Bill - I appreciate the information and will use it as a tool to convince
school boards that they need to address this.  But as you know and I am sure
many others are aware, schools actually had two choices with the last few
years of grants.  Either purchase hardware or do not apply for the grant.
In the last round, the Fed's finally said 25% has to be spent on PD and that
is great as we do have all this equipment and it is now time to train
people.  But I do not believe that for one minute that OENSU, or any other
district in this state, was in a position to pass up the TLC Grants because
they did not have a solid PD plan in place.  I know that we were not.  It
seems that in both cases, the horse was before the cart.  The restrictions
of the grants a few years ago, and the government understanding the need for
PD around technology.  I guess I look at these articles and feel like our
hands are being slapped for taking advantage of the hardware grants and not
having a solid PD plan in place.  I have seen a number of these articles
lately and have had teachers say to me that we did it all wrong here in
OENSU - "We should have had the training first."  Well, first of all what
would you do the training on, and secondly, where would the money come from.
I think that it is now getting straightened out.  PD money is in many of the
schools budgets, and there are grants available for it.  But these articles
and presentations telling teachers that their districts are "out to lunch"
for purchasing hardware with grant money are out of touch with what is
actually happening or happened.  We got the message.

Jumped off my soap box - thanks for the info. - I will use it.

Rick Shover

North Troy Consulting Services
Where you and technology come together.
134 Highland Ave.