>        You are allowed to relax when you reach 80.  Hugh Hermann, what do
you do for staying in shape?  Please pound your chest as it will become an
example for all of us.  Ditto for Denis.

Hugh is the real hero here.  I am in decent, not good, shape but people
give me more than deserved credit due to age.  Basically I echo what Mark
says with a few cautions.

I like outdoor exercise and don't do it unless it's fun.  Cycling is fun
and rollerblades are a lot of fun.  Ask Telenaut Dan.  BTW Dan is the offer
to come up for a NYC street skating weekend still open?  That would be a
blast.  I do some slow jogging too, mostly just carryover from a lifetime
habit since I was a HS & college distance runner.  I enjoy running a lot
more since my cardiologist forbid me to rev the engine too high.  Keep the
pace to a downright easy level and just let the mind free associate while
strolling along; it's very relaxing.  There is much to be said for long
slow workouts at 60 - 70% of Max heart rate.  A typical summer week for me
consists of 5 - 6 days of working out with one 6 mile run, 2 bike rides - a
20 miler on a weekday evening & a 50 miler on the weekend, 1-2 days of
Nautilus and 1-2 days of skating (8-10 miles per session).  In the fall I
switch some biking and running days for climbing mountains in the
Shenandoah National Park.  This isn't as good as climbing on skis with
climbing skins but it's the closest I can get here.

Then I do little stuff.  Always take the stairs; for me that's 4 or 5 reps
per day on 4 flights here at work.  Always park in the most distant corner
of the parking lot.  Do pushups and crunches in the office after sitting
too long or to relieve stress.  I also have a personally altered tai chi
routine for building tele muscles.  The little things add up and can be
done any time.

I do heavy weights with the Nautilus to be strong.  There is just no
substitute for strength in skiing; it gets you out of all kinds of tight
spots and protects against injury and osteoporosis as well.  Strength is
essential for telemarking. Nobody in the gym can match my weights on the
lower body machines.  There used to be an ex Redskins lineman who couldn't
do it.  If you're serious about skiing and you're not doing strength
training now - get busy.

There is a flip side and it calls for caution.  The older one gets the
easier it seems to be to tear & stain things and the longer they take to
heal.  At the same time you must train a bit harder with each advancing
year, just to hold ground.  5 years ago I tore a hamstring.  It took 8
months, 3 multi week sessions of physical therapy, and 3 re-tears before it
healed.  I have a bad left rotator cuff that almost heals every summer,
then gets reinjured skiing.  This has been going on for 4 or 5 years.  It
seems there are always one or more Nautilus machines on which my weights
are sub par due to injury rehab.  Then there are the arthritic knees, sigh.
 So you must practice intelligent management of injuries and get used to
it.  2 days before going on that long dreamed about trip to the Selkirk
backcountry I re-tore that hamstring in a last all out Nautilus session -
this was _DUMB_.  Taper off on intensity before a big event.  Surprisingly
it was not a hindrance on the trip, probably because the surrounding
muscles have been built up enough over 10 years of weight training to take
up the slack.  I like Mark Twain's remark that aging is a pain but its
better than the alternative.

Train consistently but don't get too serious or the fun will go away,
you'll hate it, then you won't do it.  On the Selkirk trip I remarked to
Larry, the guide, that I should have carried a heavy pack on my WV
backcountry days and used heavy skis and boots to get a better workout.
His reply was, "Why?  You had fun going light and fast, and total days are
more important than how hard you work on those days.  More days like that
will help more than the same number of days carrying a heavier load."

Denis