Richard Mayer, ER MD as properly stated, wrote:

> The population most at risk for PSHI, and those most
> likely to benefit from helmets are those under the age of 17.
> Helmet use has reduced serious head injuries in bicyclists by up to 70%.
When I was patrolling at Sugarbush eleven years ago, the patrol didn't like
helmets as a rule. The reason: very difficult to assess the patient without
compromising the spine. :-( We were not going to remove the helmet in the
field, clinic, or ambulance. Removal would be left to the hospital. Having
said that, I continue to recommend helmets to pedis (which my definition is
under 18). As for adults, it is there call.

I am very safety conscious, *always* wear my helmet when I'm on either my
road or mountain bike, but have not and preferably will not a helmet.
Granted I have had one serious ski injury (lost an edge, went into soft snow
on the side of the trail, pitched forward, and tested the hardness of a rock
maple with my head - was unconscious for 10-15 minutes according to
witnesses but the Killington patrol did not backboard me) which a helmet
would have lessed my injuries but I won't get one. If I start cliff diving
off the Palisades here at Squaw or up at the Sugar Bowl, I will get the
helmet.

> Wearing  a helmet is a matter of personal choice and should remain so.
Amen. *AMEN*.

~Tom
Obligatory snow note: Started January at 32% of normal snow pack. We are now
up to about 85%. I'm a much happier camper now. Anyone with green plaid and
skiing Tahoe should drop me a line.

Disclosure: Opinions are mine and do not reflect the Sugarbush patrol.