Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  June 1999, Week 1

MEDLIB-L June 1999, Week 1

Summary:Clipping file

Sharp Memorial Hospital <[log in to unmask]>

Sharp Memorial Hospital <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Jun 1999 17:05:51 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

Thanks to everyone who answered my question:   SHOULD you keep a
clipping file in a patient library?

It depends on what your clipping file has in it.  At The Health
Library, the clipping file takes about 10 hours a week of staff
time,
with a collection of articles from NYT, WSJ, Consumer Reports,
Science
News, Newsweek, Time, medical journals, pamphlets, and some printed
web
sites.  The result is a unique resource.  It comes about because The
Health Library has some talented volunteers who select these
materials
and mount them on 8-1/2 x 11 paper for attractive photocopies.
    However, unless you have these resources and pressure from
management to keep it up, I wouldn't have one.  With limited
resources
management to keep it up, I wouldn't have one.  With limited
resources
that most consumer health libraries have, I would rely on InfoTrac,
and
a few selected Internet sites--healthfinder.gov and MedlinePlus--and
continually train the volunteers how to use them.

These products might be worth a look.  This is from a handout for
the
consumer health information services course I'm teaching at MLA this
May.
    Nidus New York 1-800-334-9355  www.well-connected.com
- Well Connected  88+ 8-page reports for the educated patient.
Reviewed
and updated annually.  Print or Web Site license.  Print set & 1
year
subscription with updates:  $142.  Web site license $250/year.

Healthwise, 2601 N. Bogus Basin Road, Boise ID 83702.
1-900-706-9646
www.healthwise.org [log in to unmask]
- Knowledgebase^Y CD-ROM, standalone or networked & Internet &
intranet.
~500 problems, 150 in-depth, 135 symptom-based topies, 30 consumer
ed
topics.  Includes medical tests & procedures, self-help and support
groups, 120+ NCI topics. USPDI

Anyway, if you have the opportunity to use the time and space now
devoted to the clipping files for something else, I would use this
opportunity to discard it.  Store it in file boxes for two years and
put
it in a closet.  Find out how much you use it and if you don't, toss
in
a year--definitely in two.
---
I do agree that the Web has largely replaced my vertical file. Or
rather, the
vert file is becoming filled w/printed web pages and URL notations
on 3X5
cards.  I know it's current, which the print stuff often isn't.  And
now that
lots of federal governement agency pamphlets are  available on the
Web, I
know I'm getting the most recent edition.  I  still save stuff like
the
recent special issue of Newsweek on health and local stuff on the
healthcare
industry.  (My employer, Detroit Medical Center is going  thru a lot
of
financial mess and downsizing right now.  People, both staff and pts
are
interested in the local news coverage.)
---
I saved your message hoping to see some responses on the discussion
list.  I am a SOLO librarian with minimal volunteer help in a 200
bed
hospital in rural Illinois.  This library includes both the
professional
library and the Community Health Information Center.  I find that I
haven't
got the time to weed the clipping files to  keep up-to-date
information.
Plus my patrons want information from "that computer", so I find
myself going
to the Internet for consumer information.   But at the same time, if
I could
supply a pamphlet for each and every request, the consumers would be
thrilled.  I don't know how to justify the cost of pamphlets when
the
information is available elsewhere, but if that is what people want
then
that's what they get.  I'm now in the process of filing pamphlets
with the
clipping file to save us having to look through 2 or 3 spots for
information.
---
Hi - we use Insight (produced by IAC health reference) and the major
healthcare orgs provide CHI brochures, so we no longer maintain an
8-drawer CHI file.   I have not missed maintaining the hardcopy
file.
Eventually I will provide links from our home page to the major CHI
links
---
We still keep a vertical file, but it has been downsized quite a bit
because
of the resources you mentioned. Also, it's a monster to keep
current! I
don't go looking for things to put in it, but if something crosses
my desk
that looks interesting, it's a candidate. Also, some things we want
to keep
in the library, but it's too ephemeral for the book shelf.

