>Hi Shelly,
The cheif of surgery in our department felt that there are really few "true"
urgent vascular studies that are ordered here, due to the large number of
normal studies that we do here.  He keeps statistics on all studies done by
our computer system so he can track abnormals.  He said that if the ER got a
patient with high probability for DVT, that they could start treatment in
the ER and wait for the tech to get in the next morning, or if it is a
carotid territory TIA, they could come in the next day, and if they have an
acute arterial problem, they should just go to angio and bypass the vascular
lab anyhow.  So like I  said before, we really get only 2 or 3 patients a
month that need to wait for a vascular study.  It just works really well for
our lab,
and makes the doctors think twice about keeping a bogus venous patient
in the ER all night, rather than calling in a tech at 2am.
bye Kay Yost