]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  July 1999, Week 5

MEDLIB-L July 1999, Week 5

Electronic vs Print Subscriptions --Summation -- Long

KAREN ALBERT <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:27:55 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Here are messages I received on this -- that were not posted to
the list.  Most libraries have not yet cancelled print, but are thinking
about it. Some have done this for next year to save money
or to satisfy customer demand.  Some are still opposed to cancelling
print in favor of electronic versions.  Thanks to everyone for your
insightful comments.

     ones.  Electronic journals is still too new a phenomenon for us to do
     that.
Yes, the plan is to order ONLY the e-version for those titles we do not
currently receive.  However, if the cost of getting the print along with
the e-version is very low, we may opt to get both.  In the long range we
do expect to drop a substantial portion of our print collection in favor
of electronic.
So far we have not yet subscribed to e-jrnl only.  We are part of a
consortium and each library has certain "committed titles" which will be
kept indefinitely at an offsite storage.  Until the "iffy" archival
situation is resolved, we are hesitated to switch to e-version.

Another point to consider is the routing & ILL vs. copyright law.  I think
the copyright policy come to check upon us is slim, but can happen.  Do we
want to face the risk of possible lawsuit, no matter how slim?

Last is the accessibility.  How many simultaneous users are allowed one
time?  With physical volumes, theoretically, as many people as the number of
issues can be used concurrently.

I can see the virtue of e-journal existing in a highly
keep-it-up-to-date-only type of small library, or have a happy co-existence
with its printed twin in a big and major library.
libraries/libraries, above and beyond the electronic version.  If its no
longer moving off the shelf, I might consider cutting; however, I would
never cut the most common medical journals, say NEJM, Annals, JAMA.
pushing for these as it is embarrassing for me when the researchers and clinicians are
 asking me for them.

I have even written an article entitled "Oncology Journals and the Internet:
a share resource", which will be published in the Cancer Control Journal
later this year.  It is going through peer-review as we speak. But, I wrote
this article as a "back way" to wake up my supervisors!!

With the electronic versions that are free I have them listed on our library
Intranet and the staff love it.   If I  could go with just electronic - I
would as most publishers have till 1997 full text and being a cancer
institute, doctors rarely request articles more than 2 years old.  Cancer
treatment means staying uptodate on or even doing research not done yet for
grant purposes.  So I can understand your reasons and would it agree it
would be feasible to have some journals online only.  However, some journals
have heavy graphics and you need the monitors and printers with the ability
to handle them.  In this case, I find print the logical choice.

I have not yet canceled any print because of several concerns.  First
I've found that publishers providing an electronic keep changing either
format or access rules. Most publishers provided a link to the pdf
format which provided a very good print copy.  Now some not longer
provide that option and do not include cited references at the end of
the article, but on a separate 'page'. Second I believe that the pricing
structure will continue to change and that a point will be reached when
I can no longer afford the electronic version.  Third I am concerned
about archival access despite assurances from publishers that the
content will be available in the future.

The situation is too fluid to risk canceling any print subscription.
Hi Karen,
We have done this. We have all of academic press , elsevier, highwire press,
ovid, karger, adonis, md consult, stat-ref, etc. We have several thousand
available in an electronic mode only. These are delivered via our
authenticated web servers to our registered customers.There are some
limitations on where they can be used for a few titles. Our customers like
having this on their desktop and use it when it is meaningful to them. Yes,
there are problems--archiving,licensing, etc. The success in meeting the
customer on their desktop on their own time far outweighs these problems. I am
glad that we took the risk and have been delighted with the revitalization
that the library has been receiving. We are at work on another project which
folks talk about-virtual reference service for our customers who travel
everywhere in the world and we are shaping it in such a way that it will be
meangiful to the customer. Have we saved money--yes and no; it all depends
upon how you view it. We still have print copies of some titles because that
is how it is sold. We also have the combo pricing because that is how it is
sold. I encourage you to take the risk but to plan out how your going to
implement the process. You will face the question-ok I can use it the lab,
etc. at work but I now want to use it at home or when I travel to Timbuktu.
How are you going to do that without giving out the name and password to the
entire world on the www. Good luck. If you need further encouragement or a
brain to pick, let me know.
have if there was an electronic counterpart.

