Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  June 1999, Week 1

SKIVT-L June 1999, Week 1

Selkirks 5/17 to 5/21 (Part two)

"John Crowley, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:19:46 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Day 2- May 18th
There are six to eight inches of fairly dry new fallen snow outside the
tent.  However, the air temperature seems easily above freezing.  This
morning I stand outside the tent in the sun, while it is lightly
snowing, in a pair of shorts and one long sleeve shirt.  I am perfectly
comfortable.  I am kind of excited.  I can certainly ski powder.

Jim knows better, as we need the hot sun to make skiing conditions
tolerable.  He's not grumpy, just a little put off by the weather.  We
need cold air for good powder skiing, though it would be very dangerous
for avalanches if that scenario were to happen right now.  Living in the
east the last few years, after five years in California, it has taken me
a while to get used to the rules of skiing in the west again.  Warm
weather snowfall in the spring and summer are certainly not desirable.

By the time the snow stops, we head out to ski a different area above
the lakes from yesterday.  The sun partially shows through the clouds
and we really rip it up on a few runs when we can see.  When the sun
goes behind clouds during a couple of descents, I cannot see where I'm
going.  After we each start little wet slides on some moderate terrain,
as I did yesterday, we break for lunch at 2 pm.   Clouds move in and it
begins to snow heavily.  Eating as we throw our packs on, we head
quickly back to camp.  I lead and follow our tracks from the morning, as
the tracks haven't filled in with new snow yet.

Though again there was not much sun to be seen and I applied the
sunscreen diligently, I am again burned on the outside of my hands. I
end up listening to the sound of snow falling on the tent while reading.
For this trip, I'm re-reading "South of the Tudo Bem Café," a collection
of poems by UVM biology professor Dr. Jan Conn.  Jim is getting into Sir
Ernest Shakleton's account of his attempt to cross Antarctica, titled
"South: The Endurance Expedition."  According to the introduction it is
the kind of story "that will never make you think you are cold or hungry
again."  I'm neither of those, but I'm hungry for good weather.

Jim reminds me again that on his five-day spring trip to the Monashees
last year he only spent one in the tent, due to fog.  It didn't rain or
snow once and the skiing conditions were superb. Tonight, I really begin
to wonder if we'll catch a break with the weather.  Maybe this is a year
when the Selkirks and Monashees have no summer.

Day 3 - May 19th
Again, new fallen snow.  This time it is only a couple of inches.  This
morning, within 25 feet of the tent there are sets of two different
animal tracks in the snow.  One bigger, one little.  Jim thinks it is a
wolf and offspring.  A little later we discover another set in the
opposite direction from the tent.  It looks like a rabbit that stopped
in its tracks and immediately turned around - I wonder if the seemingly
panicked rabbit became the wolves' midnight snack.

Jim mentioned last night that if the weather was not going to be great
today, we would scout our route back to Revelstoke.  For the first time,
I really feel the effects of living so close to sea level.  The last
couple of days I did not feel great at times, but I've always been a
quick adapter to elevation.  After more than four hours of climbing with
skins, I stop at a flat T-like section of ridgeline, while Jim goes
right and forges ahead and upward to a very small plateau area to look
at our route.

We plan to traverse across the mountain range north towards the top of
Mt. McKenzie, at around an elevation of 8000'.  The mountain peak
overlooks the town, some 6500' below.  From where we are currently, Mt.
McKenzie is covered in clouds and Revelstoke is not visible, but I can
see the Columbia River running south of town to the west far below,
where it looks sunny.  The water looks turquoise and blue and the
greenery around it gives a sharp contrast to the whiteness up here.
Farther beyond, on the other side of the valley probably 10 miles
distant, are the Monashees, which are barely visible through the clouds.
Again today, we are surrounded intermittently by snow showers and low
hanging banks of clouds.

Jim returns to where I have stopped to tell that our planned route home
is blocked.  We're only a couple miles south of the peak of Mt.
McKenzie, but on the other side of the plateau, the steep descending
ridgeline narrows considerably.  He says that we would have to ski a
six-foot wide double cornice section, with direct drops of close to 100
feet to snow covered terrain below on each side.  With 60 to 80 pound
packs, a mistake here, or a crumbling cornice, would mean falling onto
sheer steep pitches on either side and tumbling downward for at least
hundreds of feet before coming to a stop.  Further, he says, should we
make it through there, we would have to descend over a series of steep
rock exposed cliffs - with skis, boots, poles, probes, ice axes, food,
cooking equipment, shovels and our tent.  Beyond that, Jim couldn't tell
what was below in our path.

The eastern or right side of the corniced section, which I looked at
closely on the way up to this location, looks as if it drops off steeply
for at least a thousand feet.  I couldn't see the bottom, only the sheer
wall of mountainside across from it, forming the other side of the
canyon.

From where we are sitting and looking at the map, the route we just
followed to get this far (coming up the bottom of the T) has a three
thousand foot face on the left or west that goes down to a creek that
runs to the Columbia.  The right side has a huge cornice, with a serious
drop below.  The right side (of the top) of the T is impassable.  We
look at the west ridgeline (top of the T), which extends vertically
below us.  It is steep, but we see one area that might be open in the
long cornice, as the cornice extends the length of the ridgeline,
probably three quarters of mile.  From what we can tell, the very end of
this ridge also has cliffs.

We ski along the top of the cornice following the ridgeline to what we
think is the shelf area, or break in the ridgeline.  Luckily, we find
there is no cornice, it is open to the very steep slope below.  After
close inspection, Jim disappears from view while taking a test run.
Nothing slides, and when he returns we decide we have a route to the
north into a more gentle looking valley that is contained by a mountain
ridge to the north.  If we can get beyond that, we are not far from the
lower flanks of Mt. Mc Kenzie.  Two and half hours later, our scouting
mission done for the day, we are back in the tent.

I'm exhausted and dehydrated, even though I drank a serious amount of
water throughout the day.  Jim says tomorrow could be a day for the 4
R's.  Reclining, Resting, Relaxing and Reading, though at the same time
he says "there would be no shame in breaking camp early."  I take that
to mean he thinks that we'll still have a long way to get home.

Tonight, the sun comes out and the sky is clear.  It is incredible.  Jim
takes some pictures with his camera for the first time since the first
morning.  The alpenglow at sunset is spectacular.  The 8 pm sun is so
strong, and some of the newer snow so unstable, that slides start
happening every few minutes on the steep western facing flanks of Ghost
Peak, near our camp.  We stand in awe watching for probably an hour.
Some of the slides come rumbling all the way down to the snow buried
lake edge.  Few of them are very big, as most start high up as little
"point" slides.  Once in a while, we hear the sound of smashing rock as
the peak of The Ghost itself heats up and falls apart.

I fall asleep thinking about ripping big GS turns over great terrain, on
awesome snow, in weather that allows me to see where I'm headed.  I feel
that what little we did of that the first three days was not enough.
Maybe tommorrow.  I also realize that it took me until today to
consciously consider something outside our world up here.  With today's
work toward finding a way home, I was "forced" to actually stop and
specifically consider all the things that usually fill my days back in
Burlington. What is it I do there?  Oh, yeah.  Lectures, exams,
projects, grades, deadlines, applications, paperwork, bills - I'm
thinking this kind of isolation can be a great thing.  For three full
days, I have not had a single care in the world outside of what we're
doing here.  Not even close.