Maybe they (JCAHO) think "its all on the Internet" : - (

Margaret Bandy, MLS, AHIP
Manager, Exempla Healthcare Libraries
1835 Franklin Street/ Denver, CO 80218
Phone 303-837-7848   Fax 303-837-7977
Email  [log in to unmask]
http://www.exempla.org
Opinions expressed are mine and do not represent Exempla Healthcare

>>> Webster Library <[log in to unmask]> 02/14 2:15 PM >>>
Margaret -

I have no argument with your point of view - I AGREE with you.  We need
to keep on reminding the JCAHO of what we do, and why we are important,
and need to be visited.  Forthermore, Patient care issues are strongly
related to our services.  SInce JCAHO strongly emphasises pateint
teaching etc. issues more and more
hospitlas are opening COnsumer Libraries for just such reasons.  When
JCAHO want "more", Administrators listen.

In too many istitutions, however, Adminisration does not
see the relationship between Consumer information and general library
information, and think that a bunch of brochures and whatever nurses do
with patients is enough.  It is a rare administrator who reacts
"properly" (my terminology) and connects the two.  Too often, such
services become the property of are given to Marketing/Outreach etc.
with no forthought for "library" type services, and with no know
how of how to run such a place.  i have not heard much about the
"Long-Life" library services, but once Ms. Long sets up such a
facility, often there is not floow-up.  We all know what happens to
"collections" when there is no professional know-how.

In short - MLA worked with JCAHO, and it saw some promise and some
improvement, but it seems to be  sliding back.  There is plenty for
MLA to be vigilant, to "push", and individual librarians NEED such
backup and support.

Dalia Kleinmuntz                                          847/570-2664
Webster Library                                      FAX: 847/570-2926
Evanston Hospital/Evanston Northwestern Healthcare
2650 Ridge Ave
Evanston IL 60201                                 [log in to unmask]

"Behold the turtle who makes progress only when he sticks his neck out"
- James Brynat Conant, 1893-1973