]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  December 1999, Week 1

MEDLIB-L December 1999, Week 1

A vote in favor of centralized purchases for books and journals

Gluck Jeannine <[log in to unmask]>

Gluck Jeannine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:30:01 -0500

My library handles centralized renewals. There are several benefits:

We transferred all subscriptions to our journal vendor. In the first year,
we eliminated 120 purchase orders, ("...and every one of them was a bloody
mess," the people in Purchasing said) which endeared us tremendously to the
Purchasing Dept. This relationship has paid off in many ways over the years.
Now, there's about 200 dept. subscriptions, somewhat more than that for the
library itself.

The library knows what the departments have, so we can usually retrieve an
issue when someone else needs it. (I guess our staff is a bit more
understanding of the meaning of sharing than some.) We spent time drilling
this into them. We pointed out that the items were the property of the
hospital, not individuals, so please don't take them home and store them in
your basement. This means faster turnaround time for getting articles, when
they are available inhouse, and less money spent on ILL's.

Although it is clear that I do not have authority to determine how another
department spends its money, I have been successful in getting some
duplication eliminated by talking to the individuals involved. In one recent
case, there was a journal which was held only in two offsite locations. I
talked them both into giving these up in favor of a single subscription to
be kept in the library. So, now it's more accessible to the larger group of
users. The savings from this have helped in our relations with
administration. They feel, in general, that their money is being spent more
wisely--we're freeing up money from elimination of duplication which can
then be used to purchase other resources.

The library clerk and volunteer work together once a week to check in all
the issues received, (on Professional Software's Serials Control System) so
we can impose some order on the system, and know what needs to be claimed.

Some confusion is eliminated--the dept staff know that they can throw away
all those renewal notices, so they're not responding to the same journal
multiple times. Also, when someone is considering whether to begin a new
subscription, they know who to call to see if someone else in the hospital
already subscribes. Dept. staff know that we are saving them time (which
they desperately need) and potentially, their money (which is just as
crucial.)

Because of our track record in managing subscriptions well, two departments
asked us to begin managing their dept collection, because they knew full
well how disorganized it was under their management. The money from the line
item for subscriptions was transferred to my budget, so now I have more of a
voice in what is ordered for those depts. I can match their collections more
closely to what the users need.

We also handle centralized ordering of books. In addition to the above
benefits, we get the library discount from our book vendor, and we can
catalog those items in the online catalog. We also put some of them on
continuations order, so nobody has to remember to order them each year.

For both books and journals, we send a memo to Accounting once or twice per
year to reallocate the expenses to the individual depts. If the dept hasn't
budgeted sufficient funds, it's their problem, not mine.

Yes, we do have problems. Some individuals interfere with the system, and
there is one who always brings confusion to whatever we try to do. The mail
person doesn't like having to deliver things once to us, again to the dept
we send them out to. But all in all, I recommend centralized subscriptions
and book purchasing.

--Jeannine Gluck

Jeannine Cyr Gluck                    [log in to unmask]

Director of the Medical Library              Phone (860)647-6853

Eastern Connecticut Health Network        Fax (860)647-6443

71 Haynes Street
Manchester, CT 06040