COMMUNET December 1999, Week 3

White House E-Gov E-Society Docs and Comment

Steven Clift <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Dec 1999 11:08:48 -0500

From:                   Steven Clift <[log in to unmask]>
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Subject:                White House E-Gov E-Society Docs and Comment
Date sent:              Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:26:30 -0600

White House E-Government and E-Society Proposals and Documents
with "Democracy Online Commission" suggestion by Steven Clift

 [Posted to the Democracies Online Newswire
             - Please Forward -
 http://www.e-democracy.org/do - Join today]

Enclosed are two documents from the White House on their E-Government
and E- Society proposals and a general press release.  They include an
emphasis that "The Internet has the potential to enhance civil society
as well as to boost commerce" and the comment that it can "strengthen
our democracy." This is the first time that I have seen the White
House include a strong emphasis on these issues since the early days
of the National Information Infrastructure in 1994.

The Electronic Government memorandum includes a request that "The
Director of the National Science Foundation, working with appropriate
Federal agencies, shall conduct a 1-year study examining the
feasibility of online voting."  The rest of the proposals are
government service oriented.  I am particularly encouraged by their
government portal proposal and e-mail system for citizen queries to
agencies - there should be a full local, state, federal partnership in
this area that creates an open source like directory system like the
Open Directory Project <http://www.dmoz.org/about.html> such that any
site on the Internet can integrate accurate and up-to-date government
information and directory services into their sites.

Democracy Online Commission - A Suggestion

To enhance civil society and truly strength democracy _I suggest_ that
the White House should appoint a more comprehensive "Democracy Online
Commission" that would include online voting research but also make
recommendations on:

- Government use of online consultation and interaction with citizens
- Promoting the use of the Internet in public problem-solving and
public engagement from the local level on up - Steps local, state, and
the federal government can take to make decision- making information
and processes more accessible online - Improving online access to
legislative and rulemaking process at all levels of government

At a minimum the White House should expand the mandate of the NSF
request to include the role of the Internet in both participatory
democracy and the essential functions of representative democracy that
occur after voting.  I make some very strong comments in the New York
Times today
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/12/cyber/articles/18vote.html>
that "We're setting ourselves up for a great failure on the hype
meter."

I saw this in 1994 with the launch of Minnesota E-Democracy and first
set of election sites on the web.  The media generated super hype and
essentially declared that the "e-democracy" future was here.  This
obscured the hard work required to do something transformative with
democracy and citizen participation online.  The hype raised
expectations so high that  disappointment became inevitable - with the
e-commerce boom citizens became consumer on the Internet where we
create less and less and receive more and more.  E-Commerce is a good
thing, but we need balance and need to realize that somethings that we
want will not happen online from an purely commercial model.

In terms of "democracy online" we have seen democratic institutions
from the government, media, and advocacy circles work hard to
integrate information technologies (virtual armor) in to their
_existing ways_ of functioning.  However, the exciting potential to
transform democracy and citizen participation still exists.  I see it
every day in parts of Minnesota and daily discover interesting stories
from around the world.  While I expect that legally binding online
voting will become politically viable well after it is technically
viable, I sincerely hope that the White House, Congress, and leaders
at the state and local level begin to bring people together around a
broad set of ideas and options for improving democracy that can start
today.

Below are the three documents and copy of my October 'Government
Democracy Online Ideas' post which includes 15 unique ideas I'd like
the White House and the NSF to consider.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online Newswire
http://www.e-democracy.org/do <- Join today

P.S. Through my Democracies Online Newswire I have shared a number of
posts that directly relate to the topic at hand - including 'Internet
Voting - Developing a Context,' 'Public Electronic Correspondence
Service Systems - Pecss,' and 'One Government. Anytime. Anywhere.' You
may also find my 'A Wired Agora,' 'Democracy is Online,' and
envisioning the 'Public Internet' presentations and articles to be of
interest.  To view these messages see the right hand column at:
http://www.publicus.net

These releases gathered from:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/WH/html/briefroom.html

                              THE WHITE HOUSE

                       Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release                          December 17, 1999

                       December 17, 1999

MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES

SUBJECT:       Electronic Government

My Administration has put a wealth of information online.  However,
when it comes to most Federal services, it can still take a paper form
and weeks of processing for something as simple as a change of
address.

