>From:         Jeff Eriksen <[log in to unmask]>

>A pleasant benefit which
accompanied better weight distribution was a sense of natural rhythm.  There
was an inherent "spring" in the motion, just after loading the skis
(concentrating on the aft ski).  Is this a side effect of a stretched lower
leg (achilles)?  One thing I'm quite sure of is the fact that I don't have
the legs required to make the quick tele-transitions on steeper terrain.  I
hope to come up with pair at a tent sale or something ;-)  Any listers
looking to sell really strong legs?  Maybe instead, I'll get to do lunges
all
>summer.

Jeff,

Delighted to hear of your success, you made my day.  Yes, the spring comes
from the stretch loaded into your legs as well as the rebound of the bent
ski and even the boot rocker (the curl built into the boot sole which on
the front foot will spring back when you relieve pressure).  To have
experienced the spring at this early stage means you're progressing very
well.  It took me a long time although the equipment was not nearly so good
when I started.  On groomed terrain you don't need that spring but it sure
helps in heavy snow and on the steeps.

I once read that a kangaroo gets 90% of the energy in each hop returned by
it's highly elastic muscles & tendons.  To keep a steady pace it only needs
to put out 10%.  It's more efficient than any quadruped.  That's what we
need, kangaroo legs.  They can be taught boxing.  Wonder if they could be
taught to tele.  Better yet cross species transplants?  It probably takes a
knee dropping wacko to even think of it.

When doing those lunges land with 50/50 weight distribution on your feet.
In the aerobics classes that my wife loves they always weight the front
foot heavily.  This is bad training for the tele and probably bad for the
knees as well.  As an alternative to the "Skier's Edge" machine (which is
just for alpine skiing) I was thinking about getting an industrial strength
rubber mat and an aerobics step, then jumping back and forth over it
landing in a tele position.  When I find the right mat with enough shock
absorbing capacity I'll do it.

Denis