SKIVT-L November 1999, Week 5

Re: Tahoe or Bust!!

Tom Moore <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Nov 1999 06:55:08 -0800

Hey All,

Mike Lefrancois wrote:

> I'm picking up my belongings and moving out to Truckee in only 3 weeks!!!!
Sorry but I beat cha by three weeks. Worse part by far was the packing.
Worst part by far was after putting everything in storage and then packing
my car, realizing that I didn't have enough space in the car.

> I know no-one who lives on the way, so I'm gonna take the most
> direct route as possible.
Your loss, IMHO, if you do the direct route if the weather is good.

> anyone know of any roads that may be closed, or any other surprises that I
might find????
Let me tell ya of my route which might help. My original plan was to take
either I90 straight out of Bahston or go down to US6 in northern PA and
meander across the Midwest. I got detoured to Philly, a.k.a. MASH, but then
joined up with 90 in Ohio. Be thee fair warned that from Syracuse to western
Cleveland you are in lake effect snow country. A gentle breeze off the lake
and you're being dumped on. 12" storms are a twice to five times a year
events. There's also another little snowbelt around South Bend, Indiana.
Some truck traffic on I90 going through MA, NY, and PA, and OH before
Cleveland.

Once I90 and I80 become one just west of Cleveland and remain one until
Chicago, be prepared for big time truck traffic. One thing I did find in my
drive is that the trucks do have a speed limit that is 5 to 10 mph less than
cars so you can't hide behind them in your speeding games. Also you will
find the right hand lane wall to wall trucks for a 1/4 mile as you pass
them.

No big decision as what to do between Chicago and western Nebraska. I90. No
hints, suggestions, etc. except not to buy your gas in the immediate Chicago
area. Cook county charges some high taxes which means that regular gas is
$1.55/gallon. One thing to note once you get into Iowa and that some of the
exit ramps have big gates on them as does the interstate. Welcome to the
land of ground blizzards. It is not uncommon for the authorities to close
the interstates to anyone. Not much of a big deal for the truck drivers as
they can sleep in their cabs. Can be a big deal for you if you have to try
to get a room in the one hotel in town who's rates have just gone up.

Though I haven't been in southern Wyoming and would like to see the terrain,
geography, geology, etc., I got on I76 down to Denver partially because I
knew the weather was reasonable and what ever light snow I did encounter I
could handle with my Audi Quattro. If there was a snow storm in the Colorado
Rockies, I would have stayed on I80 all the way to Truckee, CA. About 40-60
miles out of Denver you realize that the clouds on the horizon aren't clouds
but mountains. Found the typical number of western clueless drivers driving
the speed limit or just under in the left lane in Denver. Oh well.

Part of my reason for the detour down to CO was to see some of the ski areas
and if they had snow, get some runs in. Unfortunately after seeing the
amount of snow the areas didn't have, I didn't have to unpack my boots. Hurt
my soul to see A-Basin with just enough snow to cover the ground. The snow
guns were blowing at McSkiing West, a.k.a. Keystone, with a fair number of
cars turning in there. Oh well get your fix where and when you can.

Besides the skiing, the was a more compelling reason to go through Colorado:
the best pecan rolls/sticky buns that I have ever encountered. A bakery
called Butterhorn I believe which is on Main Street in downtown Frisco - the
right hand side of the road as you come off I70. :-g Another reason for the
Colorado segment is a stop at Glenwood Springs for their hot springs - open
to the public.

If there's snow in Colorado, you'll pass directly by Loveland, Copper, Vail,
Arrowhead, and Beavercreek. "Pass directly by" meaning that if you hook an
edge of the bottom of the mountain, you may end up some semi's grill. You'll
also be within an hour's drive of Winter Park, A-Basin, Breckenridge, Aspen,
Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk/Tiehack, Snowmass, Sunlight, and Powderhorn.

I continued on I70 through Colorado and half way into Utah. Got off the
interstate and found myself on US50 which has been proclaimed the loneliest
highway in America. I road my bike cross country in '98 and the tour company
took us on I80 through Nevada so I had no desire to see I80 so soon when
there was unseen territory on US50. If you don't take US50, you can take US6
up from Green River to Provo and join up with I80 in SLC. Of course SLC has
Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Park City, Deer Valley, and the Canyons
among others to choose from. Both I80 and US50 have passes in Nevada that
you will have to deal with. I80 of course is going to get more attention in
a storm.

Hope you have AWD/4WD. When I realized that I was going to make the move out
here, I bought an AWD car as chains are to much of a pain in the ass. Here
in CA, there are three restrictions types:

1) Snow tires or chains required - very light condition and rarely seen.
2) Chains required or AWD/4WD with snow tires and carrying chains required -
typical restriction that can be in place for days on end here in Tahoe. :-)
3) Chains required for everyone - rarely seen as it occurs when CALTRAN has
goofed up and they are going to close the pass anyway and are just getting
people off the road

I've noticed that the locals just drive AWD/4WD and don't mess with the
chains. I'm going to buy chains but expect to keep them in their little
vinyl carrying case.

One comment about speeds going cross country. With the help of my radar
detector that rarely went off (less than 15 times for the entire drive), I
kept the speedometer pegged at 80 except around urban areas where I had to
deal with more traffic. Believe the speed limit up to Iowa was 65 or 70.
Nebraska on was 75. Because of the large luggage rack and skis on top of my
car, I didn't see any reason to drive faster than 80.

One hint as a boredom saviour: check out the Cracker Barrel. Definitely not
for the food which is the best reminder of elementary school cafeterias but
for their books on tape. You have to buy the tape - put it on your credit
card. When you are done listening to it, return it to *any* Cracker barrel
for your purchase price minus a $3/week rental fee. Though most of the
selections are only four tapes long (six hours at most), makes the miles go
by quickly. They are on the web at: http://www.crackerbarrel.com I believe.
There are a couple in the Bahston area but think the next one going west is
around Syracuse. Last ones going west are around SLC.

Drop me a line with any questions you may have.

Safari Salama (Swahili for "have a good trip"),
~Tom

Where in Truckee, we are supposed to receive between 3-6" today. Definitely
not enough to get excited about but enough to cover up the rocks so you
don't know until it is to late. Oh well.

Friend skied Squaw yesterday for two runs (the advantages of a pass). 70 mph
winds with one run open due to the winds. Even if it wasn't windy, there
wasn't going to be much open. Last year: 2-3' of snow. This year, the back
side of the rocks are showing up quite nicely.