I hope some kind soul can help me.  Has the CDC published new definitions
for Nosocomial Infections since 1988 & 1992?  I have searched their
website, and do not find it particularly helpful.  Each time I put in
different word combinations, I get hundreds or even thousands of hits, and
I have waded through some of these.  Our infection control nurse wants to
know if she has their NEWEST definitions for her policy.  Evidently, there
is a document called "Centers for Disease Control Guidelines for
Determining Presence and Classification of Nosocomial Infections" - I
found this on another website, but was denied access to the actual
document.  If they are like other government agencies, there is no way to
get a "real person" on the phone if you try to call them.  Their website
lists a resource, L-276 entitled "CDC Definitions for Nosocomial
Infections", but it is dated 1988.  I have given her American Journal of
Infection Control 4/99 p. 101 "Criteria for defining a surgical site
infection" and the CDC document "Operational Definitions for Year 2000
Onjectives, Priority 20, Immunization and Infectious Diseases, p. 3
"Operational definitions", but she wants a document that gives her their
criteria for determination of each TYPE of nosocomial infection:  Blood
infections, pneumonia, UTI, bone & joint, CNS infections, etc.

If anyone knows how to search their website more effectively than I do,
please let me know.  I'm about to refer her to her professional
organization, but this group has come through for me before, so thanks!

Please reply directly to me, as I read this list in digest form.

Janet Nelson
Community Hospital Library
Grand Jct., CO