SKIVT-L May 1999, Week 2

Tuckerman Ravine 08MAY99

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 May 1999 13:45:15 -0500

        The weather called for cloudy conditions, showers, and a chance
of a thunderstorm on Saturday; not exactly the greatest day to hit
Tuckerman's Ravine.  As we left North Conway in the morning, clouds were
hiding everything above about 2000'-3000' from our view.  Although there
was no rain, and the cloud ceiling gave us interesting perspective on
the mountains, we still feared that our day would end up dreary in the
end.  Or first glimpses of blue sky appeared as we approached Pinkham
Notch at the 2000' level, and we could see that the clouds were actually
thicker below us.  The Presidentials above were also capped with clouds,
but we found ourselves in a pocket of on and off sunshine that we hoped
would last us through the morning.
        For this trip to the ravine, we had a group of six people:
myself, E, Chris, Melissa, Tom "Mango", and James.  We got ourselves
hiking up the Tuckerman Ravine trail by about 7:30 A.M., with packs
ranging from about 30-44 lb.  Temperatures were a bit cool and breezy,
but as the sun made appearances, things warmed up.  By random luck,
James ran into three of his cousins from the Conway area right as we
began our hike, and our group grew to nine people.  Warm temperatures
over the past week have certainly shown their effect.  While last
weekend, the consistent snowpack on the Tuckerman Ravine trail started
out at around 2500' - 2600', this weekend it started somewhere between
3000'-3500'.
        After last week's similar early start, E and I purchased instep
crampons to eliminate the ice slippage where the snow had not softened
up.  Last weekend, we noticed a guy truckin' right up past everyone with
something on his feet.  After a little thought, I realized that they
were those small crampons that I'd first seen Jay Amicangelo and Rich
use when we hiked Algonquin (as I recall) peak in the Adirondacks.
Although hardly a necessity on the Tuckerman Ravine trail, they make it
a lot easier to cruise right up without sliding around on the hard pack
ice areas (and they also made my downhike from Hojo's to 3000' the most
enjoyable I've ever had).  The first instances in which they would have
been useful on the Saturday hike up, appeared at around 2800', and I
waited until our 3000' rest stop to put them on.  E thought about
waiting until 3500', as there were still rocky areas, but soon caved in
when the group came upon a wall to wall icy section in which people were
having a lot of trouble and often needed to grab small conifers along
the edge of the trail just to keep moving.
        Despite the forecast, the sun had been increasing steadily
throughout our hike, and by the time we got to Hojo's, we could see that
the Ravine and surrounding areas were in a bit of a "sun pocket" with
clouds in the valley below, and more clouds billowing around above the
headwall.  There was a breeze of maybe 10-15 MPH, but it was just warm
enough to remain in shorts without having to put on wind gear.  We
happened to be there to witness one of the rangers put up the closed
signs for both the Sherburne trail and the little headwall; their time
had come I guess :(.  After skiing them last weekend, and with all the
warm weather, I figured they wouldn't last.  Here is the status as of
the latest USFS avalanche bulletin (Sunday May 9, 1999)

THE LIP IS CLOSED TO ALL USE due to crevasses and undermined snow.
The Little Headwall is an open raging river with no snow. So it is
closed to all skiing, riding, or sliding. Skiers in Tuckerman Bowl must
walk back down to Hermit Lake.
As of Saturday, 5-8-99, the Sherburne ski trail is closed.

