SKIVT-L June 1999, Week 5

Re: Boots

Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:23:12 -0400

The number of responses on this one and the passion of the discussion
proves the  sophistication of SkiVTers.  They understand that the most
important piece of equipment is boots, not skis.  You can't outski your
boots.

Being as opinionated as the next SkiVTer, let me chime in on several boot
questions.

1.)  Race Boots:  I still use them; Lange X09, one notch down from the
World Cup boot.  I use them for all mountain skiing and for slow speed
teaching demos.  The secret is - get the forward flex softened by a good
shop.  I got mine softened in 3 steps and they are now very soft toward
forward flexing.  I like them that way, perhaps even more so because I do a
lot of free heel parallel on tele bindings and I'm used to controlling
ankle flex myself rather than having the boot do it for me.  Why pay for a
top end boot and do this?  So you will have top end lateral stiffness.
The combination laterally stiff, forward soft, is ideal for shaped skis.
There is nothing un-manly about this; World Cup racers have been softening
the forward flex of their boots for years.  Last season boot makers
introduced new models with these characteristics, such as the Lange G
series.

Take a look at the picture at the website given earlier in this thread

http://www.hyperski.com/Articles/aug98babcock.10commandments.htm

The racer is waaay in the "back seat".  The hips are 6 inches or more
behind the heels.  Now this may be a World Cup racer about to jet off the
tails of the skis in complete control, but a recreational skier this far
back on their skis is in a lot of trouble.  It takes a lot of strength and
athleticism to get out of that position.  The cause of this problem is that
the racer is bent excessively at the knees and waist and bent very little
at the ankles.  This is what you do to sit in a chair and it moves your
hips back.  A key to good skiing is to bend at the ankles and knees _not_
knees and waist.  Some bending at the waist is necessary of course but you
strive for a tall relaxed upper body.  Many recreational skiers are in
boots that are too stiff in forward flex so they can't bend their knees
much without getting thrown into the back seat.  At race speeds they could
perhaps generate enough inertial force to flex forward at the ankles but
most skiers don't want to or can't handle those speeds.  And it doesn't
make sense to use a boot designed for those speeds if you aren't going to
be skiing at those speeds.  I mean no disrespect to the skier in that
picture but it illustrates a point very well.  I also agree completely with
the Ten Commandments given at the site.

2.)  Footbeds:  In my ski career I've had two custom footbeds.  Five years
ago I gave them up in favor of $20 generic footbeds which work just as well
for me.  I have sanded and trimmed them just a little bit.  If you don't
have an unusual foot this may work just as well for you.  It is still
essential to attend to all the other bootfitting issues.  I don't have a
"Lange" foot and it took 7 visits to the shop and the better part of a
season to get those new Langes (see #1) to fit just right.  At the end I
determined my cant and had it ground into the boot soles.  A shop won't do
this unless they know and trust you very well, due to liability issues.  If
you are serious about alpine skiing you must get Witherell and Evrard's
book, "The Athletic Skier".   It is sparely but very well written with lots
of illustrations.  I'll leave it at that rather than add to an already
lengthy post.

3.)  Tele Boots:  Yes, Dana, I did get Raichle Thermoflex liners for my
tele boots and they are great.  I had them fitted for my new T3s.  The
stock liner from Scarpa is very well made, much nicer than any stock alpine
liner I've seen.  But I have large ankle bones and they are a little too
far forward for the boot design.  As a result my ankle bones were just at
the crease point of the shell and at the point where neither the tongue nor
the rest of the liner provided any cushion.  I was really getting torn up
especially on deep teles.  The Thermoflex completely solved the problem and
are lighter, warmer and vastly more comfortable than the stock liner.  They
stick up about 2 inches above the top of the T3 shell so I put a velcro
power strap on them just for neatness.  They also fit fine in my old T1s.
I had pretty much stopped using the T1s because the custom silicone tongue
I got for them was so restrictive I couldn't avoid cold numb feet on cold
days.  I'll pass along two good recomendations that I got from Andrew Carey
on www.telemarque.com.   Get the "dual density" version, and have the shop
use two toe cups when doing the fitting.  You need that extra toe room for
tele so you don't crunch your toes.  You ought to be able to get the
Raichle Thermoflex at any good alpine shop.  I got mine at Ski Center in
Wash., DC.  BTW, Karhu/Merrell was selling a similar thermofitted liner
very cheap (~$25) at the end of last season.  I don't know anybody who has
them but it may be worth checking out.  ALPINE types may want to look into
it too.

4.)  Tele boots as snowboard hard boots:  I also solved my snowboard boot
problem with the T3s.  I ground down that stupid duckbill toe extension as
Russell Rainey recommends, and discovered that the T3s then fit my
snowboard plate bindings.  I didn't have a good boot for those plate
bindings, but the T3s are perfect.  They are soft and flexible enough while
still offering excellent control.  Some people call tele the "Dark Side"
and some reserve the term for snowboarding.  I've got them both covered!

Denis Bogan

[log in to unmask]   NOTE NEW e-mail ADDRESS!!!
Voice;  301-286-1306
FAX;  301-286-0212 - Let me know it's coming.
(Mailing address: Laboratory for Extraterrestrial Physics
Code 691, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD 20771)
http://www-691.gsfc.nasa.gov/personnel/dbogan/dbogan.html