I would like input from any of you who currently or in the past have worked
in coporate/law libraries that require the librarian to bill their time to
various projects/clients.  If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize
for the list.  Please respond directly to me and feel free to forward this
brief survey on to other appropriate lists since I don't belong to any lists
for law librarians etc.

1.      What percent of your time is expected to be billable time?
________%

2.      If you do not meet that percentage of billable time by providing
library services such as searches/interlibrary loans etc. for
projects/clients, are you expected to do other work to get the billable
hours?  _________Yes    _________No
        If yes, please give examples of the types of work.  (e.g. Index case
materials, prepare tables of date in Excel, etc.)

3.      Are you aware of any sources/recommendations about this topic?  (I
remember reading something in a book on fee-based library services that if I
remember correctly said that 35% billable time  was a reasonable amount so
that the librarian could take care of administrative duties)

Thanks in advance for your input.

Auburn

Auburn Steward, MLIS, AHIP
Center for Toxicology & Environmental Health
Hendrix Hall, Suite 100A
4301 W. Markham--Slot 767
Little Rock, AR 72205
501-614-2834