SKIVT-L April 1999, Week 4

'Bush 4/24-25

Dan Barron <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:08:20 -0400

Before I even get started, just wanted to say there sure have been some
fantastic posts these last coupla weeks. This won't be one of 'em.
Pretty tame by comparison. And as usual, it goes on and on.

Matt Duffy's western tales sound like, damn, I wish I could ski there.
Then I think about the stuff I've seen him ski with no apparent effort
and read him talking about "ssssteep" and think, uh, I've got a ways to
go.

Or Hugh H, talking about skinning 1200 feet 3 times a week and not being
in shape. You people are sick. I'm proud to know you.

---

Saturday morning I skinned up Sugarbush North.

(I'm writing this in two sittings and in-between I just read Newcomer
Pete Baldwin's report. Mine was the one car he saw in the lot. I missed
Cliffs, though. Sounds like fun. Hi Pete.)

 It was too cold to be really
good. Walked on grass up as far as Slidebrook. On my way down I saw
people doing the same stretch on skis, by staying one trail over. Not
sure which was the better route, but I think, probably, theirs.

Further up, I decided to cut to the right and go up Exterminator, which
turned out to be a good and a bad move. Bad, because Exterminator was
too slick and too steep for easy skinning. Made many switchbacks and
burned my face walking into the sun-reflecting snow. Good, because,
on my way to Exterminator, I discovered that uphill woods skiing is as
much more fun than uphill trail skiing as downhill woods skiing is than
downhill trail skiing. Got that? What I'm trying to say is I had a great
time threading my way on skins and teles through the dense woods between
Bravo and Exterminator. Unfortunately, they were too tight and too
covered with fallen tree junk for me to see a way to ski down 'em.

Had a lovely lunch and view at the top of the Summit quad, also hiked
the very short distance along the Long Trail from the lift top to the
actual Peak of Mt. Ellen. The sign there is neat, but there's nothing
else worth seeing. Too many damn trees.

Coming down, I eyeballed and did a teensy-tiny stretch of FIS, but
quickly decided it was too hard and frozen. Plus, I hadn't seen another
soul all day, and didn't relish the idea of sliding. Went down Panorama
and Rim Run and even they were pretty nasty skiing. The snow looked
beautiful, but every little fluffy pile of snow was frozen hard. Chatter
city.

Elbow, however was entirely different. It had been groomed flat and was
just laying there, basking in the sun. Had great, easy corn snow turns
down to the Base of Summit quad. Saw one hiker (shoes only) going up.
Below that, snow was a bit less forgiving. It looked like corn, but it
wasn't. Is that what people mean by snow being "rotten"?

Had fun following little spits of snow cover as they led past huge bare
spots. One particular stretch, I was telling myself I was doing great,
saw where I'd have to stop because the snow gave out in about ten yards,
then, out of nowhere, hit a rock I wasn't expecting and tumbled through
nasty mud and gravel. Ouch.

As I neared the bottom, about noon, I saw more people heading up. The
snow was now starting to get softer. I think they knew something I had
only just learned: warmer is better.

Sunday I met up with J.Spin and friends E., Mango and Bennett to ski
South. Ran into Dougie a few runs later, who asked me to say hi to the
list. (No, not really. I just made that up.)

I've commented before about what a unique character J.Spin is to ski
with--controlled collisions and such--but I can now go into further
detail. That guy and his friends have made the process of having a good
time on the slopes into an art form.

I'd read his posts about skiing with his friends and half the time he's
talking about non-woods, blue square stuff and I just figured it's
because his friends are not that great skiers.

WRONG.

They just find more fun ways to ski whatever they're on than I thought
were possible.

Started off with a few runs on Spring Fling. Somehow J. got the idea to
do all his turns on the uphill ski only, going straight from left ski to
right with only a jumping transition. Next thing you know, the whole
group is doing it. They look like a bunch of Charlie Chaplin wannabe's
only dressed more colorfully.

Next came a cruise down skier's left, diving off the lip, into the woods
edge then back up on to the trail, over and over. The whole group is
doing this, single file, one after another.

