]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  December 1999, Week 3

COMMUNET December 1999, Week 3

Re: White House E-Gov E-Society Docs and Comment

Vigdor Schreibman <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Dec 1999 21:35:31 -0500

White House propsals for E-Government and E-Society,
joined by the suggestions for a "Democratic Online
Commission" by Steven Clift (below), implicitly
seek no more that an instrumental strategy to
continue and intesify the status quo.  They use the
word "democracy" but evade a definition that may
lend meaning to the proposals offered.

Without an explicit definition of where we are going
-- this ill-defined "democracy" cannot possibly show
what our desired destination is or a viable strategy
by which to get there. Can we agree at least on this?

Voting, representation, and communications do
not define democracy.  The core problem is one
of settling the kind of relatedness that
Americans desire to achieve, for example, we may
define our relatedness by the ethic of capitalist
marketability vesus democratic sustainability!

There are three possibilities by which to settle
the kind of relatedness we desire, viz, domination,
compromise, and integration.

The establshment of new structures for domination,
whether via Internet or any other other form of
communications, can yield only more of the "incipient
Greek tyrants longing to give us of their best tyranny."

Compromise about democracy is no democracy, when this
can lead only to "balanced" but unintegrated decisions,
which destroy the "psychic" coherence of the group and
fails to create an inclusive purpose.

Integration is our only hope for democracy, I believe,
if what is desired is relatedness that is associated
with collective meaning.  This democracy would yield
"a genuine union of true individuals"!

I address some of these issues in my latest News Column,

        The meaning of "democracy" & Seattle99 (Dec 1999)
        http://sunsite.utk.edu/FINS/News_Columns/Fins-NC7-11.html

Vigdor