]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  May 1999, Week 3

SKIVT-L May 1999, Week 3

Weekend on the Rockpile -- 5/15-16 cont'd

Beetnik <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 May 1999 11:09:33 -0500

Sorry, not used to this Netscape mail.. not like Pine.. the rest
follows:

Beetnik wrote:

> What a weekend... you couldnt ask for better conditions.
> My adventure started on Friday night as I careened north through the
> dark New Hampshire countryside. I had a close call with a deer on I-93 .
> He/she was just sitting down in the breakdown lane, with its nose on the
> white line. Weird, it looked stuffed, and spooky -- kinda like it had no
> legs (maybe that's why it was sitting down?).  Anyway, after a fun ride
> over the Pinkham B road (Dolly Copp) I made it to the Wildcat parking
> lot where my friend Matt had already set up camp and was sucking back
> reebs. I joined him and after some stargazing (incredible, no moon and
> perfectly clear) I headed off towards a field to go to sleep. Woke up at
> 530 AM with birds chirping and dew all over my face.... damn birds made
> it a short night. WE met Mark in the parking lot at 730 to drop off
> Matt's car and then headed down to Gorham for some supplies where I
> bought a really nice pot and some even better kielbasa. We were back up
> to Pinkham by 830 but my usual slowness kept us there till 915 or so.
>
> The hike up was pretty nice. Less rocky than the Tucks trail, but a
> little muddy in  places. It looks like a really fun ski trail, very
> windy and loaded with fun fall-away turns. Matt postholed on a big
> snowpatch and fell on his back, his heavy pack anchoring him ther like a
> turtle. We made it to the main slides in about 1 hr 50min and marveled
> at the destruction of this years slides. The lefthand chute must have
> gone big this winter, as acres of trees were flattened just past the
> avalance cache. It looked liek a tornado came through. We wondered why
> more of the snow wasnt left cause it looked liek branches on the few
> trees left standing were clipped up to about 20ft, is it snow that does
> most of this kind of damage or the air blast in front of it?
>
> The rest of the skivt-l gang showed up about 15 min later. Matt and I
> hjeaded up the first gully and skied about 4-500 verts of good corn. The
> gully zigged around a rock in the middle, and the snow was getting
> really undermined there, I punched through twice. Other than that it was
> great. We heaed over to the lefthand gully next and cought up with the
> others who were most of the way up the chute. Somehow we all avoided a
> major pileup in the narrows, but Kathleen had a great pileup of her own
> a bit farther down.
>
> After lunch everyone headed up the first chute. Jim and I kept going
> past the top of the snow and linked together a steep series of patches
> above. One of them was above a waterfall and felt a bit exposed. The
> snow was really soft though so you didnt have to worry too much about
> sliding. I continued up over the top to get a look into Oakes Gulf. I
> liked what I saw. The run down was a long one, with an interesting
> bushwhack in the middle where Jim had made a real man-eater of a hole
> for me.

I got down just as the skivt-l contingent was preparing to leave. There
was still a lot of light left so I was gung-ho to climb up over the top
and camp out on a big snow patch I found up ther. Matt, however, had
reservations about skiing down on teles with a heavy pack.. so we stayed
put for the night. It cooled down a bit but never got cold. We cooked
some mean kielbasa on a little fire we built on one of the debris piles
(it melted out a pretty big hole by the time we were done) and went to
bed around 10:30. I slept under the stars again and had a very restful
night. Matt forgot a sleeping pad though and was pretty uncomfortable in
his tent on the snow (I love my Deluxe Therma-rest :)

Sunday dawned bright and beautiful. Matt had to be down by 2 so he just
planned on taking 2 or 3 runs and breaking camp. I still wanted to
explore so we split up and I headed up the first gully to the ridge. I
hit the Davis Path  about 10 min south of Boott Spur. It was really
amazing up there. Totally quiet except for some buzzing insects and the
distant toot of the cog. There were a number of people on the East
Snowfields and I thought I could see cars in the parking lot up top, di
you guys ever end up taking the Auto Rd up?

My plan was to take the Davis Path to the Lawn Cutoff and then strike
south into the Gulf. This worked out ok and I hit snow within about 10
min. The snow in Oakes Gulf was absolutely sublime. Thjere was only one
set of tracks that were probably a week old. The skiing basically
consisted of a series of 400' long snowfields that got progressively
longer and steeper as I headed to skiers right. The last one was right
up against the rocks of the headwall and had a nice steep rollover at
the top. It was silky smooth and I was able to make big fat loopy turns
all the way down. It took 700 steps to get back up, so I figure that's
about 450 vertical feet that were all mine. Across the way I could see
the Double Barrel chutes. The one on skiers right looked good, though
the snow ended about 200 vertical feet from the top. The other route
Goodman mentions (coming from near Lakes of the Clouds) was pretty much
shot.
I could see consistant snowpack in the floor of the Gulf down to the
pond. Things were melting fast though, and I'd bet next weekend Oakes
wont be worth it... I may have had the last tracks of the season. I was
satisfied with 4 runs and started the hike back to may pack.

After a quick lunch I headed off for my 3 o'clock date with Hillman's.
It took about 20 min to get there from the top of the snow in Oakes.
Pretty close really. Hillmans was loaded with people (the first I saw
that day) but in great condition. I took the middle chute and had fun
despite struggling with a heavy pack. The middle was bumped up, my quads
were screaming and I could barely get up outta my teles. The snow ended
a bit short of the very bottom (but well into the trees). It was one
long run (1600 vert'?) I was beat. The bowl looked beautiful, and I had
to stop myself from hiking in to ski some more (needed to save energy
for the hike down). I promised myself at least one more day in the
ravine. I think it'll still be good in June, there's alot of snow in
there.

What a weekend,
Jerm