I know a local library that took their most-stolen books and used a big
black (or red, I forget which) marker on the spine, edges and cover to put
their name on it.  You could see from 3 ft. away that it belonged to them.
Nobody seemed to want to walk around with an obviously stolen book.  Anyone
want to elaborate on that method?

Any kind of controlled access via keypad, etc. is only as good as the
willingness of your administration to actually question people who were
there when the theft occurs.  Ask yourself if one of the VPs or other top
administrators would call Dr. Smith, Dr. Jones, etc. and say that the
library was robbed of 7 internal meds books last night--do they know
anything about it?  Would they only question the students or would they call
up someone in one of their top practices?  It isn't only students who steal.
Joy
Joy Kennedy, MLS
Health Resource Library
Northwest Community Healthcare