Michael Taub wrote:

In a message dated 4/4/00 12:43:24 AM, [log in to unmask]
writes:

That was yours truly.  Frankly, it was and is one of my better
analogies. The industry as whole doesn't give a rat's ass (nor frankly
should it) about terrain that only 1% of the skiing population can ski,
will ski or will ever use.  That's what the backcountry is for.

------------
I swore I wouldn't get involved in this as it is a dead end, but I gotta
say that I don't think that this is true.  Look at Big Sky and the tram
they built a few years ago.  If you haven't seen it , the tram services
the top of Lone Peak, with some of the steepest, toughest terrain
anywhere, inbounds or out.  Most people are scared to leave the top hut,
let alone ski down.  But it has boosted Big Sky's image and revenues
like nothing else.  People like to take the ride up to get scared, and
wish they could ski it.

---------------
The analogy is incorrect.  The Big Sky Tram is a great idea, but
remember:
1. it services terrain that a relatively high percentage of skiers can
use, say about 10-20% (some not well mind you).  If my kids can ski the
Siverado lift at Squaw Valley, they can do the tram terrain when we
eventually get there. This is no the "1%" example that I used in my
example.

2. the tram is a spectacular BFL which allowed Big Sky to claim "the
greatest vertical in the US" for awhile.  Hey, all the killer terrain
existed before they ran the "dreaded BFL" up there, and the public
responded with a collective yawn and ignored the mountain.  In fact, I
wish I would have thought of using Big Sky to prove the formula that
more BFLs=more skiers=better resorts.

-------------
About the McLaren Analogy, I am not sure if it is valid, becaouse the
McLaren costs over $1,000,000, whereas backcountry skiing is cheap.

--------------

What I said in respect to the McLaren example was that it is perhaps the
ultimate example of satisfiying a niche, quality market.  It offers
presumably the "best quailty experience" in driving.  However, whether
McLaren ever builds another vehicle is absolutely immaterial to the auto
industry as a whole, or to the average driver.  Sure, he/she may
lust/dream that someday they might get to drive one, but it really
doesn't matter to General Motors any more than my lusting after Cindy
Crawford affects my realtionship with Briar......whoah, that last part
didn't sound exactly right in print....Why would I ever lust after Cindy
Crawford? ;-))))))