SKIVT-L May 1999, Week 3

Gulf of Slides

Kathleen Bauman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 May 1999 00:23:24 EDT

Following the vivid posts of two esteemed listers.....

Pulled out 'o Burlington Friday about 6:30pm after picking up
Kathleen's mother at BTV International.  Arrived at
the "Royalty Inn" in Gorham a little after 9:00 with no moose
encounters.  The Royalty is an excellent place though
I can't report on the $.  They've got a pool and jacuzzi
and such but we only sampled the beds after a perfect
day of skiing and hiking and some reebs in the rooms
on Sat. night.

The Bogan clan saddled up on Sat. morn. with Denis, Kathleen,
myself, Dick Carlson, Denis' son Johnny, and former scout (Eagle,
no less) from Denis' troop Jesse, met up with Jerm, Matt,
and Mark R. for a truly fine day in the Gulf of Slides.  Our
prediction of doubling the population of the Gulf of Slides
was slightly off... there were a grand total of four there when
Jerm and Matt arrived.  The entire day we saw only two
more folks with skis for a skiing population total for the day
of 15.  Needless to say the skiing lines were basically
unspoiled.

And what lines they were.  Our first run was up the Main Gully
with the incredible slide damage at the bottom.  It had carved
a perfectly symmetrical corridor out of the substantial evergreens
well down from the higer angle slopes.  If you're here on a day
that looks like something might let go, don't hang out near the
first aid cache.  You'd be way too close for comfort.  The memorial
sign on the cache for the two skiers who'd died in just such a way at
that spot in '96 is a powerful reminder.
The climb was fairly low angle up to a little rocky waterfall that
dead ended the main gully, forcing us climber's right.  A tele-dude
and dudette were climber's left of the waterfall and basked in the
sun as we ascended.  The sun was intense and the breezes were
seldom, so mucho-hydration was essential.
As we bore right I paused often to take in the southeasterly views
of Cranmore and Attitash and the easterly view of Wildcat.  Mark's
steady "ka-chunk" with AT boots, crampons and ice axe looked
fun.  The man knows his toys and knows how to use 'em.

Half the group clicked in (what to tele-ers and boarders do?) just
below a narrow spot were the brush started to encroach.  Kathleen,
Jeese, Johnny and I climbed higher, though we encountered some
unnerving undercut snow where you could hear and feel the fast
rushing water beneath you.  It was loud enough to make verbal
communication difficult.  Kathleen wasn't too keen on falling through
and she and Johnny stopped 20yds past the narrow spot.  Jesse
and I climbed a bit higher and were stopped by brush.
The first few turns were simple hops, picking a narrow line in
between brush, rocks, flowing water and snow ready to cave
in.  Mark provided verbal inspiration as I nailed the narrow spot pretty
well.  The snow was perfect corn.  It had probably briefly frozen the
night before and was not at all like the slop that returns little
energy to your turns.  We got good action shots of everyone
hitting the crux of the run, including Jerm and Matt, who easily
caught us after their first run.
The rest of the run was wider and lower angle, with perfect snow
making for energetic turns and huge grins.  The flatter bottom part
with slide debris made for a nice obstacle course. We regrouped,
downed lunch and drank in the sun as we leisurely contemplated
round two.
I thought about heading over the small ridge to climber's left and reaching
the snowfields that you can see so well from Rt. 16.  Consensus seemed
to be for the narrow gully that we'd first spied on the hike up.  Turned
out to be the correct choice, as run #2 was truly epic.
The climb seemed fairly easy at first but turned sketchy quickly.  The
gully snaked left around a rocky outcropping and then got steeper.
Undercut wasn't a problem but every now and then your bootstep
would collapse in the softened snow, sending you 5'-6' down the hill.
Kathleen experienced a couple of these and got a little spooked,
but made a great run anyway.
Jerm again caught us, cruising with his teles over one shoulder
and his incredible stamina leaving us awed.  His bootsteps were
quite wide, and I chose to take two two his one quite a few times.
We reached the logical end of the run and Jerm cruised right
over some brush to access the next gully just above.  Now I
know Jerm has done this type of thing many times before, and
I'm a serious turn-earning newbie, but I was unsure about him
skiing alone.  (Translation: I justified going a little further for
altruistic reasons.) I wouldn't have continued if he hadn't.
About 60' of brush climbing and disentangling later, we were
back on snowa firma, though this time feeling very alone.
Jerm commented, "a little intimidating, huh?" as we
stepped up a 40-45 degree gully, about 4-5 ski lengths wide
above a mini-waterfall. Yoiks.
It was deadly quiet as I gingerly clicked in, being very deliberate
and slow.  Jerm had dissapeared above, ascending to the ridge
and peering into Oakes Gulf.  I yelled a couple times and he
later said he had heard me, though I couldn't hear his reply.  Turns
out I could've bagged another 100' of vert. with good snow above,
similar angle, but my nerve was up and it was time to go.
The snow was basically perfect, a little heavier in the late
afternoon sun, but the turns were sweet.  Didn't come close
to blowing it and I got up a little speed, which spooked me.
Nearing the brush cutoff, I spied a little gully on skier's
left that paralled the brush section.  I yelled down to Kathleen
and she was thankful I'd made it down, but she didn't think
the gully I'd found connected through.  I said I'd just take a look
but went ahead and skied it.  Better than downhiking through
wet, steep, thick brush, I rationalized.
Five turns later I was faced with a choice: hike back up and
downhike the brush we'd originally ascended, or negotiate
a smooth, overgrown waterfall emptying into seriously undercut
and overhanging snow.  Lord knows why I chose the latter.
I de-skied and de-poled and tossed them onto the heavy
brush where they stuck.  I then got a hold of some tough
branches and did a little rappel.  Next grab the skis and poles
and toss a little further.  Repeated this dance about four times
over the running water and rock.  At the bottom the overhanging
snow dissappeared into blackness.  As I attempted to move
laterally around to the safer snow, my foot conveniently removed
about 25 sq. ft. of snow with a thud, down into the water, the
maneater Jerm spoke of.  I went further left, finally reaching stable
snow.  Retrieving skisand poles was tricky, as I got a little too close
to the remaining overhang.  One pole was at the floor under the
overhang, and for a few anxious seconds, laying atop the undercut
snow while blindly reaching down for a piece of aluminum and plastic
made me question my sanity.

The rest of the run was a piece 'o cake.  Everyone else had
left a little bobsled track and a few turns netted nice little
airs.  At the bottom we all marvelled at what a perfect run
we'd just conquered and adrenaline masked the fact I'd
just scared myself silly.
We packed up with big smiles and stories to tell, and I envied
Matt and Jerm tenting on the mtn.  The stories reebs and kielbasa
make me a little more envious.  Lugging a 65 lb. pack up the
long G. of S. slide would be a bit of a downer, though.
The hike down was entertaining and long, with wet snow and
stream crossings keeping you on your toes and putting some
of us on our butts.  The bottow third was serious mud.  Kathleen
almost lost her shoes in the glop.  We all wanted to ski this
sucker when there's snow all the way down. Beautiful double
fall lines, blind turns, narrow and wide, steep and mild, and long.  Why
don't they cut this way at the lift served stuff?  (Some do,
I suppose)
Mark provided the well-earned reebs in the pkg. lot and we made
plans for a shorter but equally epic day on Sunday...
TBC
Jim B.