Yikes! Sounds the same dilemma as the school libraries asked to take _Tom
Sawyer_ off the shelves because it contains the "N" word, despite its
anti-bigotry and anti-slavery content.

My first, armchair reaction would be to refuse to censor for this reason
alone - but then, I'm not faced with a Diversity Coordinator who thinks in
such narrow terms. If the name used for a syndrome is the only reason to
object to a book then please, hold your ground! Besides the absurdity of the
complaint, it's also a slippery slope - shall we throw out the collected
works of Sigmund Freud because his theories are flawed by the sexist and
racist assumptions of his culture? (I'd be more inclined to do that,
actually ...)

It might be more productive to take a position that says "I'm not going to
reject good clinical information just because it contains offensive language
- but I will work with you to:
 1) make sure my library also has books on appropriate non-racist,
non-sexist language,
 2) write to the editor of this book to protest its terminology, and
 3) look for alternatives that are just as clinically valid but that don't
contain bigoted terminology.

-- Lise M. Dyckman
   Solomon Medical Library
   St. Mary's Medical Center, San Francisco
   (415) 750-5795