While Government agencies have created "one-stop-shopping" access to
information on their agency web sites, these efforts have not
uniformally been as helpful as they could be to the average citizen,
who first has to know which agency provides the service he or she
needs.  There has not been sufficient effort to provide Government
information by category of information and service -- rather than by
agency -- in a way that meets people's needs.

Moreover, as public awareness and Internet usage increase, the demand
for online Government interaction and simplified, standardized ways to
access Government information and services becomes increasingly
important.  At the same time, the public must have confidence that
their online communications with the Government are secure and their
privacy protected.

Therefore, to help our citizens gain one-stop access to existing
Government information and services, and to provide better, more
efficient, Government services and increased Government
accounta-bility to its citizens, I hereby direct the officials in this
memorandum, in conjunction with the private sector as appropriate, to
take the following actions:

1.   The Administrator of General Services, in coordination with the
National Partnership for Rein-venting Government, the Chief
Information Officers' Council, the Government Information Technology
Services Board, and other appro-priate agencies shall promote access
to Government infor-mation organized not by agency, but by the type of
service or information that people may be seeking; the data should be
identified and organized in a way that makes it easier for the public
to find the information it seeks.

2.   The heads of executive departments and agencies (agencies) shall,
     the maximum extent possible, make available online, by December
     2000, the forms needed for the top 500 Government services used
     by the public.  Under the Government Paperwork Elimination Act,
     where appropriate, by October 2003, transactions with the Federal
     Government should be available online for online processing of
     services.  To achieve this goal, the Director of the Office of
     Management and Budget shall oversee agency development of
     responsible strategies to make transactions available online.

3.   The heads of agencies shall promote the use of electronic
commerce,
     where appropriate, for faster, cheaper ordering on Federal
     procurements that will result in savings to the taxpayer.

4.   The heads of agencies shall continue to build good privacy
practices
     into their web sites by posting privacy policies as directed by
     the Director of the Office of Management and Budget and by
     adopting and implementing information policies to protect
     children's information on web sites that are directed at
     children.

5.   The head of each agency shall permit greater access to its
officials
     by creating a public electronic mail address through which
     citizens can contact the agency with ques-tions, comments, or
     concerns.  The heads of each agency shall also provide disability
     access on Federal web sites.

6.   The Director of the National Science Foundation, working with
     appropriate Federal agencies, shall conduct a 1-year study
     examining the feasibility of online voting.

7.   The Secretaries of Health and Human Services, Education, Veterans
     Affairs, and Agriculture, the Commissioner of Social Security,
     and the Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency,
     working closely with other Federal agencies that provide benefit
     assistance to citizens, shall make a broad range of benefits and
     services available though private and secure electronic use of
     the Internet.

8.   The Administrator of General Services, in coordination with the
     Secretary of the Treasury, the Secretary of Commerce, the
     Government Information Tech-nology Services Board, the National
     Partnership for Reinventing Government, and other appropriate
     agencies and organizations, shall assist agencies in the
     development of private, secure, and effective communication
     across agencies and with the public, through the use of public
     key technology.  In light of this goal, agencies are encouraged
     to issue, in coordination with the General Services
     Administration, a Government-wide minimum of 100,000 digital
     signature certificates by December 2000.

9.   The heads of agencies shall develop a strategy for upgrading
their
     respective agency's capacity for using the Internet to become
     more open, efficient, and respon-sive, and to more effectively
     carry out the agency's mission.  At a minimum, this strategy
     should involve:

     (a)  expanded training of Federal employees, including employees
     with
          policy and senior management responsibility;

     (b)  identification and adoption of "best practices" implemented
     by
          leading public and private sector organizations;

     (c)  recognition for Federal employees who suggest new and
     innovative
          agency applications of the Internet;

     (d)  partnerships with the research community for experimentation
     with
          advanced applications; and

     (e)  mechanisms for collecting input from the agency's
     stakeholders
          regarding agency use of the Internet.

10.  Items 1-8 of this memorandum and my July 1, 1997, and November
30,
     1998, memoranda shall be conducted subject to the availability of
     appropriations and consistent with agencies' priorities and my
     budget, and to the extent permitted by law.

11.  The Vice President shall continue his leadership in coordinating
the
     United States Government's electronic commerce strategy.
     Further, I direct that the heads of executive departments and
     agencies report to the Vice President and to me on their progress
     in meeting the terms of this memorandum, through the Electronic
     Commerce Working Group in its annual report.

