]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  August 1999, Week 2

COMMUNET August 1999, Week 2

Re: Townpagesnet.Com To Roll Out British Info Kiosks

David Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 14 Aug 1999 18:28:35 +0000

S. Kritikos wrote:
>Hi, this site looks like a web design company aiming at local govenments.
>Perhaps people from UK have more info

Townpages is at http://www.townpages.org and hasn't been seen as a big
player in local UK online information before (that I've heard anyway...) ,
and kiosks haven't really taken off, so this is interesting - thanks. Yahoo
gave some headlines at http://biz.yahoo.com/n/t/tpn.html including the
statement below.

Regards
David

--------------

"Free for All" Townpages Announces $31.4 Million Deal for NCR to Build and
Maintain 3,500 Kiosks Allowing Broad On-line Information Access by UK
Residents

ALTON, England,--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 13, 1999-- TownpagesNet.com plc
today announced a landmark agreement with NCR Limited, a unit of NCR for
the manufacturing, installation and co-marketing of free on-line
Internet-driven kiosks.

Since TownPagesNet.com's initial public offering, the Company has
concentrated on creating the infrastructure to enable the efficient
roll-out of 3,500 Internet-driven kiosks as a key element of their overall
online strategy. The kiosks will offer broad access to on-line information
by UK residents. Currently approximately 18% of the UK population is hooked
up to the Internet.

TownPages has commissioned NCR Limited to build and maintain TownPages'
national network of 3,500 kiosks. The agreement also contains an exclusive
co-marketing arrangement between TownPages and NCR Limited. The kiosks will
become a regular feature of major towns and cities across the UK, creating
the first on-line grid that delivers free information around the clock in
public access locations.
Andrew Lyndon-Skeggs, Managing Director of TownPages, commented, ``This
deal follows the recent announcement by Photo Me plc (LSE: PHTM) in
conjunction with British Telecom plc (LSE: BT/A) that they plan to install
internet facilities in 1,000 of their Passport Photo Booths. Unlike Photo
Me, however, we do nor charge users for accessing our service.''

``Our new relationship with NCR is a vital component in our company's
overall strategy to be the UK's leading provider of free on-line
information for everyone'', continued Andrew Lyndon-Skeggs. ``In order to
deliver on a large-scale project, it was critical that we enter into a
partnership with an organization that has impeccable credentials. NCR is
such a company.''

``The Partnership between ourselves and NCR marks a significant milestone
in the on-going development of UK providers of on-line information.
Together, I am confident that we will create a network that delivers
unrivalled geographical coverage and an exceptional range of services.''
NCR, a leader in on-line kiosk and Automated Tell Machine (ATM) technology,
will manufacture the kiosks at one of its sites in Dundee, Scotland. Based
on easy-to-use touch screen technology, the kiosks will, in the near
future, boast print facilities and credit card readers - in preparation for
the introduction of additional TownPages e-commerce services.

``We have chosen NCR because it is a major player on both the national and
international stage'', added Andrew Lyndon-Skeggs. ``With NCR pool of
skills and resources at our disposal, we know we will have a stable and
robust platform for our kiosk network.''

Dan Harrington, NCR Vice President for Northern Europe, echoed Mr.
Lynden-Skeggs comments: ``We are very excited to be working with TownPages
on this project'', he said. It offers us the opportunity to shown our
strengths as a one-stop shop that has significant design capabilities and
full maintenance programs.``

The agreement with NCR is the fourth major deal signed by TownPages in the
last month. The Company Recently acquired leading Internet company
WWW.CO.UK Ltd. (www,cinemas-on-line.com) and has signed letters of intent
to acquire Morbria Ltd. (www.graphicpalette.co.uk) and Bowden Publishing
(www.buyersguide.co.uk).

TownPages offers local and national information through its Internet
website (www.TownPages.co.uk) and its fast-growing network of free-access
public information kiosks. The extensive content provides detailed
information on 1,300 UK towns and cities.

The town-by-town information includes, in depth community information
provided by local authorities, news and events, tourist attractions,
hotels, restaurants, public transport timetables, entertainment listings,
sport, weather, business and professional services, and more. TownPages
plans to introduce other interactive services, such as free e-mail over the
coming months.

Surfers can also tap into TownPages' ever-expanding range of national
channels to access in-depth information on a particular topic as well as
e-commerce capabilities. Current national services include, among others,
cars, property listings and a job search facility. TownPages is currently
developing an education channel and an equestrian channel, both of which
are scheduled for launching in the fall. Other channels to follow include
shopping, travel, health, heritage, sport and more.

TownPages encourages loyalty to these channels by incorporating familiar
user feature across the range, together with interactive features, such as
expert advice on particular topics, chat rooms, message boards and other
services.

``Safe Harbor'' statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform
Act of 1995: This release contains forward-looking statements that are
subject to risks and uncertainties, including, but not limited to, the
impact of competitive products and pricing, product demand and market
acceptance, reliance on key strategic alliances, fluctuations in operating
results and other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's filings
with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

---------------

At 10:41 am -0500 14/8/99, S. Kritikos wrote:
>Hi, this site looks like a web design company aiming at local govenments.
>Perhaps people from UK have more info
>
>sk
>
>-----------------------------
>Saturday August 14 1:32 AM ET
>
>Townpagesnet.Com To Roll Out British Info Kiosks
>
>LONDON (Reuters) - British Web company TownpagesNet.com Plc
>said Friday it plans to spend $31.4 million to build and
>install a network of 3,500 online information kiosks around
>the country.
>
>Townpages.Net said it agreed to pay the sum to a unit of
>U.S. group NCR Corp (NYSE:NCR - news) as part of a
>three-year contract to build, install and maintain the
>kiosks in some 1,300 towns and cities in Britain.
>
>The kiosks will offer people national and local online
>information accessible at areas such as supermarkets, train
>stations, and airports.
>
>The company currently has 28 kiosks operating mainly
>concentrated around its base in Alton, southern England.

David Wilcox, [log in to unmask] +44 (0) 1273 677377
Partnerships Online http://www.partnerships.org.uk
The Community Channel http://www.communitychannel.org.uk.