Members of the Medical Library Association,

We are calling for your proposals or article manuscripts for publication in our next issue, Winter, 2001. The theme desired is "identifying and retrieving the literature of science and health policy."

According to the current paradigm, public policy is what government does. However, science and health policy encompasses far more, The "new partnership" of the Reagan, Bush, and Clinton administrations involves the formal association of universities, government, and industry in research joint ventures (CREADAS) as well as in billions of dollars in research grants and purchases of services and supplies. Some describe the university-government-industry relationship as a triple helix (Lyesdorff,2000; Etzkowitz, 2000).  Some point to market place as the primary source of policy. The field of federalism views science and health policy to encompass the dynamics of the individuals, private and public organizations in all spheres of society. Moreover, the fields of sociology of science and medicine suggests that neither science nor medicine can be fully understood without considering the social and cultural environment and determinants.

Needless to say, the above definitions are vast. Yet, if there is a salient thread, a schema, that makes science and health policy unique, it is to be found among the literature. How should students of science and health policy go about finding the literature. The contemporary field of public policy studies cuts horizontally through the disciplines. It is an eclectic but discrete approach according to the issues being studied. Moreover, the fields of scientific and medical research are unified by scientific methodology and the philosophy of science as well as by cross-cutting disciplines. Yet there is some competition between physical scientists and medical researchers over funding priorities. Finally, the enterprise of science and the "endless frontier" paradigm a la Vanaveer Bush that has been the mainstay of US science policy the past fifty years, views the progress of the physical sciences, medical research, and health care as integral to the national security and economic development of the nation.

Given the multitude approaches, integrations, rivalries, and the rising interest in the field, how can the body of literature germane to science and health policy be identified and catalogued to facilitate retrieval? How can the researcher know how to locate it all or most of it?  What is the existing taxonomy and what might it be changed to? How should a search be conducted? Are changes in information retrieval needed? Please feel free to approach the subject as you wish.

Articles should be about 5000 words. They can be expanded to 7000 words if necessary after review. We prefer the Chicago style of preparation. Submissions should be via e-mail attachment and addressed to editor@Scipolicy,net . Figure on a deadline of November 1, 2000 for submission of the first full draft.

If we get enough articles, we will publish a special issue or supplement on the theme. Such an issue would be very useful to students, researchers, practitioners, and administrators. It could also be updated annually to keep it current.

We will review all proposals and manuscripts internally and let you know if they are being sent out for peer review.

We look forward to receive your proposals and papers.

Best wishes,

Stephen Miles Sacks, MPA, Ph.D.,
Editor and Publisher

SCIPOLICY-The Journal of Science and Health Policy
Box 504, Haverford, PA 19041
Voice and Fax: 610-658-2332 (24 hours)
Website: http://www.Scipolicy.net
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

The premier issue is for Fall 2000 is now in publication.  The issue focuses on The Future of Large-Scale Health Systems and  includes several articles on health systems and the problems, changes in institutional ethics, and a case study of the University of Pennsylvania Health System. Subscriptions and orders for individual copies can be placed on line at http://www.Scipolicy.net. The Internet edition of The Journal is also available at the website. Manuscripts and contributions for the printed and Internet editions are  welcome.