I just had this as a ref question!  It is still on my clipboard...

Early-life risk factors and the
development of Alzheimer's disease

V. M. Moceri, PhD; W. A. Kukull, PhD; I. Emanuel, MD, MSPM; G. van Belle,
PhD; E. B.
Larson, MD, MPH

From the Departments of Epidemiology (Drs. Moceri, Kukull, and Emanuel),
Environmental Health and
Biostatistics (Dr. van Belle), and Medicine (Dr. Larson), University of
Washington, Seattle.

NEUROLOGY 2000;54:415
Article abstract-Objective: To investigate the association of early-life
factors with AD.
Background: The early-life environment and its effect on growth and
maturation of children and
adolescents are linked to many adult chronic diseases (heart disease,
stroke, hypertension, and
diabetes mellitus), and these effects are also linked to maternal
reproduction. AD may have an
early-life link. The areas of the brain that show the earliest signs of AD
are the same areas of the
brain that take the longest to mature during childhood and adolescence. A
poor-quality childhood
or adolescent environment could prevent the brain from reaching complete
levels of maturation.
Lower levels of brain maturation may put people at higher risk for AD.
Methods: In a
community-based case-control study (393 cases, 377 controls), we
investigated the association of
early-life factors and AD. Early-life variables include mother's age at
patient's birth, birth order,
number of siblings, and area of residence before age 18 years. Patient
education level and
apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotypes were also included in the analysis.
Results: Area of residence
before age 18 years and number of siblings are associated with subsequent
development of AD.
For each additional child in the family the risk of AD increases by 8% (OR =
1.08, 95% CI = 1.01
to 1.15). More controls compared with cases grew up in the suburbs (OR =
0.45, 95% CI = 0.25
to 0.82). APOE 4 and the patient's education level did not confound or
modify the associations.
Conclusions: The early-life childhood and adolescent environment is
associated with the risk of
AD.

Key words: Early life; Childhood; Adolescence; AD; Chronic disease

                         NEUROLOGY 54 January (2 of 2) 2000

Laurel Windrem, Librarian
Health Sciences Library
Kaiser Permanente Med Ctr