SKIVT-L April 1999, Week 1

Bromley 4APR99

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Apr 1999 16:04:19 -0500

        For Easter holiday, I headed down to Massachusetts with my
friend E, so on our way, we decided to ski one of the southern VT areas
that we never really get a chance to visit.  Our choice was Bromley;
having a reputation as a smaller mountain than Stratton, with a mellower
feel.  Bromley is one of the ski areas in the Manchester area, which
also features places like Magic Mountain and the aforementioned
Stratton.
        We left Burlington at around 6:00 A.M., and following route 7
south, we arrived at the mountain by approximately 8:30.  While there
was only patchy snow in the Champlain Valley, and throughout most of our
trip, as we climbed East into the Green Mountains, the natural snowpack
increased to around 12 inches by the 2000' elevation.  An interesting
note about Bromley is that you park on one side of the street, and then
walk under a large tunnel to get to the mountain and facilities.
Through use of coupons (and a half price voucher that a guy sold us in
the parking lot), we were able to get tickets for around $30, about what
I would expect to pay at this time of year.  Out of a total of 42
trails, 37 were open, and although there were a few visible patches of
exposed earth, ample snowmaking had obviously done it's job to keep this
south-facing mountain with a solid base.  Due to its southern exposure,
Bromley is known as the sun mountain.  Our day was overcast, and
although we did not get any strong sun, temperatures in the 40s kept the
snow quite soft and the surface was spring skiing on corn.
        Bromley has a base elevation of 1,950' and a summit elevation of
3,284', giving a vertical rise of 1,334'  Their average snowfall is
145", and this is of course augmented by snowmaking (on 84% of their
terrain.)  A nice high speed quad can bring you all the way from the
bottom to the top really quickly, and you can easily make use of the
full vertical.  I had heard rumors that many of the southern VT areas
have much easier trail ratings than most places, but I found the black
diamonds to be black, the blues blue, etc., even using a "northern" VT
rating system.  Take this with a grain of salt of course, since I'm
fairly oblivious when it comes to the characteristics that make a trail
receive its difficulty rating.  About half of the black trails (the
total is about a dozen) were bumped up, and they actually had plenty of
character, not simply straight boulevards to the bottom.
        We started our day off with a trip up the high speed quad, and
were lucky enough to ride up with a local employee of the mountain.  He
turned us around and showed us the incredible view of the valley, what
an awesome sight!  The valley had low clouds in it, and above the
clouds, we could see two additional ski areas, Magic Mountain (with its
Mad River Glen-style, narrow, twisting trails) to the southeast, and
Stratton (wider, straighter trails) to the southwest.  The three ski
areas (including Bromley) almost form a triangle, with the valley in the
middle.  This was a interesting view, only possible because Bromley
faces south, I'd never seen anything like it before.  In addition, we
were told that there was a fourth area in the valley, a smaller area
called Snow Valley? (possibly) that was invisible below the clouds at
this point.  We were told that this area was closed, and later in the
day when the low clouds dispersed, we were able to look down and see
that it was an interesting little mountain with about a dozen trails.
        The summit of Bromley was quite interesting.  There is a summer
observation deck, a ski patrol building, and a couple of other strange
structures.  Another thing that I found interesting was the lack of
evergreens at the summit, it was mostly filled with stunted deciduous
trees, about 10 feet tall or so.  In some places it looked like there
were good openings for skiing in the trees as well.
        We were able to ski just about every open trail on the mountain
in  5 or 6 hours; no lines or crowds made this easy.  One of my
favorites was Little Dipper, a short steep shot near the upper mountain
with the option of jumping a 10-12 foot cliff band for variety.  Another
interesting bump trail was Sunder, it was about 3-4 bumps wide, and
paralleled the upper section of the main quad at a pretty steep pitch.
E enjoyed Havoc, which was bumped up, and had lots of interesting
terrain contours, possibly due to snowmaking whales.  My favorite cruise
of the day was the Thruway trail which gives a nice top to bottom cruise
of the mountain with plenty of rolls in the terrain.  We ventured into
one of their glades, one with a relatively mild pitch known as
"Everglade".  We were surprised to find that it was just short of having
continuous snow, we had to traverse about 4-5 feet of leaves (almost
felt like a SkiVt spring party day).  They also had a couple of steeper
glades, but they weren't open (although they looked quite nice, similar
to some of the stuff at Jay Peak.)  As an added touch, they had a
special TV at the entrance to the lodge that played The Weather Channel
continuously (at least they know what programming this skier wants ;).
        So overall, we had a great time at a new area and I would
recommend it to anyone who wants a nice day trip.  It might be a bit
small for a real long vacation, or a bit tame if you are looking for
incredible steeps.  If I had been so inclined, there would have been
plenty of trees to check out and the mountain seems to have some
interesting natural hardwood glades (at least it appeared so when I
looked into the woods on occasion.)  If I go back, I'll hopefully bring
my tree skis to explore that aspect of the mountain as well :) .

J.Spin