LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  December 1999, Week 3

COMMUNET December 1999, Week 3

The Ghosts of Internet Time

Andy Oram <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:56:12 -0500

Here is my Christmas present for everyone on this list.
(Sorry about cross-posts.) I hope it provides some
inspiration for the new century.

Andy

http://webreview.com/wr/pub/1999/12/17/platform/index.html

                                                  [64]Platform Independent

The Ghosts of Internet Time

   by [65]Andy Oram
   Dec. 17, 1999

   In the murky light of dawn I was bestirred by a sound I had not heard
   for a long, long time. Groggily stumbling toward the piercing beep, I
   exclaimed, "Why, it's the old Unix talk program! That strange little
   full screen utility--discussed by Douglas Hofstadter in Metamagical
   Themas--that prefigured chat and instant messaging." In response to the
   letters flashing on the green monitor, I quickly entered "talk ghost" and
   pressed the RETURN key.

   "This is the Ghost of Internet Past," wrote my mysterious
   correspondent. "NSA, poppy, Castro. I shall show you the Internet in
   its glorious early days. Tools were clunky back then, but we all
   studied a bit and learned to understand the medium we were using; and
   such a wonderful community we built online!"

   I remembered what the ghost was talking about. True, 99% of all
   newsgroups degenerated into philosophical spats between leftists and
   libertarians, and three-quarters of all the alerts circulated had been
   hoaxes, but we still exploited the incredible power of instant
   worldwide diffusion to carry out some impressive campaigns. Lotus was a
   pretty big company when an Internet protest made it withdraw its
   database product on consumer spending.

   "Look, Andy, you were more idealistic then too," admonished the ghost.
   "It's been years since you contributed to free software projects. Look
   at the dates on these files." A stream of file names, dates, and sizes
   dribbled down my screen.

   I squinted at the vaguely familiar output format. "Yeah, those dates
   are old. Where did you dig up that list?"

   "Archie," typed the ghost.

   "Oh, Ghost," I hammered out. "What has happened to the flame of the
   Internet community? Why do so few of the new users understand it?"

   "What do you expect once ANS took over the backbone?" spat out the
   ghost. "Canter and Siegel, eye candy, streaming media."

   "But mere commercial usage isn't bad," I replied. "When people trust a
   medium enough to put the very stuff of which life is made there, it has
   come of age. Non-profit organizations can be self-seeking information
   hoarders just as much as for-profit organizations."

   "Damned private-sector hegemony--"

   "Humbug. I've heard that all before; you're putting me to sleep," I
   typed, and as if to lend credence to that statement, fell into
   unconsciousness once again.

   Next I was awakened to a furious rush of talk. It was as if someone had
   started several dozen RealPlayer streams at once. The babble of many
   contributors crowded out all hope of understanding. "Can anyone make
   sense of this!" I cried.

   Coming to my rescue, a voice rose above the rest. "Welcome to the
   debates over Internet policy. As the Ghost of Internet Present, I have
   to follow them all."

   "What on earth are they talking about?" I demanded.

   "Do you mean: what do they claim to be talking about, or what are they
   really talking about?"

   "Both, I guess," I answered, nonplussed.

   "Well," explained the ghost, "they think they are talking about which
   of the old regulatory models to apply to a revolutionary new space."

   "Sounds pretty pointless."

   "And that's why so few bother to listen. But really what they're
   talking about is bandwidth."

   "Yeah, I heard of that--won't dark fiber solve everything?"

   "That's a 90s panacea," interrupted the ghost scornfully. "The current
   fad is packet radio. But I was not talking about physical bandwidth at
   all. I was referring to control. Who has the power to use the Internet?
   Will it have job postings for the underprivileged or only stock quotes
   for the affluent? Can communities grow up spontaneously around great
   works of creative art or must they pay a middleman? Should
   taxpayer-funded research be sold for hundreds of dollars a document or
   made freely available to all? Who can be reached simply by requesting a
   name--big corporations or small voices?"

   "For goodness' sake," I exclaimed, "why don't people talk about the
   issues that way!"

   "A few try," replied the ghost, "but as soon as you start looking
   closely at the legal, social, and implementation implications, the
   answers get so--well, technical."

   I wanted to ask more, but my ghost said, "The present is fleeting. I
   must depart; the Ghost of Internet Future will be here in my stead."

   Excitement seized me. "Oh Ghost of Internet Future," I cried, "show me
   what glories the medium has still to offer!"

   Someone grasped my arm and dragged me running through mazes of
   clattering streets under gray skies, where no creature tread and no
   breeze stirred. "Where is the Internet Future?" I yelled. "Where did
   everybody go?"

   "The Internet is gone," said my companion, stooped and hoary.

   "How could that be--what could replace its bounty?"

   "The international financial institutions have a proprietary
   satellite-based network, imposing and impenetrable. The entertainment
   companies put out 6500 programs a week, all strictly metered by
   kilobyte and filtered to isolate controversial content. The electric
   companies--which always controlled the ultimate pipe, and therefore
   ended up controlling the medium--run the network that activates devices
   in the home. Everything the vendors want is built into powerful
   circuits costing a thousandth of a penny, making software and the
   culture that accompanied it obsolete. So there are many separate
   networks, each specialized and tightly controlled."

   "But what about democracy? What about a public space? Is there no forum
   for the average citizen?"

   The old Ghost's wrinkled face cracked in a sputtering, hollow laugh.
   "Forum? You want a forum? I'll give you a million of 'em. Every time
   Consolidated Services, Inc. or Scanditek puts up a new item on their
   media outlets, they leave a space for viewers to post reactions. And
   they post, and post, and post. Nobody can track the debates..."

   "They forgot," I sighed. "People forgot that the Internet enables
   discussion and community; they acquiesced to an overly rationalistic
   and impersonal approach that fragmented protocols and media in such a
   way as to remove the human element. What can I do to prevent this,
   Ghost? Tell me what to do when I return to my present life!"

   But mists swept over the scene and the hand of the Ghost of Internet
   Future slipped invisibly from mine. "I am fading," it whispered. "The
   Internet is gone..."

   And so I awoke, but I lay with eyes closed and addressed my three
   Ghosts in my thoughts: "I promise I will learn the lessons you taught
   tonight!

   "Ghost of Internet Past, I promise I will learn about the technologies
   that affect my life so that I can control them.

   "Ghost of Internet Present, I will talk to ordinary people about the
   everyday issues that are effected by Internet politics. And I'll use
   the information I get to fight real problems: racism, income gaps, war,
   ecological devastation.

   "Finally, Ghost of Internet Future, I will always insist that the
   Internet is more than a means of transmitting data--it is a place for
   building community."

   And the day was still just dawning.