MUNINET Archives

May 1999


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Vershire TAX <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 May 1999 13:39:31 -0400
text/plain (29 lines)
We have had one request like this about a year ago.  We did ask for the
request with reasons in writing.  The person making the request was
claiming that she had no income because she could not work after an
operation to her knee.  When we matched up the dates, we found that she was
delinquent BEFORE any illness.  In addition, according to our delinquent
tax collector, she did not attempt to make any partial payments, nor did
she apply for any homestead rebates. The board denied her request.  There
are others in town in the same situation that do pay their taxes on time,
and take the time to help themselves via homestead rebates or whatever
programs are available to them.  Our town will work with individuals on a
payment plan. Before my time as C/T, the Board did abate taxes for a
homeowner that lost his house to fire.

Naomi, Vershire C/T.

At 02:21 PM 5/4/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Have any Boards of Abatement dealt with the issue of inability to pay and
>if so how has your town handled the situation?
>Did you render an abatement for this reason and if so, did you request
>specific information in writing to help you make your decision?
>Please let me know  Thank you