SKIVT-L April 1999, Week 2

Stowe 11Apr99 - SkiVT party

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:01:21 -0500

        What an awesome spring day of skiing at Stowe, and what a
contrast to the previous day at Jay Peak.  My friends and I (E, James
"Bennett", Chris, and Tom "Mango") arrived at Stowe around 9:00 A.M. and
found the green plaid ticket bearers (Wes Wright and Linda Schneider) in
the Mansfield base lodge.  We were happy to find out that the group
ticket minimum had been reached, indicating that Wes would not have to
hassle with the ticket folks, AND, turnout was good :)  The sky was a
great blue, and I kept reassuring my group that things would most
certainly get soft on the slopes.
        We headed up the quad and started off with one of my favorite
combos: Ridge View / Sunrise / Tyro.  Things were still a little firm,
but very edgeable and starting to get corned up.  It was my first time
at Stowe this season, but it felt like I never left :).  We hopped on
the quad again and checked out Centerline; nicely bumped but you had to
stay in the sun on the left for the soft snow, the right side was still
firm.  I figured that the snow would be totally soft over at the gondola
(lots of sun hitting there) so we worked our way over to Lower Hayride
(more bumps, softest on the left side) and connected to the Gondi.
        A little note on the Gondola:  this was my first time using
midfats (Volant Power Ti) on the Stowe Gondola and I found that they did
not fit in the regular ski slots because of their width.  We initially
put our skis in the big wide slot behind the regular slots, but found
they really stuck out at a strange angle due to the bindings.  When we
got ot the top, the lift op pointed out that they are quite unstable in
that spot (as in you may lose them under certain conditions) and showed
us a couple of wider slots at the very side of the storage racks.  These
worked out quite well, but there are only two of them.  That worked out
fine for our group, but I think another option might be to split the
skis, and put them in the wide back slot (with bindings facing out) if
there are more people.  Not to digress too much, but I just though it
might be nice to mention my experience since things can get hectic when
there's a big line at the gondola and there may not be time to
experiment with ski stowing.
        Anyway, back to the skiing...  We hit Gondolier, and as
expected, it was getting nice and soft in the sun.  The right side was
groomed, the left side was bumped, and behind just about every gondola
pole, there was a huge jump.  We were hooked.  We spent the rest of the
morning playing around on Gondolier until it was time for the 12:00
meeting up at the Octagon.  We took Cliff trail (soft groomed) over to
Lower Nosedive (a few bumps with a great ridge on the left side of the
trail) and grabbed our lunches at the car.
        For the first time in all my SkiVt parties (at least that I can
recall), we had a day that just begged us to use the Octagon deck.  What
a great group, it must have been 75% SkiVTer out there, green plaid was
everywhere.  I knew it was going to be a good lunch when suddenly, an
open-face roast beef sandwich appears before my eyes, compliments of
PattiMac.  Thanks again PattiMac, that was a real treat.  My group had
lunch at a table with a couple of fellow SkiVters, lurkers Matt R. and
Simon K.  We had a great conversation about all sorts of ski stuff, ski
areas, Tuckerman's, and it turns out they are big fans of Atomic skis
(riding 9.26s I believe) woohoo Atomic!  I saw lots of pictures being
taken at lunchtime, hopefully we can get some of those up on the web.
Can you believe the great views?  Wow!  The Presidentials were really
spectacular looking and I can't wait for that spring trip to Tuck's.  As
lunch drew to a close, I could see the green plaid start to get ready
for a run, but by the time I got my group together (and also had a great
conversation about Volant skis with Carol and Bruce Nelson (as I
recall)) the descent had begun, doh!
        I figured we would meet up with some of the SkiVTers eventually,
so we decided to head back to the Gondola where we had had so much fun.
We took Nosedive, finding the upper section with variably soft & hard
conditions (that upper section is fairly well hidden from the sun) and
the bottom much softer.  Mango jumped into the glades for a bit, but
reporting nothing special for snow consistency, so we hung to the trail
and skied the ridge on the left side of Lower Nosedive; another great
run.  We spent the next few runs back on Gondolier, Chris checked out
Chin Clip on one of the runs, and said that coverage wasn't too bad.
Probably the most memorable event of the day occurred on the upper
section of Gondolier (right after you leave the Gondola house, and take
that first left to get towards Chin Clip).  We had been enjoying the
snow on the right side most of the day, there was a sweet ridge, with as
much as 30-40 feet of steep fall-away terrain on the right side.  As the
day wore on and we knew the trail better, we could make bigger and
bigger dives into the slope, using the inertia to sling us back out onto
the trail with sometimes appreciable air.  On one of these dives,
Bennett dove in and got a bit tangled in some trees.  Mango dove in to
help, but actually ended up getting into a much bigger mess himself;
skis crossed, upside down, entangled in trees etc.  I knew it was time
for action, so I dropped in, removed my skis, placed them on top of
Mango (he couldn't do much to stop me without help) and told Chris to
get a good picture.  Even after we were done (and we actually helped),
it still took Mango a while to dig himself out.  I can't wait ot see the
photo.
        Sometime after 3:00, we finally ran into the SkiVTer brigade at
the top of the Gondola.  The call was for Perry Merrill, and we were
happy to join in.  I don't know how many of us there were, but it felt
like a dozen at least.  I can recall 5 from my group, along with Doug,
Wes, Telenaut, and another tele skier whose name I never got + others.
Who was that man ripping up the left side of Perry Merrill on those
teles?  E and I had to follow his great lead for some awesome turns.
Nearer the bottom, I switched over to the right side with Bennett, and
we discovered some nice jumps built into the trees there.  We all
traversed over to the quad, where some of the group called it a day, and
the rest of us went to finish off with one more easy run.  Wes suggested
a nice cruiser to finish off the day and I believe we went down Ridge
View / Sunrise / Lullaby Lane / Lower Tyro.  Somewhere (I guess it was
lower Tyro?) had a number of snow knolls, and knowing it was going to be
our last run, Bennett and I worked our hardest to get air off of each
and every one, it was great.  We finished off the day in the Mt.
Mansfield base lodge for a bit with some of the remaining SkiVters.
I've enjoyed all the SkiVT parties so far, but this one was a great
combination of sun, snow and temperature.  I enjoyed meeting everyone
new, and seeing some familiar faces as well.  I hope everyone enjoyed
the day (from all the reports, it sounds like people did), and thanks
again to Wes for setting it up.

J.Spin