UVMFLOWNET Archives

September 1999

UVMFLOWNET@LIST.UVM.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
UVM Flownet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:14:51 -0400
7bit
From:
"Victoria A. Valentine" <[log in to unmask]>
Paul Cardullo wrote:

>> the key seems to be the motivation and interest of the person performing the
> diagnostic studies.  some enjoy the opportunity to practice in multiple
> specialities; others enjoy specializing in one particular area.  i find that
> problems with quality occur when facilities take a "blanket" approach to
> cross training.  filling staffing slots takes precedence; everyone is forced
> to do everything, regardless of interest/level of training/expertise.  this
> approach sacrifices quality for quantity.

Paul,
     Would you like to fly to Pittsburgh, and talk to my bosses for
me???  I have been trying to convince them of those exact things.
Unfortunately, its a no go.  Cross-training is the buzzword of the day,
whether the persons being cross-trained have the desire for it or not.
I'm sorry, but if a person is being forced into doing something for
which they have no interst, I can't imagine that they will do the same
type of job that they would do in the area in which they have the
desire.  Is that the kind of person I would like to have doing my exam,
hardly.  As an administrator, is that the person I would like to have in
a department where a poor exam can lead to a lawsuit, definately not!
Vickie