers Right/T-Bar.  You get the picture.

At 10:00 we met up with the lovely and talented Susan Graham, and the
balance of the day turned out to be great fun.  We pretty much hit stuff
off of the quad, high speed cruised, skied T-Bar and the Daltons, and then
headed over to the Gondola.  We met up with retiree and Stowe Host Al (Albert)
who skied with us for a few runs after giving me the obligatory Stowe
marketing survey.  Al was content to ski as slow or fast as we wanted, stopped
with us when we did, whatever.

A word about the retirees skiing at Stowe.  They rip!  Perhaps you've seen
them in the locker room, in the Octagon, or on the slopes.  These aren't
kids in their 50s, but mature skiers (60s-70s-80s) out everyday having fun.
I noticed a similar phenomenon up at Tremblant midweek.  I now have a goal
for the next 20 years:  Healthy and retired and skiing in Stowe.

Anyway, after a run down Gondolier I became separated from the group.  I was
outside the gondi barn sans skis waiting, they were up at Midway looking for
me.  I started to walk up, but then Host Al skis down and says the walk up
would just make me tired and my feet would hurt, so let's take a quick run.
Up to the top we go, then he suggests Gondolier, nonstop, and takes off!  He
looked back occasionally to make sure I was still there, then greeted me at
Midway with an ear-to-ear grin.  He joined us for lunch, and I had to admit
that I need to be in MUCH better shape if I'm going to retire at Stowe!

After lunch, Susan decided to test her bionic leg/knee brace with a vicious
fall at Midway.  In front of the ski rack.  Standing still.  How'd you do
that?

The rest of the day can be summarized by these factual statements.  The
Gondi-Merrill aka Perondolier Woods were sweet.  Midway was fun.  The coverage
on Goat was great, in fact, the best Susan had ever seen it.  Jeanine enjoyed
the soft bumps at the bottom of National.

Susan, great skiing with you (very stylish), and wonderful to finally meet
you.  Thanks!

Wednesday 3/10 - Stowe (Skiing with Marc Chrusch)

Today we met Marc Chrusch, who decided to drive up since he had nothing but
time on his hands and what better way to spend it.  Plus he had a place to
stay (with us at the Inn), an offer of a gourmet home cooked meal, and plans
for showing us around Sugarbush the next day.  He had also finally got around
to having bindings mounted on his pair of still plastic wrapped Rossi 7XKs,
and was anxious to test them.

Gee, what did we ski?  More of the same, with still stellar conditions, low
crowds, and more of that Brute-iful Grooming.  We seemed to be everywhere
(with the exception of the woods and bumps for the most part), with an
emphasis on high speed cruising (my favorite).  Jeanine was loving her new
boots, and my new Rossi Viper 9.9s were a blast.

While over at the Gondola, just outside the Cliff House, this exchange
occurred while I was staring up at the rocks and chutes on the Chin:

Patti:  Want to climb up and ski it?

Scott:  I would, were it not for the deep abiding respect I have for the
unique subalpine flora and fauna atop Mount Mansfield.

Marc:  Shovel!

--