                                   WILLIAM J. CLINTON

                                   # # #

December 17, 1999

MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES

                              THE WHITE HOUSE

                       Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release                         December 17, 1999

                             December 17, 1999

MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES

SUBJECT:            Use of Information Technology to Improve Our
Society

The Internet and other information and communications technologies are
changing the way we work, learn, communicate with each other, and do
business.  These technologies are shaping our economy and our society
in the same way that the steam engine and electricity defined the
Industrial Age.

In recent years, information technology has driven the U.S. economy.
Businesses are scrambling to use the Internet to increase
productivity, boost exports, cut the time required to develop new
products, and forge closer relationships with customers and suppliers.
 My Administration has pursued a market-led approach to global
electronic commerce that relies whenever possible on private sector
leadership and seeks to eliminate legal and regulatory barriers to
electronic commerce while protecting the public interest.

The Internet has the potential to enhance civil society as well as to
boost commerce.  Used creatively, the Internet and informa-tion
technology can be a powerful tool for tackling some of our toughest
social challenges as well as fostering economic growth.  Information
technology can and is being used to make it easier for working adults
to acquire new skills, increase access to healthcare in isolated rural
communities, improve the quality of life for people with disabilities,
and strengthen our democracy.

My Administration has led the effort to explain and support the
commercial and societal benefits of information technology to the
American people. However, we can and must do more.  To that end, I am
directing executive department and agency heads in this memorandum to
take certain actions.  As they carry out these actions, they should:
(a) adopt policies that will remove barriers to private sector
investment in Internet applications; (b) explore partnerships with
companies, State, local, and tribal governments, and other entities,
such as nonprofit organizations and universities; (c) explore
innovative mechanisms for fostering a national discussion on the
potential of the electronic society; (d) consider other policies to
promote the electronic society, such as the establishment of national
goals; and (e) review the recommendations of the President's
Information Technology Advisory Committee, particularly as they relate
to support for information technology applications with broad societal
benefits.

Therefore, to further promote the broader social benefits of the
Information Age to the American people, I direct the officials in this
memorandum to take the following actions:

1.   The Secretary of Health and Human Services shall identify
additional
     steps that can be taken to promote expanded access to higher
     quality, cost-effective health care to underserved rural
     communities and inner city clinics, and other health-care
     applications of information technology.

2.   The Secretary of Education shall support and encourage States and
     local communities to make "school report cards" available on the
     Internet.  The Secretary of the Interior shall make it possible
     for "school report cards" on Bureau of Indian Affairs schools and
     tribally controlled schools to be available on the Internet.

3.   The Secretaries of Education and Labor shall work with States and
     institutions of higher education to remove legal and regulatory
     barriers to high-quality distance learning, to increase awareness
     of the availability of distance learning as an alternative means
     of education and training, and to find ways to promote the
     earning of credentials through distance learning.  The Secretary
     of Education shall assist the Tribal Colleges and Universities in
     developing associate and baccalaureate programs in information
     technology, using innovative distance learning technology.

4.   The Secretary of Education shall propose the next phase of my
     Administration's Educational Technology Initiative.  The next
     phase should address teacher training, the inte-gration of
     technology in the curriculum, the evaluation of technology, the
     market for educational software and web content, the need for
     more multimedia computers in the classroom, and the need for
     investments in educational technology research and development.

5.   The Secretary of Labor shall determine how telecommuting
     might be used to help more disabled Americans get jobs       and
     to provide jobs for Americans located in geographic   regions
     outside traditional commuting areas, including   isolated tribal
     communities.

6.   The Secretary of Education and the Director of the National
Science
     Foundation shall develop a research agenda for making the
     Internet and information technology more usable by persons with
     disabilities.  The Secretary of Commerce shall encourage the
     private sector to make web content, software, and development
     tools more accessible for people with disabilities by adopting
     technical standards consistent with the Web Accessibility
     Initiative.

7.   The Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency shall
develop
     a national strategy for promoting environ-mental applications of
     information technology (such as disseminating information about
     manufacturing techniques that reduce pollution, and increasing
     the timeliness of environmental information).

8.   The Secretary of Agriculture shall identify services that can be
     delivered electronically to rural Americans (such as the results
     of Federally funded research at our Nation's land-grant
     universities), and develop the policies needed to promote the
     availability of advanced telecommunications services in rural and
     tribal communities.

