Chris

We use Edwards scroll pumps to back the turbos on our organic
electrospray instruments and they work OK at a much higher pressure
(1-2mBar) than those routinely pumping analysers including stable isotope.
The advantage of scroll pumps is that you no longer have the problem of
oil backstreaming back up the line to the turbo and causing possible
contamination.
The disadvantage is that you have to change the scroll seals every 12-18
months or so and this is fiddly job and the seals I bought this year
cost 225 GB PDS each from Edwards.

John Hill
Mass Spectrometry Facility
University College London