Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

CRVNET Home

CRVNET  August 1999

CRVNET August 1999

Events at President Calvin Coolidge & Chimney Point State Histori c Sites/Exciting Discovery

Center for research on Vermont list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:06:44 -0400

> Coolidge Dream Author To Speak

Contact: William W. Jenney Regional Historic Site Administrator,

> PLYMOUTH NOTCH, Vt. - "Plymouth Notch was about as small as a place can
> be: half a dozen houses, a church, a store, two huge barns. And a
> visitors= center....@ Thus opens Chapter 11 of John Derbyshire=s novel
> Seeing Calvin Coolidge in a Dream. Mr. Derbyshire will appear at the
> Visitor Center of the President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site, 11
> a.m. - 1 p.m., August 28, 1999.
>
> Derbyshire will give a brief talk, "A Novelist Tackles Coolidge", followed
> by a reading and book signing. The event is free and wheelchair
> accessible. "My book is not actually about President Coolidge. He is
> only a prop -- though I have taken pains to make him a realistic one.
> The book is about other things: love and marriage, freedom and despotism,
> cultural assimilation, remembrance, redemption and the power of words,"
> says Derbyshire.
>
> In 1997 Katherine Powers, critic for the Boston Sunday Globe, praised
> Derbyshire=s book as "one of my absolutely favorite novels." Seeing
> Calvin Coolidge in a Dream is the story of Chai, a Chinese businessman who
> draws "intellectual and spiritual sustenance from a series of thinkers."
> Ms. Powers continues, "As this witty, beautifully written tale begins,
> Chai has just moved on from Dr. [Samuel] Johnson to Calvin Coolidge. What
> follows combines irony and sweetness in equal measure: a perfect tonic for
> the modern soul."
>
> Born in Northampton, England, Derbyshire traveled widely in East Asia and
> worked as a teacher, journalist and computer programmer before taking up
> writing. Mr. Derbyshire currently lives in Huntington, Long Island.
> Seeing Calvin Coolidge in a Dream is the author=s first novel.
>
> The site, birthplace and boyhood home of the 30th President of the United
> States, is open daily, 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. through October 17. It has been
> preserved to be much as it was in Coolidge's time. There are ten
> buildings open to the public: the Coolidge Homestead, Birthplace, general
> store, church, cheese factory, 1924 Summer White House office and the
> Visitors Center.
>
> New this year is the special exhibition, First Pets: The Coolidge White
> House Animals, plus regularly scheduled wagon rides and historic farming
> demonstrations.
>

> Atlatl Workshop at Chimney Point State Historic Site
Contact: Audrey Porsche for more information at 802-759-2412

> ADDISON, Vt. - The atlatl, a pre-historic spear throwing device, has been
> used throughout the world for more than 40,000 years to hunt everything
> from woolly mammoths to ducks. The hunting weapon of choice for natives
> in this area from 6,000 B.C. to A.D. 500, the atlatl is enjoying a modern
> revival.
>
> Workshop leader Robert Berg, a champion atlatlist who has successfully
> used the tool to hunt wild boar, will teach participants to make and use
> their own atlatls. The workshop will be 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., September 17,
> 1999 at Chimney Point State Historic Site. A $50.00 registration fee
> includes materials. Pre-registration is required and class size is
> limited.
>
> Workshop participants will be able to use their completed atlatls in the
> Fourth Annual Northeastern Open Atlatl Championship, on 10:30 a.m. - 4:30
> p.m. Sept. 18 at Chimney Point.
>
> Chimney Point State Historic Site is devoted to telling the story of
> Vermont's Native American and French heritage. Native Americans have used
> the area as a seasonal camp for several thousand years. The French
> fortified the region and established settlements during the 1730s-1750s.
>
> The Chimney Point Museum is housed in an historic tavern building that
> operated as an inn at the turn of the century. Chimney Point is open
> Wednesday - Sunday, 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. It is located by the Champlain
> Bridge at the junction of Routes 17 and 125. Admission is $2.00 for
> adults; children under 15 are admitted for free. For more information
> about this event or other programs at the site, call 802-759-2412.
>

> Important Discovery Made At Coolidge Site
For more information, contact John Dumville at 802-828-3046