SKIVT-L October 1999, Week 3

Re: MASH advice wanted

Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Oct 1999 16:32:13 -0400

>From:    Jim & Shirley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MASH advice wanted
>
>My ski partner, Greg, is planning to take a month long vacation in
>February and slowly travel down the Eastern US to eventually visit some
>in-law relatives in Tennessee.  He plans on taking his skis and would
>like to experience as much new and different skiing as possible.  He has
>asked me to contact anyone or any source to find out where the most
>interesting and especially demanding ski slopes are anywhere along the
>route.  He says he will be flexible and travel almost any route from
>this neck of the woods in Northern NY to his ultimate destination in
>Tennessee. (I don't know exactly where in Tennessee.)  If there is

If he really means to take a month and explore, that is an interesting
proposition.  I've read ahead here using the archives and Rich Ramsden has
a point when he says why not spend most of the month in VT then head south.
 I can't disagree, but it depends on what you want, if you don't explore
you don't find anything new.  I'll tell you what I would do and warn you
that I'm hopelessly prejudiced; I like steeps, trees, bumps, and don't like
flat, boring, crowded (especially crowds of bad skiers).  As you might
guess there aren't a lot of places I like in MASH, but I'll try to clue you
in on the major spots anyhow.

First, I'd spend about 2 weeks of the month in NY, starting with a couple
days at Whiteface.  I'd also try to hook up with locals and do some of the
great XC and/or backcountry in the area.  Start by asking questions at High
Peaks Cyclery in Lake Placid.  Then I'd head south and stop for a day at
Gore and maybe Garnet Hill for XC.  I am intrigued by reports on this forum
of Hickory in Warrensburg (just South of Gore).  I've seen it from Rt. 9
and it indeed looks steep.  I believe it's open only on weekends.  On Mon.
head down to Hunter, a steep, ledgy big-feeling mountain that can be really
first class when snow is good and crowds are missing, i.e. weekdays.  I've
had a couple great midweek powder days there.  The west side bump runs are
better than any of Killington's bump runs IMHO.  K-27 on the front side is
much better than that and a far bigger challenge than anything at K if you
enter from the highest or second control gates.  (It's rarely open.)  (I am
not a zipper line kind of bump skier, I like gnarly bumps, double fall
lines and other masochistic stuff.)  If management were amenable Hunter
could support MRG type glades.  The possibilities are there but given their
skier profile I don't blame them for not doing it.  I believe there is some
excellent backcountry in the Catskills but it is known only to a small
quiet group and I'm not one of them.

Once south of NY pickings get pretty slim.  Elk Mtn. in the far NE of PA is
supposed to be decent, I haven't been there (it's almost as far for me as
Hunter).  In fact the only place in the Poconos I have skied is Camelback,
once, twenty years ago and I'll never go again.  It is widely regarded as
the best of the Poconos other than Elk, and possibly Blue Mtn.  IMNSHO it
is flat, boring, overcrowded, and full of dismal and often rude skiers.
The same applies to Seven Springs in western PA, a place that is wildly
popular with DC area skiers because of it's amenities, = lots of mindless
off slope diversions.  I have never understood the Seven Springs
phenomenon.  Whitetail PA just 1.5 hrs. north of DC is better than the
aforementioned two but still a pretty mellow hill with an unfortunate
southern exposure.  They have a couple of runs that although not steep can
get heavily bumped by the large skier numbers.  These runs in early spring
are the best skiing WT offers.  Facilities are new and first class.

The real jewel of PA is Blue Knob.  Get off the PA turnpike at Bedford and
ask the toll booth money collector for a copy of the printed directions.
It's about 25 miles through countryside that would have made a good setting
for Coal Miner's Daughter.  BK is an old state park, highly
undercapitalized with poor snowmaking capacity and an old nike missle base
blockhouse for a summit lodge.  Locals swear it's the coldest windiest
place on earth but they haven't been to VT.  What they do have is terrain,
the only honest expert terrain south of the NY/PA border, again IMNSHO.
The top bump run, Extrovert, is 2/3 the length of K's Outer Limits and
every bit it's equal.  It faces north, holds snow, and they put every gun
they have on it and build up 10 ft. or more of base starting about Feb. 1.
Wait til the day's high for DC is predicted to be 55 or 60, then go.  On
such days, guys with thunder thighs, ripped & duct taped clothes, and
awesome ski styles come out of the woodwork.  They are connected by a
nation wide telepathic network and can beam themselves to the right place
at the right time.  No other run and no other hill in MASH plays host to
this phenomenon but I've seen it many times at Extrovert.  BK has a half
dozen good glades and steep, narrow, funky natural snow trails.  I have a
BK story in First Tracks.

Someone mentioned a place in far northern PA that I've never heard of, and
claimed it has the steepest run anywhere.  I am _HIGHLY_ skeptical.  I have
lived here for 25 years and make it my business to know where the steep
stuff is.  I have despaired that anybody else in MASH will dare to open
another Extrovert; every few years someone makes a bold claim, but it never
measures up.  For the most part people in MASH have no idea what steep is.
I would absolutely _LOVE_ to be proven wrong about this.  Please send me
directions to this place.

After leaving PA head SW on I-81 and take a few excursions west into WV.
Davis WV, in the Canaan Valley has 2 downhill areas, Timberline and Canaan
Valley, and 3 XC/BC areas, Whitegrass, Canaan Valley state Park &
Blackwater Falls state park in close proximity.  This is a skier's area,
see my Whitegrass story in First Tracks.  Snowshoe is a tourist's area and
suffers from 3 big negatives - overcrowded, flat, overpriced.  It is
nevertheless, the "Ski Capital of the South" and to do a complete tour of
this area you should experience it.  Further south Beech Mtn. and Sugar
Mtn. are the major areas of NC, and there are at least half a dozen lesser
areas.  With natural snow they are probably worth a look.  I'd be tempted
again to go into the backcountry, particularly the "Balds" on the higher
peaks of the Smokies and Blue Ridge.  Check back in the archives on the
recent Base Elevations thread.  I looked at the Gatlinberg TN hill in the
fall 25 years ago.  I'd do it for the novelty, not for the skiing.