I also don't keep a lot of pamphlets for the same reason. So many
are
available on Health Reference Center in full text, and usually the
lack ofI also don't keep a lot of pamphlets for the same reason. So
many are
available on Health Reference Center in full text, and usually the
lack of
pictures poses no or little problem.
---
No. I find that Health Reference Center is frequently too technical
for most
consumers.  Many do not want articles from NEJM or other medical
journals.
And most that I deal with do not know how to effectively search the
web.
Many are dealing with serious chronic conditions and are interested
in
finding their own info with assistance, which is what I'm there for.
 I still
try to keep up the vertical file, althought more and more I'm
including stuff
from the Web...
----
Our Patient/Family Resource Center has only been open a year, and we
have
never had a clipping file.  I don't think we would ever take the
time for a
file because HRC does meet our needs so well.  Also there are so
many
excellent news sources on the web nowadays.  When a patron says "I
read it
in the newspaper two weeks ago" there is usually a web way to find
it.

I suppose if one has lots of volunteers the clipping process is a
good way
for them to stay up on what's happening, and it gives them something
to work
on between questions.
---
I still like the clipping file  because it is immediately available
when
someone comes in. Not everyone wants to wait to go on the computer.
Also, we copy lots of articles from the consumer health newsletters
and
put them in the files. I am not sure if all of these publications
are
available on Health Refernence Center.
----
Yes, I would have to say that the article file is not used as
extensively
as it once was but it still has value.  Not EVERYTHING is on the
Internet.
We will continue to use our clip file as supplementary to other
media.
-----
It's funny you should ask this; I was thinking about this same
     question the other day.  Lately, I haven't been keeping any of
my
     "clipping files" (actually, I had stored stuff on 3.5" disks)
up to
     date, or adding anything to them.  I do get enough from HRC
and/or the
     web to satisfy 75% of the questions asked, and for the rest,
either I
     find info in fairly common sources (the various Merck Manuals,
etc.),
     or else the question is too technical (or the disease
     or condition too rare) for lay-level sources.
----
I have a small corner of my library devoted to consumer health, and
I use
HRC and the Internet much much more than I do my clipping file.  As
matter of fact we just ran out of space for professional journals
and will
have to build new shelves where that file was, so I have just
"tossed"
about all of my brochures--I literally have nowhere to put them.
And they
go out of date sooo fast.  I kept my Well-Connected reports from
Nidus
systems, they are 8-page writeups of about 100 subjects, very
thorough and
updated every single year.  But just about everything else is gojne.
 We
will see if we can survive without it.
------
To me part of it depends on what you include in your "clipping"
file.  We
don't do a traditional clipping file.  We have folers on topic that
we get
asked all the time. We don't include clips from things that "may"
prove to
be useful.  To me clipping files started as a way to keep track of
things
that didn't have indexing sources, or where we couldn't afford the
indexing
sources.  Now access to indexing and tracking down information is
much
better.

In our folder are news article, magazine articles, printouts from
web sites,
literature searches, fact sheets, reports, a whole variety of things
related
to answering the question.  It does several things for us.  Saves
tremendous
time remembering and pulling articles from various sources over and
over
again. Makes sure we have access to certain "key" things. Our staff
can
assess without our help.  We also keep folders on topics that took a
great
deal of effort, days and days worth, that we wouldn't want to
recreate.
----
I wouldn't maintain a clipping file if I have access to Health Ref
Center
and other services on internet.
-----
I worked on an interim basis at Washington Community Health Library
in
Fremont last fall and now fill-in on an occasional Saturday. The
Internet
and HRC are used a great deal, but there is a need for a clipping
file for
colorful pamphlets, newspaper articles and other such items that
cannot be
found online. It's also nice to have everything together in one
convenient
place. However, a clipping file does take much time and energy.

Coincidentally, I was just ordering a lateral clipping file cabinet
for a
[...]

HRC and the Internet much much more than I do my clipping file.  As a