On (flat) Snowball the order of the day was skiing backwards, bent over,
watching where you're going through your legs. Never did see anyone
coming *towards* me this way, which may be a good thing, but I could
picture it, and that alone was funny. Thrown in were a few
between-the-legs, skier-under-skier passes.

Here's a bit of tele-chauvinism that died in me on Sunday: I always
watch alpiners, even ones way way way better than me, and feel, maybe
they can ski more terrain, and more comfortably, than I can, but the
actual motions downhillers use are so limited compared to telly-ing.
Watching J. and Mango and Bennett and E. made me jealous of all the
little tricks that were available to them on alpines. Me, I was just
stuck doing boring old tele turns. The best I could come up with was
combining teles and (inside-out) reverse teles on Snowball, like
rollerblading, with one foot (left or right) forward all the time no
matter which way you're turning.

In terms of conditions, Spring Fling was pretty soft, but still, icier
than Snowball. Rest of the mountain seemed pretty hard still, but Dougie
reported that Ogrinder had softened up, so that was the next area to
try.

Meanwhile, I was having trouble really concentrating and making turns
well. I put it off to Spring weather. I think I used up the last of my
aggressive skiing outlook at the Party. Now I'm just running on fumes.
Combine that with warm temps and--surprise--the really strange sensation
of being at the top of the lifts and looking out over these beautiful
valleys of green. Made it very hard to ski hard.

Or so I thought. Turns out the bigger obstacle was my crummy old rock
ski that was coming undone under my foot. Binding got looser and looser.
I'd brought a screwdriver. I tightened it up, but soon it would be loose
again. Told J. to ski ahead. I continued down 'grinder and soon knew I
was in a mess.

Heck, even told a patroller, nah, I didn't need a sled ride down. Too
proud, but as soon as she left and I tried a few more turns, I realized
I'd made a mistake. Of three screws holding binding to ski, two were
gone and every little bit of torque on the last one just served to
unscrew it. A couple more shaky turns and next thing I know, my ski is
taking off down the hill while I stand and watch. Binding is unattached
from ski, but firmly on my boot.

Fortunately another skier helped me look through the woods to find it. I
would have given up. (And where, you may ask, were my safety straps? I
go through those things like water. Every type I've tried bust in one
way or another. When one of my third pair of the season busted at Stowe
two weeks ago I decided not to bother replacing them. After all, when
had my toe clip *and* heel strap ever both failed? Never. Hmm. Hold it.
I just this moment realized that even if I did have my strap, it still
wouldn't have done any good. Duh.)

Anyway, walked halfway down Ogrinder, than back up to the top of Bravo
lift and rode down. Love riding down lifts. I'd try to do it more if it
didn't mean not skiing down. Beautiful views.

Crissports fixed my ski, no charge, (thanks, repair guy) and I was back
on the slopes about 1:30. Still didn't trust my ski though, so I was
being pretty cautious at first, but the snow just kept getting softer
and softer and more and more fun.

Kept thinking I'd run into J. and friends but it never happened. I did
manage to hook up with a couple excellent tele skiers, for some of the
exact opposite kind of fun as I'd had with J. Instead of takin it easy,
these guys were just *charging* down Organgrinder.

Now, I've watched a lot of tele skiers on difficult terrain making big
hop turns and skidding to shed momentum. Over and over. Some of them are
so controlled in their movements, I don't think I could ever have that
much precision. But it's not a kind of skiing that appeals to me. These
two guys were taking much more of a zipper line, staying real low and
compact all the time, and really transitioning from left to right foot
forward at lightening speed. It was so exciting to watch. I was happy to
be able to almost keep up with them and catch a few pointers.

Ended the day with a cruise down from Lincoln Peak at 4:00. In the car
by 4:30 and cruisin' home, 334 miles away, by 9:45. This morning my
sweet wife informed me that, I may not know it yet, but my 98-99 ski
season has ended. She might yet be wrong, but part of me feels like, ok,
this last weekend was sweet and mellow. My skis are falling apart (Eric
K carefully analyzed this situation and informed me that this is in fact
the perfect opportunity to buy new toys--an eye-opening observation!),
and I don't have the drive in me for Tucks.

It's been a good year.

--telenaut