Thanks for the history lesson Dirk.  There's a lot of stuff I didn't know there.  Everyone tends to think that with the history of Lake Placid's Olympic involvement that Whiteface has hosted two Olympics.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe downhill skiing wasn't introduced into the Olympics until 1936.  For sure, Whiteface didn't exist in 1932 as it does today.  Jim
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Dirk Gouwens
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Marble Mtn?

Sure.
Marble Mt was the original ski area at Whiteface through the 30's and 40's.  the
present ski area was developed in the mid fifties and opened in 1957.  The Marble
Mountain base lodge is now the Atmospheric Research Science Center.  It is a really
cool log cabin structure that dates back to the 30's.  Real Adirondack Great Camp
stuff.
Currently, part of the parking area is used as hiker parking and the old t-bar line
is an unmarked access to the trail that begins in Wilmington and continues up to the
spur trail to Esther and on to Whiteface.
The trails have completely grown in now since it has been 40+ years since they were
abandoned.  Pretty gnarly stuff.  The kind of second growth stuff that more closely
resembles twisted spider webs.  The  lower reaches of it also were badly decimated
by the ice storm of 98.  don't even think about venturing off the beaten path.
You'll end up tripping and stumbling over all that dead stuff that broke off the top
of the trees.

An interesting side note is that the original ski area is actually a couple of rope
tows up higher on the flanks of Whiteface used in the twenties.