]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  November 1999, Week 4

COMMUNET November 1999, Week 4

Nursing home residents finding 'window to life' through e-mail, Internet

John Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:58:14 -0500

The CSS Internet News (tm) is a daily e-mail publication that
has been providing up to date information to Netizens since 1996.
Subscription information is available at:

http://www.bestnet.org/~jwalker/inews.htm

or send an e-mail to [log in to unmask] with

SUBINFO CSSINEWS in the SUBJECT line.

The following is an excerpt from the CSS Internet News. If you are
going to pass this along to other Netizens please ensure that the
complete message is forwarded with all attributes intact.

NOTE: Registrations for the On-line Learning Series of Courses
for December '99 are now being accepted. Information is available at:

http://www.bestnet.org/~jwalker/course.htm

------------

Nursing home residents finding 'window to life' through e-mail, Internet
(US)

Copyright  1999 Nando Media Copyright  1999 Associated
Press By DAVID CRARY
http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500060172-500099349-50
0409193-0,00.html SAN FRANCISCO (November 21, 1999 9:18 p.m. EST
http://www.nandotimes.com ) -

Is the fountain of youth available at the click of a mouse? Experts
say nursing home residents, even the frail ones, take to computers
quickly and can revitalize their lives through e-mail and the
Internet.

"The Internet is a window to life," said David Lansdale, a
geriatrics expert from Stanford University. "It's an elixir for these
people."

Lansdale, who believes every nursing home should be equipped with
communal e-mail and Internet access, is one of several academics
raising the issue here at a weekend meeting of the Gerontological
Society of America.

Lansdale said mastery of e-mail and Internet techniques can help
overcome what he termed the four plagues of institutionalized
elders: loneliness, boredom, helplessness and decline of mental
skills.

"The end result is we want to promote relationships," he said.
"Getting connected is bringing people back to life."

He directs a program called LinkingAges that teaches nursing home
residents how to communicate with faraway family, old friends and
health care providers by using e-mail. The 12-week course ends with
a graduation ceremony, and encourages participants to share the
e-mail they receive from relatives.

Lansdale told of a woman in her 90s who mastered the lessons and got
a message from a granddaughter that said: "Dear Grandma, I can't
believe you just sent me e-mail. You're the coolest grandma in
California."

Group dynamics of a nursing home can improve the program's success.
One resident might exclaim, "Hey, I can do this," and other
residents will be emboldened to make the effort themselves - he said
in a presentation Saturday.

People who master the technology gain confidence that spreads into
other aspects of their lives, and many take pride in helping teach
the skills to their fellow residents, he said.

"You have opened up the heavens to me," Lansdale said he was told by
one resident who must use a wheelchair.

Douglas McConatha, a sociologist from West Chester University in
Pennsylvania, said he observed improved morale and a noticeable drop
in depression among nursing home residents who received Internet
training as part of a study he conducted.

"It took maybe two training sessions," he said. "You turn them loose
in this environment, and a large portion of them flourish. They
learned so fast they outpaced the 20-year-old college students
learning with them."

McConatha advocated expanded online education programs aimed at
attracting retirees both as students and as instructors.

He described one such program, called Circle of Learning, that
encourages elderly people to offer courses based on their lifetime
experience, on topics ranging from personal finance to hobbies. One
man is teaching a course about his Italian grandmother, McConatha
said.

"We can now capture the knowledge of our elders and transfer that
wisdom to future generations," McConatha said.

Only 25 percent of Americans over age 60 own a computer, compared
with 50 percent for the rest of the population, according to research
by Microsoft and the American Society on Aging.

One of the keys for expanding Internet use by the elderly is to make
equipment and Web sites more accessible to them, Lansdale said.
Among changes needed are increased print size on some Web sites and
easier-to-use keyboards.

--------------

Also in this issue:

- UK Net Bill Passes Hurdle (UK)
    LONDON -- Contentious proposals to give authorities the power to
    demand decryption keys from would-be cyber-criminals have been
    dropped from the UK's electronic communications bill, published
    Friday by the Department of Trade and Industry.
- Lawsuit threatened (Canada)
    A Web site showing pictures of Calgary Herald replacement workers
    has the broadsheet's editor-in-chief concerned and at least one
    worker considering legal action.
- Nursing home residents finding 'window to life' through e-mail,
  Internet (US)
    Is the fountain of youth available at the click of a mouse? Experts
    say nursing home residents, even the frail ones, take to computers
    quickly and can revitalize their lives through e-mail and the
    Internet.
- Internet watchdog could stop collegiate copycats (US)
    BERKELEY, California (CNN) -- Academic thieves beware. While the
    Internet has placed a wealth of research papers at the fingertips of
    students, a new Web site could help professors catch plagiarizers
    red-handed.
- Talking Turkey on the Net (US)
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Looking for last-minute tips on preparing the
    perfect Thanksgiving meal? The Internet's bounty of information is
    another thing to be thankful for.
- When people get caught in the Web (US)
    For Arline Tripp, it all started with the death of a close friend.
- As crime goes cyber, police follow (US)
    Crime on the Internet is proliferating, forcing police to beef up
    their still-tiny e-crime staffs - and technical savvy.
- How I spent 5 days online - and lived (but only just) (Canada)
    For five days, Star reporter Robert Cribb must get everything he
    needs - food, information, social contact - without leaving his
    apartment.
    I never left home, everything was done by computer
- Cult of the cloth (US)
    I thought I could quit any time, but the ladies of the Diapering
    Board had me in their thrall.
- New Lists and Journals
    * NEW: International Fine Arts Discussion
    * NEW: Child's death?
    * NEW: C++

On-line Learning Series of Courses
http://www.bestnet.org/~jwalker/course.htm

Member: Association for International Business