I find some inconvenience in electronic verisons, and some benefits:

With OVID, we get their Full Text: Core Biomedical Collection (Medline and
16 Fulltext Journals) for $6000 per year for two concurrent licenses--thus,
two users can use OVID at any of our networked computers.  With the full
text however, it is not page image-- like a PDF; the text and images are
separate and the images generally don't fit well into a browser--so
sometimes an external viewer must be used.  On the other hand, we do not
have the money to lock this library down (electroinically) and we are not a
lending library--consequently, things are "borrowed" and not returned.  One
cannot suspend bindery activities for one lousy journal; and, as the years
go by, gaps appear in the collection. Electronic full text subscriptions
eliminate this problem--as they will rarely miss an article, issue, or
volume.

The expense is definitely a consideration.  There are variables that would
have to be examined closely.  For instance, we have a reference desk
subscription to MD Consult.  It is $2500 per year for 45 full text serials,
35 reference works, plus drug updates/FDA information, and some other pretty
bells and whistles.  The residents here love it, and some have individual
subscriptions--which are cheap for residents.  However, the minute you
network this product--that is ONE concurrent user, the cost is $6000 per
year.  If, like OVID, we want two concurrent licenses--$9000, then $12000
and so on.  Such expenses would have to be considered in relation to the
costs associated with print:  subscription, processing, binding, shelving,
theft, copiers, etc.  If the latter sentence were eliminated from our
budget, I am not sure how much we would be saving, v. how much we would then
have to spend.  And then, of course, there is the question of what journals
are available full text online and what dates?

We are fortunate here, in that we are close to a major university with a
medical and research interest (Case Western Reserve University); so, if we
don't have something, generally they do.  So, moving to electronic is not
inconceivable, as the print backups are just down the block.  This is
important when you raise the spector of archiving and what happens when the
server is down or the power is out...  However, for information that is
current, needs to be current, and then is of no archive value (except to
some grey historian or social scientist) to the institution--electronic is
excellent.

For the most part, we are subscribing to databases that provide full text
access to more popular or generally available publications: Pediatrics,
NEJM, JAMA, Lancet, etc.  Things that everyone tends to get and which are
available everywhere online.  Then we eliminate the print subscription.  For
more unique items, or those less likely to be packaged, we retain our print
subscriptions.

Also, networking electronic sources allows for greater ease of access from
anywhere in the hospital, even from home by Remote Access Services.
enough people who for one thing seemed uncomfortable with just that option
that we get both.  For the most part we've stayed with the journals that
give us free online access.  There are a couple others we recently paid for
because I know they're popular.
I agree with about the arbitrariness of the archiving of the journals.  It's
certainly not consistent from one title to another and with at least one
title it's selective.  A researcher recently commented that soon we wouln't
need photocopiers because everything would be on the net.  Dream on!  And
does she want to pay for it?

        We just completed a very labor intensive project to evaluate print/elect
ronic journal duplication.  Specific criteria were applied during the evaluation
.  1)  Content - full/partial/enhanced compared to print.  2)  Timely availabili
ty - when is electronic available online compared to when print is received?  3)
 Archival availability - will title be available electronically into the future?
  Does the publisher have an archival commitment or policy?  Are there mirror
sites for the journal?  4)  Usage statistics
Our goal was to reduce duplication by 1/3 for next year.  At this point
we have not actually cancelled any titles.
have them available (give or take a few of the illustrations) in MD
Consult.  Where a' la carte electronic subs tend to cost more than their
print counterparts, packages like this can be a savings.  I estimated that
I'm saving several thousand dollars by getting these and some 35 key

textbooks this way rather than buying their print counterparts.  I've
also, whenever possible and affordable (i.e., not with _Circulation_),
switched from print to print/electronic subs.

Karen Albert
Fox Chase Cancer Center
Phila., PA 19111
215-728-2711