LISTSERV Archives

FSCP-SIG Home

FSCP-SIG  October 1999

FSCP-SIG October 1999

Re: Parent Involvement in Teacher Ed

Mary Sue Ammon <[log in to unmask]>

Family, School, Community Partnerships SIG

Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:49:01 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

For those of you who may have missed an earlier post, there are two
relatively recent documents that I and a number of others in California
worked on which may be of interest to those in other states.

The first is the Report of the Advisory Task Force on Teacher Prep. for
Parent Involvement ("Preparing educators for partnerships with
families")

The second is a set of case reports done by teacher
educators in California about their efforts to incorporate preparation for
parent involvement into their teacher ed.  programs--It is titled,
"Joining Hands: Preparing teachers to make meaningful home-school
connections."  Both may be obtained from the California Dept. of
Education.

As an update, earlier this year I made a presentation (based on the
work that went into these two publications) to the SB 2042 Panel
who will be developing new standards of quality and effectiveness for
Level 1 and Level II Multiple and Single Subject Credential programs and
who will be providing input to an assessment task force developing a new
teacher performance assessment.  The work of the 2042 Panel is due to
be completed in Dec 1999, so I am looking forward to seeing what aspects
of preparation for parent involvement actually get into the wording of
the standards.  I'll let this list know when I hear.

Mary Sue

Mary Sue Ammon, Ph.D.
Staff Research Associate
Service-Learning Research & Development Center
615 CC University Hall  #1040
University of California, Berkeley 94720-1040
(510) 643-7364   FAX: (510) 642-6105