For a few years they were prohibiting access via the train, but as I
understand it the barriers were pretty easy to get around. I could see
people skiing the East Snowfields via the Auto Rd when I was on Boott
Spur last May.  That was like May 9th. You can tell when the road opens
when you start to see moguls forming up there. This year I wouldnt be
surprised if it opens earlier. They were still well covered two weeks
ago, and they got some snow this week (not much, but some) so there
might be something to ski on when it opens. Chris, go get David
Goodman's book "Backcountry Skiing Adventures", it explains the ins/outs
of the Rockpile in great detail. mountwashington.org and tuckerman.org
both have good resources for springs skiers as well.