        While we were taking a break at Hojo's, a group of boys / men
appeared carrying a rescue sled.  The ski patroller that was with them
quickly got everyone's attention and gave a public thanks as they had
carried the sled all the way up the Tuckerman Ravine trail.  They all
introduced themselves, and it turns out they were all from various parts
of Vermont :).  It was apparently a big day for work, and at the bottom
of the section of the Tuckerman Ravine trail connecting Hojo's to the
Ravine itself, there were a bunch of large boards.  Although I didn't
know this, it turns out these are there for anyone to carry up the
trail.  Mango and I found this out as we obtained one (sort of by
surprise) about halfway up the trail from another pair of hikers.  We
dropped it off at the first aid cache along with the rest of the pile.
I always wondered how some of that stuff got up there, now I know.
Chris also had his hands in some of the carrying; not exactly what he
was looking for when he already had 44 lb. on his back, but hats off to
him for that one :)
        We arrived in the ravine and dropped our stuff at one of the big
rocks right near where the trail enters into the main bowl.  My plan was
to ski the Lobster Claw if possible, and it started right down here, way
below the lunch rocks anyway.  I could immediately see that a lot of
snow / ice had disappeared from the headwall.  Where last week it was
almost totally covered in snow / ice, this week there were only a couple
of small passable areas, and crevasses were forming below in the bowl.
We didn't get a personalized introduction by the ranger, but we could
tell we were going to stay away from the center of the bowl.  There were
even some huge ice chunks that had settled in the bowl; one that looked
at least as big (from my distance) as a large microwave oven.  We met
Jay Amicangelo on his way into the bowl with two friends.  We talked
about the stroke of luck with the weather, and the nasty looking
conditions over at the center of the headwall.  They were thinking of
heading in the direction of the left gully, which had plenty of great
snow in it.
        We switched to ski boots and got ready for our selected hikes.
James, E and I chose to head up the Lobster  Claw (I had never skied
it), while everyone else headed in the direction of Chute.  Melissa,
being an intermediate skier, was planning on hiking below the Chute
until she got to a level that she felt she could still ski.
Fortunately, there was plenty of green terrain left in the bottom of the
bowl, and the Chute looked to be safe from icefall danger.  Looking up
at the Lobster Claw, we could see that the left part of the "claw" was a
raging waterfall, but the right side had nice cover.  We started up,
with James taking point.  At about 1/3 of the way up, he noted that the
left side of the main chute had running water, and looked somewhat
undermined.  We paused and discussed safety for a bit, deciding that we
would hang to the right side of the main chute where there did not
appear to be any running water, and the snow was less deep, merging
slowly with the brushy vegetation.  During our hike, the clouds above
the headwall threatened to dive into the ravine (and obscure visibility)
but they held off, just skirting the top of left gully for a bit.  I can
recall from a previous ski day (June 16, 1996) when the ravine went from
almost clear to pea soup in just a minute or two, so I was thankful that
the clouds held off.   E had decided to stop at the point of the split
in the claw (somewhere around 4700'), noting that the width up above
might be a little smaller than she was ready for.  James and I continued
upward, but James soon spotted more undermined snow mixed in with
vegetation that created tree wells.  I joined him up above, and after
careful inspection, we decide that it would probably be best to start
from there.  The narrowness of the chute at that point with shrubbery
taking up most of the space, might necessitate ski removal anyway.  I
checked my altimeter; elevation was 4800'.  We clicked into our skis and
began the descent.  E was surprised that we were back so soon, but she
took the opportunity to snap a couple of photos on the way down.  David
Goodman's backcountry skiing book puts the slope of the Lobster Claw at
35 degrees.  The width at times (on our day) was down to one ski length,
so it was quite a ride :).  We all enjoyed making jump turns in the nice
soft snow, and E really started to get the hand of connecting sequential
jump turns (like powder, it seems to be easiest once you get going and
get into a rhythm.)  Near the bottom, we cut left into a different chute
as the bottom of the the Lobster Claw Chute became congested with
brush.  From there, we followed right down to our big rock and our
gear.  I found the Lobster Claw to be quite enjoyable, not exceedingly
steep, and nice and tight to really force those short turns.  Our other
friends had enjoyed their runs at the Chute.  Melissa had done
sequential runs, getting higher and higher each run.  On her final run,
she was about 3/4 of the way up to the narrow rocks of the Chute, and
she said she was "Scared to death", (in a good way.)  We could see her
trying ot make that first turn on the steep terrain; always the
hardest.  In the end though, she was really psyched and had a great
sense of accomplishment.  Chris had a good run on the Chute as well,
joining in with Jay A. and crew.  Some of the folks went up for another
run on the Chute (and some pants sliding in the area below), but I
wanted to get my stuff together and start down.  I was considering going
for another run, but I was also psyched to get down early.  I heard that
the last run on the Chute was another good one as well though.
        Normally, I can't stand hiking down.  It just sucks; all this
work of carrying skis up, and then you don't even get to ski down on
them!  Bah!  For once though, I had a really enjoyable downhike due to
the crampons.  No slipping, just walking along the ice and snow like it
was a flat slope.  Even with my early start down, James and his cousins
came screaming by not long after Hojo's.  As it turns out, they were
racing down. Best time was 30 min.  James came in second with 32 min.
I'll never know how he can still run with such a heavy pack!  Once I
arrived down at Pinkham notch, I found out that the broccoli and cheese
soup at the cafeteria was a huge hit.  James had tried it, and before
you knew it, almost everybody had a bowl.  I tried it as well, oh man,
you know how almost anything can taste good after a day of hiking, well
this stuff was good to begin with! (drool).  Thanks to everyone that
helped out in our ski day (especially Chris for the free sleeps, and Tom
for the use of his car), and thanks to mother nature for holding off
with the rain.  Later that night while we were having dinner at
Tuckerman's Tavern, it poured like crazy!  A few hours earlier and it
would have made for a much different experience.

J.Spin