9.   The Secretary of Commerce shall identify policies that will
encourage
     more effective use of information technology by nonprofit
     organizations.

10.  The Secretary of the Treasury, in coordination with appropriate
     Federal agencies and private sector stakeholders, shall identify
     policy initiatives that promote greater access to financial
     services through the use of information technology.

11.  The Secretary of the Interior shall identify policies that will
     accelerate the use of unclassified geospatial information systems
     at the State, local, and tribal level.

12.  The Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency shall
work
     with research universities and the private sector to apply
     advances in information technology to managing the consequences
     of natural and man-made disasters.

13.  The Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, the
     Director of the National Science Foundation, the Director   of
     the National Park Service, and the Director of the   Institute of
     Museum and Library Services shall work with     the private
     sector and cultural and educational institutions across the
     country to create a Digital          Library of Education to
     house this country's cultural and     educational resources.

14.  The Attorney General shall work with Federal, State, local, and
tribal
     law enforcement agencies to use information technologies to make
     our Nation's communities safer.

15.  Items 1-14 of this memorandum and my July 1, 1997, and November
30,
     1998, memoranda shall be conducted subject to the availability of
     appropriations, consistent with the agencies' priorities and my
     budget, and to the extent permitted by law.

16.  The Vice President shall continue his leadership in coordinating
the
     United States Government's electronic commerce strategy.
     Further, I direct that the heads of agencies report to the Vice
     President and to me on their progress in meeting the terms of the
     memorandum, through the Electronic Commerce Working Group (ECWG)
     in its annual report.  To the extent that substantial new policy
     issues emerge, the analysis and action on those policies will be
     coordinated in a manner consistent with the responsibilities of
     the ECWG, the National Economic Council, and the Domestic Policy
     Council, as appropriate.

                              WILLIAM J. CLINTON

                                   ###

                              THE WHITE HOUSE

                       Office of the Vice President
_____ ___ For Immediate Release
Contact: Friday, December 17, 1999
202-456-7035

                       VICE PRESIDENT GORE ANNOUNCES
              EFFORTS TO EXPAND AND IMPROVE ON-LINE SERVICES

 Encourages Federal-Private Partnerships to Make Government Services
 More
                                Accessible

     Washington, D.C.  --  Vice President Gore announced today two
     bold new
initiatives to expand the benefits of the digital age to all
Americans.

     Specifically, the Vice President announced the signing of two new
executive memorandums. The first, the "E-Government Directive", calls
on federal agencies to use technology to ensure that governmental
services and information are easily accessible to the American people.
The second, the "E-Society Directive", calls on federal agencies to
use information technology to help enrich the education and lives of
all our citizens (see attached fact sheet). Under both directives,
federal agencies will work cooperatively with the private sector.

     The Vice President also released Towards Digital eQuality, the
     Second
Annual Report of the Electronic Commerce Working Group, which details
the Administration's accomplishments over the past year promoting
electronic commerce and sets a vision for the future.  Highlights
include steps taken to protect consumer rights and privacy online,
facilitate the growth of the Internet, and bring the benefits of
electronic commerce to more people. Today's report may be found at
www.ecommerce.gov.

     The growth of electronic commerce has outpaced even the most
optimistic predictions and is now expected to exceed $1.4 trillion by
the year 2003.  During this holiday season alone, shoppers are
expected to spend about $6 billion online.

     The new initiatives announced today, however, take us beyond the
commercial aspects of electronic commerce and challenge us to use
technology to better society through improved health care, education,
emergency response, protecting our cultural treasures, and improving
government services and accountability to citizens.

     "This Administration has been committed to promoting electronic
commerce, helping open the door to those with good ideas and an
Internet connection," said Vice President Gore. "But in order to meet
the full potential of this new medium, we must continue to look ahead
and develop new ways to promote 21st century commerce."

     These two new initiatives, together with the directive announced
     last
week on closing the digital divide, will be a central part of the
Administration's agenda on electronic commerce for the upcoming year.
The agenda will challenge both government and the private sector to
find new ways to bring the promise of the Internet to all and move
America towards digital equality.

     Each initiative "moves us beyond the world of bits and bytes and
     into
the fabric of our society," Vice President Gore said.  "As we enter
the new millennium, we must use technology to unleash the full
benefits of the digital age for all our citizens."

                                   #

For more posts like the one below see "Raw Materials - Important
Original Posts" in the lower right column at
<http://www.publicus.net>.